Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Go2See

Hints about FRAM and the jackets...

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I am going on the Fram in June or july this year to Svalbard.  I will be in an inside cabin.  They say they provide a jacket.   I am wondering if that means it is a warm jacket or just a shell?

Any other info about the ship, the things they supply or its set up or secret places to hang out, don't miss it food or ??? or any other hints... I would be grateful for it.

Thank you!!!!

Edited by Go2See
change title

We did a trip on Fram to Antarctica this last December/January.

When we were issued the jacket we were a bit disappointed, as it seemed quite flimsy. However, it turned out to be an excellent jacket - light but warm and comfortable to wear. It did a very good job on our trip. It is bright red in colour, with a fluro yellow hood! I have worn mine a lot here at home this autumn, but my husband won't wear his because of the colour!

Thank you roaming kiwi58!

Did you wear another jacket under it? 

Can you tell me if the shampoo etc were acceptable or should I bring my own?

Also what was the beverage policy, some expeditions provide a house wine or beer at dinner  others do not...?

Any part of the ship you especially enjoyed?

Thank you!!!!!

(I'm so excited!)

No, we did not wear another jacket underneath. If you layer you can adjust for the weather, Depending on weather we had either short or long sleeved tshirts, then a fleecy jersey, then the Fram jacket. Also gloves and hats. You are going to Svalbard, which I have not visited, so I can't comment, but certainly Antarctica is not as cold as you might expect. Some calm sunny days it got relatively warm! But the wind could be very cold, if it was windy.

We were quite happy with the shampoo on board. 

Water, tea and coffee was available any time - help yourself from the machines by the shop.

Water was provided with meals. All other drinks you had to pay for. Rather than single glasses, we bought bottles of wine and you could drink a glass or two and they would put the rest of the bottle away for another meal.

The lower grade cabins are extremely compact, so you certainly don't spend more time in them than you have to. And  anyway, you have to be somewhere to see the views.

The Observation Lounge at the front and top of the ship is a nice space and a good viewpoint. But it is not the place to be if the seas get rough!  If you need to be lower down the ship in rough weather, there is quite a nice space by reception, but it is not that large. 

Hope this helps!