Best bathrooms

chilly227

Can anyone advise which type of accommodation on board has the best cabin/bathroom layout for two female friends travelling together?. Both 60+ and value our privacy. Any ship, preferably with a Mediterranean itinerary. Thank you.

Well, certainly not Norwegian Epic.  That aside, most standard cabin bathrooms are similar.  Cramped.  If you want a better bathroom, you have to book a suite.  Carnival ships in Dream class and newer have OV cabins with a split bath:  one bathroom has toilet, shower, sink; the other has sink and tub/shower.  Unfortunately for you, they do not sail in Europe.  EM

51 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Well, certainly not Norwegian Epic. 

:classic_biggrin: That was my immediate reaction too.

Just a few times we found ourselves in hotels with similar immodest arrangements.

Beats me why any provider would think that was a cool idea, though this guy does

Note the glass doors to the shower & loo - very demure :classic_rolleyes:

Other than that I can think of no cruise ship that doesn't have totally private en-suite bathrooms.

But nor have I found one that's big enough for those whose pastimes include swinging cats. :classic_wink:

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

As mentioned, bathroom space and amenities are relative to stateroom size and category. A typical double occupancy non-suite stateroom is around 180 +/- sq. ft. in total living space, which includes bed arrangements for two, closet and dresser space, typically a couch or love seat, and a bathroom, which generally is about 6x6 - very small with a single sink with limited storage, modest shower, and toilet.  With RCCL, as example, their Grand Suites offer a double sink with generous storage, toilet, bathtub/shower and are about 8x8.  Owners suites offer the same plus a separate shower and bidet and are about 10x10.  But with anything in a full suite class you will pay a significant premium for the privilege. 

The RCCL Junior Suite is a compromise between a full suite and standard categories and will offer a larger than standard bathroom with a single sink bathtub/shower arrangement.  Pricing is also a compromise between the standard and suite categories.  (The dresser and closet space is also larger). This may be an option to consider.

The bottom line is most cruise lines are similar in terms of overall stateroom size and layout and anything in a standard category room will have a small bathroom with limited space and amenities.  You will have to look at suites to improve on that.

Also note that there is about a 1" gap between the threshold and the base of the bathroom door which allows for air circulation as it is pulled from the stateroom through the bathroom via a ceiling exhaust in the bathroom.  This is to maintain proper stateroom air pressure and circulation.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

as far as inside and regular balcony cabins are concerned, we were pleasantly surprised by the Norwegian Getaway bathroom (regular balcony room). It was spacious and had a lot of shelf space.

Norwegian Jade's OV bathroom layout didn't accommodate a 5'6 person sitting on toilet without hitting the wall with your knees. It was bad. Mom's inside cabin on Jade had the toilet facing towards the open bathroom space, so she didn't have this problem.

Allure of the Seas inside cabin was ok in terms of size, but had barely any shelf space.

Princess (Regal and Caribbean) were very average in terms of general space, and the shower curtain instead of a glass door is a turn off.

6 hours ago, chilly227 said:

the best cabin/bathroom layout

As always, what you think is "best" may not be what someone else thinks is best........so what are you looking for?   A separate dressing room?  Doors separating the bed and lounge space?  Double sinks?  A separate lavatory from the rest of the bathroom?

Most basic cabins, even on luxury ships, will be small - in the range of about 180 sq ft to 280 sq ft.  That space can be outfitted efficiently, but there's no question that it's going to be "close" and unless you take shifts, there will be little privacy from one another.   Suites, of course, will offer more space and possibly more privacy, but they come at a much greater cost.  Even a ship with an "all suite" arrangement (like Regent or Seabourne) offer basic suites that are essentially a larger room with a curtain that can separate the two areas (beds and couches) - of course they offer fancier suites larger than some people's homes, but that's a different category IMO. 

As long as the loo has a toilet, a sink, a shower and a door - what else are you looking for?  The bathroom will be small.  The sink will be small.  The shower will probably be smaller.  That is the way things are on a ship unless you have a very expensive cabin.

DON

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chilly227 said:

Can anyone advise which type of accommodation on board has the best cabin/bathroom layout for two female friends travelling together?. Both 60+ and value our privacy. Any ship, preferably with a Mediterranean itinerary. Thank you.

You didn't state bathroom privacy, but if that is an issue along with maybe getting dressed and such, I would suggest a balcony. Take turns enjoying the Mediterranean from your balcony while the other gets dressed and ready.

If that doesn't work, maybe a land vacation.

Just know that in most ship's bathrooms (non-suite), all of your "primping" (makeup/hair, etc...) will need to be done in the cabin, at the vanity.  Ship bathrooms have little space for that sort of thing.  The only plug in the bath is low wattage for electric razors...not suitable for curling irons or hair dryers, etc...

Whatever sq. footage is listed for the cabin INCLUDES that bathroom space!

1 minute ago, chilly227 said:

Thank you so much all for you who replied with helpful information. I am now seriously looking at two singles. 

Just to be sure you are aware, single staterooms are charged at the double occupancy rate, which will be up to 200% of the quoted individual fare at double occupancy rates for the solo passenger, less one person's taxes and port fees.  There are cruise lines that will offer smaller solo intended staterooms at a rate less than that of double occupancy, but either way sailing as a solo is far more costly than sharing a stateroom at double occupancy rates.

45 minutes ago, chilly227 said:

Thank you so much all of you who replied with helpful information. I am now seriously looking at two singles. 

Most modern cruise ships  have a very limited number of singles, many of them none at all - so singles pay double-fare for sole occupancy of a double cabin, a very expensive business.

But strangely enough the afore-mentioned Norwegian Epic, much-maligned for it's immodest bathroom design, might be a good choice for singles.

It has a 128 en-suite studio cabins designed for singletons, plus their own shared communal area. Lots of single cabins on some of their other modern ships too.

Or check out older ships, such as those of  Cruise & Maritime, Fred Olsen and some of the Marella fleet. They have singles' cabins, but those cabins do sell-out quickly.

1 hour ago, chilly227 said:

Thank you so much all of you who replied with helpful information. I am now seriously looking at two singles. 

This will make your fares double per passenger.  My opinion is that you would best travel on a Princess Cruises  "Grand Class" ship which includes P&O (UK) Cruises Azura and Ventura.  I have sailed on many of this class as a single parent with a daughter who is getting well into teenage years.  The layout of Balcony cabins is ideal as they have a nice sized balcony and internally a good sized walk in wardrobe with shower/toilet room behind.  Basically you can emerge from shower room and get dressed behind a wall in a fairly spacious area. Take bathrobes each if you would like this extra precaution.  This preserves dignity and modesty with an incongruous pair like dad and an older daughter and has worked for us very well. Hopefully someone can post a picture of the layout.

Likely ships ex-UK scheduled from Southampton for the current period are Princess Cruises, Crown Princess, Sapphire Princess and P&O cruises Azura and Ventura.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Thanks 1

Re John's excellent suggestion for a shared cabin, here's the layouts on Azura - others that he's mentioned may be slightly different but on broadly the same theme.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Azura

Scroll down to the standard balcony, outside & inside cabins.

And here's a perhaps overly-detailed tour of a standard balcony cabin on Azura. (beware some of the detail may be out-of-date, such a bringing aboard as much alcohol as you like)

I remember broadly the same layout on the "old" Arcadia - very well-designed. 

Not as spacious a dressing area as it looks cos the blank wall is a hanging rail for clothes, but yes it's nicely screened-off. It's a layout that's not possible with the very small cabins on some ships, and perhaps with some cabin classes on P&O and Princess.

BTW, with most cabins the beds can be configured as a double (linked singles) or as two singles.

The steward will probably cotton-on from your names that you want two singles, but if you find that it's a double he can switch it in about ten minutes. Much the same as most hotel rooms.

• Thanks 1

It should be noted that the lady in the video acquired thirty five extra hangers and the hanging rail is somewhat overloaded  (1.10) probably by thirty five extra items of clothing.  I've never used this much of the rail but folded stuff onto shelves and cupboards bedside tables etc. If you each keep your hanging space use to "your end" the middle is full width floor to ceiling clear.  If you find standing and dressing tricky, pull a chair, or get cabin steward to reposition a chair into this space for sitting and putting your shoes on for example.  At (1.40) you can see the lady emerge from the area but not see into the said area whatsoever.  Can still take lightweight bathrobes if you wish. The basic layout of this cabin regarding the walk in wardrobe is the same throughout all the ships I listed.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

you can find some photos of a regular balcony cabin on Norwegian Getaway. While the bathroom was actually large enough to accommodate 2 people at the same time, there was no private space, so I changed in the bathroom.

PP was right about the private space for changing on Princess ships (Regal and Caribbean princesses included). When you exit a bathroom, you remain behind a wall, so you can change in private. I changed many times when my kid was in the room and he didn't even know it.

With the understanding that many cruise decisions involve some compromise we think that the Signature Suites of HAL might offer the best bang for the buck.  The cabins are larger then standard cabins on any ship and the bathrooms are quite nice (they vary depending on the class of the ship).  For example, on the Vista Class ships (i.e. Westerdam) you would have a double vanity a tub and a separate shower.  The Signature Suites are very popular among HAL regulars because they are reasonably priced compared to the larger suites found on many ships.

Hank

I thought the cabin layout on Ventura/Azura might suit, because of the dressing space.

Also, as John Bull mentioned older ships- we've been on Fred Olsen's Balmoral; both times we had a full, spacious bathroom with shower over the bath, and lots of storage space, including cupboards beneath the wash basin. 

You can check cabins on your chosen ship by Googling them deck by deck.

Fred O has several special offers for singles each year, as does Cruise and Maritime.

I think all the larger P&O ships have special single cabins,

The new Saga ship, due this summer, has a large proportion of single cabins.

On 5/23/2019 at 9:17 AM, chilly227 said:

Thanks leaveitallbehind, I’m still deliberating. Bathroom privacy is very important to us so it might just make or break the experience.🙁

Getting yourself each a cabin might be the best option if it will help you enjoy the cruise all the more.  Look for single passenger sales, or consider Crystal which has a lower supplement across the board (just 30% on window cabins) and offers excellent value for solo passengers.  If you go for a ship with a "solo cabin" intended for one, do your due diligence to make sure it's actually offering you the best price - in some cases, even paying double for a regular cabin (i.e. an extra 100%) would be cheaper than getting a solo cabin.