Booked British Isles

We took the plunge yesterday...there was a good Viking offer, we had a voucher from them...and we have really wanted to go to the British Isles.  We're on for 2020 which I love because I very much enjoy having time to learn about everything before we go.  That is unfortunate for those of you on CC Boards because I tend to ask a million questions from those who have gone before us!  

Anyone have advice about what we should not miss?  I was specifically looking at Belfast this morning.  We have from 8AM-6PM and it looks like an overwhelming number of wonderful things to see.  I have heard the Titanic museum is not to be missed, but also Giant's Causeway is amazing.  Possible to do both?  

Didn’t cruise into Dublin but drove around Ireland several years ago & would have to say the Giant’s Causeway was a highlight and not to be missed. I see Viking’s tour is 5.5 hours if that is what you’re thinking of doing. With 10 hours in Belfast it would be possible to consider the Titanic museum. If you were to leave first thing to the Giant’s Causeway it seems you would still have time for the museum when you got back.

Agree that both Giant's Causeway & Titanic Museum are must visits. Suggest researching private tours that head up the coast to Giant's Causeway, then return to the city with sufficient time to see the museum.

We haven't bothered with the Titanic Museum - we preferred to visit Cobh and we felt much 'nearer' to the old ship there.  When we left Cobh we were having dinner served on our balcony overlooking the quayside (it was also let go all lines time), and the local town band was playing 'Danny Boy' - it was very moving.

As far as the Giants Causeway was concerned, the actual path leading down to the shore is free of charge, it's only if you go into the visitor centre/shop/bathrooms that you have to pay.  The causeway path is open 24/7.  For the best experience, get there as early as possible in the day, as it can get crowded.  When we left there, we found out that there were 40+ coaches that day.

I keep looking at that cruise with the Iceland golden circle pre-cruise extension possibly for 2021 but the timing for the 2021 - so far - doesn't work for me. Would love to hear back from those who've done it tho. I did a tour at the Titanic museum in Cobh a few years ago - not as part of a cruise - but as part of ecumenical choir tour. Well worth it! And yes - the local beer in Cork is great!!

Edited by CharTrav

As I wrote earlier -- we are seriously looking at this cruise (Bergen to London) with the Iceland pre- and Edinburgh post- cruise extensions.  But I have no idea right now WHEN we can do it.  Am losing hope that 2021 will be even a possibility.  Even tho Viking offers 6 sailings on this itinerary in 2020 covering May to Aug, there are only two in 2021!!!:classic_sad: and the dates are simply wrong for me.  They conflict with an obligation I expect (amd fully intend) to continue to have in September that impacts my August as well.  I'd been hoping as I've been watching the cruise schedules for 2021 fill out that more sailings for the British Isles Explorer would be added .. but no .. that hasn't happened.  So far it's still the Sun. Any other ship that might do this cruise in 2021 is now scheduled through August or September.  Sigh.  What I want is to a sailing in July.  If Viking is listening -- and after Venus is added to the fleet -- it would be great to have more than just 2 sailings of British Isles Explorer in 2022 & beyond.  Please??

Anyway -- with this somewhat despondent (whining??) preamble -- the reason I'm posting is that despite the situation described above -- I went ahead and prepared a report that consolidates the descriptions of all the excursions offered for British Isles Explorer plus info on the pre- and post-cruise extensions we're thinking of doing (Iceland & Golden Circle and Edinburgh) that we (DH and I) can use whenever a sailing date opens up (someday!! soon??) that works for us.  I also posted it to my DropBox as a resource for those of you who are doing this cruise (have already booked) or are thinking of doing it.  You can access it using this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e378ojpkbpp2m54/British Isles Excursions with Extensions.pdf?dl=0.  No DropBox account is required.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 12:00 PM, CharTrav said:

What I want is to a sailing in July.  If Viking is listening -- and after Venus is added to the fleet -- it would be great to have more than just 2 sailings of British Isles Explorer in 2022 & beyond.  Please??

Anyway -- with this somewhat despondent (whining??) preamble -- the reason I'm posting is that despite the situation described above -- I went ahead and prepared a report that consolidates the descriptions of all the excursions offered for British Isles Explorer plus info on the pre- and post-cruise extensions we're thinking of doing (Iceland & Golden Circle and Edinburgh) that we (DH and I) can use whenever a sailing date opens up (someday!! soon??) that works for us.  I also posted it to my DropBox as a resource for those of you who are doing this cruise (have already booked) or are thinking of doing it.  You can access it using this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e378ojpkbpp2m54/British Isles Excursions with Extensions.pdf?dl=0.  No DropBox account is required.

I'll join you in whining CharTrav.  I am interested in a British Isles cruise with the new Churchill extension from London but I really don't want to fly to Bergen again (doing that next month with Viking).  Wish they had an option to fly to Edinburgh and join the cruise in the Highlands.  Thank you for sharing your research.

3 hours ago, Scootoir said:

I'll join you in whining CharTrav.  I am interested in a British Isles cruise with the new Churchill extension from London but I really don't want to fly to Bergen again (doing that next month with Viking).  Wish they had an option to fly to Edinburgh and join the cruise in the Highlands.  Thank you for sharing your research.

They sorta do have the start in Edinburgh approach but you'd be doing the Edinburgh pre-extension instead (the way I was thinking) and cruising London to Bergen. Which would mean flying out of Bergen. And losing the Churchill extension. What they need are more sailings. Maybe 2022? 2021 is a bust for sure. 

Edited by CharTrav

12 hours ago, CharTrav said:

They sorta do have the start in Edinburgh approach but you'd be doing the Edinburgh pre-extension instead (the way I was thinking) and cruising London to Bergen. Which would mean flying out of Bergen. And losing the Churchill extension. What they need are more sailings. Maybe 2022? 2021 is a bust for sure. 

I don't think I could work in the Churchill extension with that.  Wish I could skip Bergen and the islands and start in Scotland.  Better yet Viking could combine Churchill's Britain with the Oxford & Highclere Castle extensions for a really nice land tour.  😉

1 hour ago, Scootoir said:

I don't think I could work in the Churchill extension with that.  Wish I could skip Bergen and the islands and start in Scotland.  Better yet Viking could combine Churchill's Britain with the Oxford & Highclere Castle extensions for a really nice land tour.  😉

I guess that's the reason Viking eagerly seeks passenger feedback. Whether they can resolve all the issues raised or desires expressed in the feedback they seek is of course problematic. Dependent on factors over which they have no control. 

Edited by CharTrav