Guaranteed cabin and rci have downgraded us

1 hour ago, KrusinKajun said:

It happened to us yesterday...booked a Jr. Suite gty.. Well, yesterday, 2 days before sailing, they tell us they do not have anything available other than an obstructed OV cabin!!   We will also lose double cruise points, a balcony, a view, & SPACE!  We’ve never been in a cabin this tiny(118sf) & not sure my husband’s claustrophobia will allow it. $750 OBC is only offer, no refund for cabin downgrade difference.

I would think about what you would like and come back with your own offer. I would want double points, difference in cabin price, and some amount of obc, at a minimum. 

Edited by marci22

11 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Can’t believe this happened twice.  

It's happened more than twice on these boards. Maybe you can't find it in a search as their search stinks, but I would guess at once every 6 months or so this happens. Not frequent but gets a lot of outrage when it happens, as would be expected. 

I really think that Royal could make their mistake up to people so easily, and I am confounded when they don't seem to want to try. Royal gambled and lost so time for them to pay up.

Edited by marci22
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

They obviously fill the ships ... so there's your answer.

I think it's a combination of things. Maybe the $750 obc was a good offer but they presented it poorly. Double points cost them nothing and makes the customer happy (and was what the customer was expecting by booking the Jr Suite guaranty). The particular rep you get on the phone is a big factor, which is why I would always listen to the offer, think about it, and call back.

Full ships does not mean you have to be uncivilized when a customer has just had their vacation plans reset at the last minute. 

Edited by marci22
  • Like 3

On 5/22/2019 at 2:41 PM, zitsky said:

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope it gets worked out.  Are there a lot of good public spaces where you can spend time, in case you are in that interior cabin?

Doesn't $300 OBC sweeten the  pot?  Rebook drink packages etc and pay for them with the OBC or use some to treat yourselves to specialty dining, shopping or whatever you would like.   An interior cabin is fine.   People often don't spend much time in their cabin  anyway because there is so much to do on a ship.

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

The NRD or booking Gty rates look great until something like this happens. If I can’t afford the category without a special rate I just book the one I can afford at a higher price. I would rather be in an interior than booking a suite and being down graded to a obstructed view. My guess is they are filling these guarantee rooms with Royal up bidders. Can’t believe this happened twice.  

When we booked, all that was available in JR. & Grand suites were  GTY only...it’s a small ship, (Majesty) and the only cabins with balconies are suites, but the RCCL person assured me one would be available or we’d get an upgrade, so we booked.  But we will never do it again.  A guarantee isn’t a guarantee unless you can guarantee it!😡

• Like 2

I am sure you paid a higher fare for the JS guarantee than the price of an obstructed ocean view. To keep your money tied up in OBC  and not offer a cash refund is so wrong. Your expectation of double points seems reasonable to me also.  I hope you have a travel agent that can help you with this unfair situation

Edited by coaster
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, coaster said:

Your expectation of double points seems reasonable to me also. 

They should get double points since they booked a Jr. suite.  Points are supposed to be based on the booking category not the category you ultimately end up in.

Royal UP bids to suites do not earn double points.

Free (or discounted) upgrades to suites do not earn double points.

Therefore, involuntary downgrades should not revert to single points.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

They should get double points since they booked a Jr. suite.  Points are supposed to be based on the booking category not the category you ultimately end up in.

Exactly.

If you had booked a GTY balcony but were assigned a Jr Suite, would they give you the double points??? No.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, icsys said:

If you had booked a GTY balcony but were assigned a Jr Suite, would they give you the double points??? No.

I think some have reported that they do get the double points in that case - it's when you already have a balcony and get a free upgrade to a JS (or you Royal Up) that you don't.

I received a voice mail this morning about my JS GTY on the Oasis this Sunday.. they are JS oversold and wanted to know if some OBC and a ocean view would be ok.. hahaha and they were take royal up bids for grand suite and above when I last checked 2 days ago.  I’ve called back and left a VM to see what they are really willing to do. But this is going to be a hard sell...

6 minutes ago, chaswelf said:

I received a voice mail this morning about my JS GTY on the Oasis this Sunday.. they are JS oversold and wanted to know if some OBC and a ocean view would be ok.. hahaha and they were take royal up bids for grand suite and above when I last checked 2 days ago.  I’ve called back and left a VM to see what they are really willing to do. But this is going to be a hard sell...

Nope, haven’t lost their minds, just exceedingly greedy.

Edited by pstone1
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, chaswelf said:

Tell them you'll take the OV fora full refund.  You might not hear back they have gone on to the next person

Edited by molly361

1 hour ago, chaswelf said:

If I booked a JS GTY and Royal wanted to downgrade me not 1 but 2 levels to an ocean view room......then the OBC would need to be substantial......very substantial.

Substantial enough to buy a drink package and a specialty restaurant or two...with some left over for an excursion.

Shoot for the stars, I say.

1 hour ago, pstone1 said:

Nope, haven’t lost their minds, just exceedingly greedy.

Yes and no. They are for Profit and do copy other lines. Tips go up on Carnival, Royal go up. Yrs ago NCL starts pay Rest, Royal follows suit. From few Decades ago Royal Cruise has got cheaper dollar for dollar, not even    Inflation into it. Extra's are where make their money, same as most Travel like Air. At least have a choice. Almost never buy shore excursions, don't drink, don't gamble, and carry on 12 pack Soda. Cheap vacation for me, SOLO over 340 points, retired and can Cruise on cheap/off season  weeks. 25-30 yrs ago week at Disney World with a Hotel and Food purchase was cheaper then 7nite Cruise. Now, other way around. More to do on ships now, but do miss Skeet shooting and hitting Golf Balls off back of the Sovereign/Majesty that was possible 30yrs ago

3 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yes and no. They are for Profit and do copy other lines. Tips go up on Carnival, Royal go up. Yrs ago NCL starts pay Rest, Royal follows suit. From few Decades ago Royal Cruise has got cheaper dollar for dollar, not even    Inflation into it. Extra's are where make their money, same as most Travel like Air. At least have a choice. Almost never buy shore excursions, don't drink, don't gamble, and carry on 12 pack Soda. Cheap vacation for me, SOLO over 340 points, retired and can Cruise on cheap/off season  weeks. 25-30 yrs ago week at Disney World with a Hotel and Food purchase was cheaper then 7nite Cruise. Now, other way around. More to do on ships now, but do miss Skeet shooting and hitting Golf Balls off back of the Sovereign/Majesty that was possible 30yrs ago

We’ve been cruising with RCL for a long time too. Everyone is not exactly like you - lots of folks (including us) spend plenty of money with RCL. There are lots of successful, profitable businesses today that do not blatantly exhibit greed the way RCL does.  

5 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

We’ve been cruising with RCL for a long time too. Everyone is not exactly like you - lots of folks (including us) spend plenty of money with RCL. There are lots of successful, profitable businesses today that do not blatantly exhibit greed the way RCL does.  

Yeah doubtful. I read this same thing on every travel board I am part of. 

Read some of the Disney boards. It’s non stop whining about how greedy Disney is. 🙄

The solution is simple. Find a different way to vacation. Don’t like the way a company is run? Don’t give them your business. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BeachChik said:

Yeah doubtful. I read this same thing on every travel board I am part of. 

Read some of the Disney boards. It’s non stop whining about how greedy Disney is. 🙄

The solution is simple. Find a different way to vacation. Don’t like the way a company is run? Don’t give them your business. 

I don’t think you read my posts.  No where did I say I didn’t like it.  Simply responding to the poster who got gypped out their JS GTY.  But hey, thanks for your valuable input.  😀

This post has some fundamental issues with the pointing of blame.  When a TA makes a booking,  it is the TA (By contractual obligation) owns the booking.  

The TA, not the end passenger would have ZERO direct contact with the cruise line.  Your TA has to have been notified and agreed to this change on the OP’s behalf. 

your issue is NOT with RCCL, it is 100% the TA who is to blame.  

On 1/17/2020 at 9:49 AM, squadron said:

Doesn't $300 OBC sweeten the  pot?  Rebook drink packages etc and pay for them with the OBC or use some to treat yourselves to specialty dining, shopping or whatever you would like.   An interior cabin is fine.   People often don't spend much time in their cabin  anyway because there is so much to do on a ship.

I think that is very individual. I would never, ever, ever sail in an interior room.  If that means sailing less often due to expense, so be it. My dream vacation is to spend time on our balcony, relaxing, reading and watching the ocean.  We do a few things on the ship but do also spend quite a bit in our cabin on the balcony.

If we were moved to a ocean view or interior, we would have to rebook because that would defeat the whole idea of our vision of a vacation.

Thanks for all the information everyone. After reading this thread initially, I went ahead and converted our suite gty to a jr suite while the pickings were still good.

Edited by cured
  • Like 3