Countdown Clocks

25 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

@StickMan

what browser are you using and what are you working on - Phone Tablet Laptop etc and what OS   Mac Windows Android etc.

I have multiple platforms I access Cruise Critic from:

ios 12.3.1 with Safari on my iPhone and iPad

Chrome with Windows 10

IE 11 with Windows 10

Edge with Windows 10

None show the signature file - just a set of text similar to a link to them (do you want a screen shot?)

I can only see code where your Signature files should be displayed in your posts 

Edited by Stickman1990

I am not familiar with win10 nor apple products - I have tried with IE on Win7 and it appears to work.

So,  here is the code for your clock

https://clocks.cruisecritic.com/countdown.pl?image=Beach-2&name=Stickman1990&date=5-8-2019&text=Hong Kong to Tokyo - 17 days&ship=Crystal Symphony

Copy that and post it into a new tab in the browser on IE on win10 and see if you get the certificate message.

Click where it says something like  "open this (not recommended)   and you will (hopefully see your clock)

Then go back into this thread and refresh the page and see if your and others clocks appear.

I dont know if the "fix" will last if you close the browser - I suspect not.  I have so many pages open at once

I usually use "Sleep"  and the fix still works when I resume. 

@FLACRUISER99   Think you had it working in edge - perhaps you can give stickman a few clues?

Ok - I can see the issue is caused by the Cruise Critic Security Certificate having expired several weeks ago

I guess I could just ignore it in settings but I don’t want to ignore a security warning even though I might trust the site 

I’ll leave it for Cruise Critic to get around renewing the certificate (perhaps they need us to pass the hat around?) - I assume they know they have an expired certificate 

1B5CE5AD-B336-42CF-AF80-E8AA9382B94A.jpeg

037A711E-E3B2-4C5E-9FFB-91F13799A9E1.jpeg

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

(perhaps they need us to pass the hat around?)

I think it is $5  or so for a 2 year certificate.  Cant buy a hat to pass round for that. LOL

I am thinking of  emailing the website hostmaster to see if they can do anything.

The contact on "Whois" seems to be someone at tripadvisor.

4 hours ago, Aulanis said:

I am not familiar with win10 nor apple products - I have tried with IE on Win7 and it appears to work.

So,  here is the code for your clock

https://clocks.cruisecritic.com/countdown.pl?image=Beach-2&name=Stickman1990&date=5-8-2019&text=Hong Kong to Tokyo - 17 days&ship=Crystal Symphony

Copy that and post it into a new tab in the browser on IE on win10 and see if you get the certificate message.

Click where it says something like  "open this (not recommended)   and you will (hopefully see your clock)

Then go back into this thread and refresh the page and see if your and others clocks appear.

I dont know if the "fix" will last if you close the browser - I suspect not.  I have so many pages open at once

I usually use "Sleep"  and the fix still works when I resume. 

@FLACRUISER99   Think you had it working in edge - perhaps you can give stickman a few clues?

After the win 10 update last night only clocks in Firefox were working without going thru all the steps again.

I gave up and went with a countdown clock from tickerfactory.com (Is it OK to mention here?)  Some of them are too tall and get cut off.  And I had to remove the reference to http://www.tickerfactory.com, as apparently I had too many links in my signature?

I am sure that there is a lot more technical info than what I am sharing as I have/understand the "cliff's notes" version.

The short of it is this is an issue that we will not be fixing. This doesn't have to do with the new forums software.  This occurred when we switched to new servers.  We knew that the clocks would need work after switching but originally thought we would rewrite the programming on the new servers.   

In a perfect world we would like to create brand new - updated - and functioning vacation countdowns.  I know we have a lot of work to do on our back log of tweeks and fixes to make this current system work so I do not know if/when that will be on our docket.

I have been looking for countdown clocks to suggest in the meanwhile - tickerfactory is one that you can use.  If you have any other suggestions please share.  Once I compile a few choices I can make a helper document on where to find these tickers and how to use them.  One caveat - the tickers can't be from a site  that is making money or that is a competitor of sorts.  That would go against our written guidelines.  If you know of any - suggest away and I can let you know if it will be allowed 🙂

Thanks for your understanding - WE ALL love countdown clocks and while this isn't news you wanted to hear I wanted to be upfront  and honest with you

• Thanks 1

Are cruise lines competitors to cruisecritic?  Because I saw an example of a ticker from a specific website. Can't think of which one.  I use tickerfactory. 

Edited by zitsky

18 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Are cruise lines competitors to cruisecritic?  Because I saw an example of a ticker from a specific website. Can't think of which one.  I use tickerfactory. 

Let me discuss with my manager

Cruise lines are not a competitor but not sure if that would be considered advertising.  I will find out

There are several countdown clocks available on the internet to customize -- some are for specific cruise lines, some can be customized for any purpose.  None are quite as nice I suppose, but they'll work.  I loved seeing my countdown clock.

Edited to add: you need a particular form of countdown clock, if I recall......one that isn't HTML - I think it's called a BBCode?   The last time I tried a non-CC countdown clock, that's what I found.

Edited again - I just tried an HTML code, and it didn't work.  Now to search for BBCode codes......

Edited by calliopecruiser

@CC Help Jenn

Are you saying that the problem is" they" just dont want to fix it for some reason-

The ONLY problem I see is that the security certificate is out of date/ expired.

As I said I have allowed clocks.cruisecritic to open the clocks as I am prepared to

take the risk that the site is otherwise secure. I am not aware that it holds any

of my information other than the detail fo the next cruise..

Apparently it would cost around US$5  to renew the certificate for 2 years.

Just think how many people you would make happy for $5

These are Jims clocks from a few posts up

image.png.0709f74e61b5b4514d8c5821186ceaf8.png

Edited by Aulanis
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Hello Everyone:

First, thanks to Jenn who has looked into this issue up to this point.

From time to time, we have to make difficult decisions about how we are going to have to spend out engineering time....we weigh all the pluses and minuses and at this time we find that we just cannot put the countdown clock fix on the proverbial "to do" list.

We apologize, but want you to know we are looking to see if there are other options or a "countdown" company we can partner with.  For the time being, feel free to use a countdown from a cruise line or one of the countdown clock type websites.

Laura

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Aulanis said:

Just think how many people you would make happy for $5

Apparently it doesn’t rate as a priority - despite it being a relatively easy fix 

I think the most recent “site upgrade” has gone way over budget and still has issues - causing a drop off in users (and maybe advertisers) - so the budget is tight even for a $5 investment 🙂

Still it’s their site and were only guests so we just have to accept it and move on

Edited by Stickman1990

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

Apparently it doesn’t rate as a priority - despite it being a relatively easy fix 

If the needed fix was simply shelling out US$5 I expect CC would happily spend the money. It seems obvious to me that the needed general case fix is likely much more costly to implement. 

1 minute ago, broberts said:

If the needed fix was simply shelling out US$5 I expect CC would happily spend the money. It seems obvious to me that the needed general case fix is likely much more costly to implement. 

Did you read Aulanis post and the fix that has been proven to work?

Obvious maybe but if that’s the case how can a user show it working by using the security certificate workaround?

1 minute ago, Stickman1990 said:

Did you read Aulanis post and the fix that has been proven to work?

Obvious maybe but if that’s the case how can a user show it working by using the security certificate workaround?

Yes I have followed this thread. The assumption that the general case fix is a new security certificate is an assumption, not fact. I also think that the estimated cost of $5 for an appropriate security certificate is dubious. 

We simply do not have enough facts to make the assumption that the fix is easy or inexpensive.

I wanted to add countdown clocks 3 more cruises and couldn't find out how to do it.   I'm not thrilled with the new website design.  I used to be able to have about 100 posts on a page before click to the next page.  That's also disappeared.

On 6/22/2019 at 11:03 AM, Sparky2 said:

I wanted to add countdown clocks 3 more cruises and couldn't find out how to do it.   I'm not thrilled with the new website design.  I used to be able to have about 100 posts on a page before click to the next page.  That's also disappeared.

You might try switching 'off' signatures -- that does tend to make each post more compact. When I gave up on Count-down clocks, I decided that there wasn't much else in anyone's signature that I wanted to see, anyway. I think I'm getting more posts per page, since I did that.