Food Glorious Food

Keith1010

My wife and I recently returned from our ninth World Cruise.  Our most recent World Cruise included two pre cruises, the world cruise and three post cruises on Crystal Serenity.  This was followed by a 10 day River Cruise on Crystal Mozart.

I wrote this and posted it on a live thread I was doing for the ocean vessels but thought I would post it here.

This is our approach.  As I mention like most things in life everyone has their own approach but over the years people ask us how we approach food on long voyages so I thought this might be of help to some who ask about it.  

I am happy to answer questions on this approach.  Again everyone does what works best for them and the one opinion that matters is your own.

Keith

Food Glorious Food.  From time-to-time including on this sailing we have been asked by some Cruise Critic posters about food consumption.  Specifically, how we minimize weight gain on a long ocean vessel cruise such as this one.  Specifically, how can you maintain or minimize the amount of weight gained with so much food available 7x24?  The answer is it is not easy.  LOL.

Before I begin, I have a simple view which is to figure out what works best for you.  We are all different so while what I will share with you works for us another approach might work better for someone else.  So no need for anyone to criticize this approach (wink/wink) but just to know this is one of many approaches that could be taken.  

Before we took our first long cruise, we thought a lot about this.  On cruises of 7, 12 or up to 18 days we used to return home five or so pounds higher than we began.  Before taking the 2007 World Cruise we thought to ourselves,  If we didn't make adjustments to how much we ate on a cruise of 100 days or more, we could easily gain 30 to 40 pounds on a long one.  

We had to strike the balance between not feeling we are depriving ourselves of food while not overeating.  This is not very easy to accomplish.

After thinking about this we came up with a plan for our first World Cruise in 2007.  Since that time, we have made some slight modifications along the way.

We begin the day with a simple breakfast such as cereal with a banana.  I used to go with oatmeal as I have at home but prefer oatmeal at home rather than when we travel on land and on the ship so we go with cereal instead. 

Lunch typically consists of a large (and we mean large) Salad Entrée with some protein (primarily Chicken or Salmon) and dressing on the side for Anne Marie and a light amount on the salad for me.  In addition to a plate of salad, I will fill a small bowl with steamed and grilled vegetables while Anne Marie will use one plate for salad. We take a variety and large volume of lettuce and add various raw vegetables. Anne Marie also adds some fruit and a few olives.  We put the protein on a couple of small plates.  

When we used to eat a late dinner, we would go to The Bistro for fruit or to the Afternoon Tea for tea and some desserts.  While the butlers bring canapés late afternoon or early evening, we avoid them.  Instead we have mixed fresh fruit at 3:00 PM of cantaloupe, honeydew, strawberries and blueberries and often add a cutup pear to the plates from the fruit basket in our room.  

Before we go further, we both enjoy salad, and fruit so we never look at this as depriving ourselves of anything.  Items can be changed up each day.

Most evenings for dinner we will have two to three courses.  On this World Cruise we had mostly had three courses.  We begin with one roll.  We could eat several but we stay with one.  We avoid butter.

First course is an appetizer assuming we find one which appeals to us.  Otherwise we skip that course.  This is followed by an appetizer salad with dressing on the side.  The entrees are often fish but too much fish is not good so we will have other items to balance out what we eat such as Chicken or on occasion Beef.   I often has a baked potato on the side and am happy to eat it with no condiments.  We realize this is starch but the potato has potassium.   From time-to-time Anne Marie will have half portions of an entrée such as when dining at the Prego Italian Specialty Restaurant.

We don't make dessert a regular ending to the meal.  Occasionally Anne Marie has a sweet dessert while I might have some cheese or a fruit plate. Many nights Anne Marie has a decaffeinated cappuccino.  If we are at a Specialty Restaurant Anne Marie might have a couple of the small cookies they bring out.  If we want something sweet we might share a dessert.

There are some restaurants where we eat more and we just balance our overall eating.  We never feel deprived.

I will enjoy a pre-dinner drink (wine or a cocktail) and wine at dinner.  Anne Marie enjoys wine but has cut back on how much she has due to medication she is on.

Next  and a very important key is exercise.  We step up the food compared to what we eat at home so we step up the exercise.

Typically:

I get in an early morning workout but time is irrelevant.  I like exercising early so that works for me.  If indoor cycling is offered, I take that later in the morning.  If not, I walk.  In the afternoon Paddle Tennis.  When not taking a formal tour in port we walk.  Anne Marie walks in the morning and the afternoon on the ship.  We don’t take the elevator and use the steps. In fact, I think we only took the elevator twice during our time on Serenity.  This year we both took some personal training.

The key is to enjoy yourself and eating is one of those pleasures. In our case we enjoy ourselves and find the key to this is moderation and finding a balance between eating and burning off those calories.

It is amazing how many miles one can walk on and off the ship and smart devices such as an iWatch which we both use let us know how many miles and steps we walk and get out from other forms of exercise.  

In my case I attained ten to twenty miles a day and about 20,000 to 40,000 steps per day. Yes, I  got step credit when on the elliptical machine but no equivalent stop credit for indoor cycling.

In the end each person has to find the approach that works for them. While our goal is to end the cruise at the same weight we began others take a different approach such as gaining some weight knowing they will take it off in the weeks or months following their return back home.

• Like 3

Wow Keith, nine? Holey moley! Thank you for taking the time to dispense this very useful advice.  I'd already decided that salad would be my friend at lunch,  and that I'd have to eschew most desserts,  watch the carbs and booze. I usually choose protein at breakfast, eggs mainly, cereal just doesn't cut it. Fortunately I love vegetables  so will steer myself towards them at dinner. Love fish too.

Unfortunately we're at the age where elevators are often a necessity, but I do intend to walk a lot. I hate gyms but might manage a recumbent bike.

Any trouble with salt?

I'm the type who gains weight just looking at a french fry so I need discipline for sure.

Thanks again.

Hi Wendy:

You have a great approach.

I have not had problems with salt although I am one of those people that they often encourage to add salt because of the exercise I do.  I don't ask for extra salt but the salt on the food doesn't get to me.

I know some people who have issues with the salt so they ask that their food be prepared with low sodium which seems to do the trick for them.

My wife says the same thing about looking at certain foods as well.  To me it's all about balance which is not always easy but it can be done.  The key is to have a plan.

Keith

On 5/28/2019 at 11:26 AM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Yes, but then the second key is to stick to it!  That's the hard part for me.

I've had good luck so far in 4.5 months on this "foodie" ship! I've actually lost a few pounds...here's what I've done:

Breakfast: 1-2 eggs, 2 slices of bacon or a bowl of mixed berries with a Skinny Latte.

Lunch: salad with lots of veggies and some feta or blue cheese and olive oil as my dressing with an unsweetened iced tea.

Dinner: often another salad or a filet mignon with vegetables. 

Have been walking 2-5 miles per day... either on a treadmill in the gym or on excursions. Do strength training 3 days/week.

Edited by Go-Bucks!
  • Like 1

I just started on a new trial of the online diet plan called Noom.  I'll see how it goes, it's free for 14 days.  There is daily logging of food and exercise with lots of motivational psychology every day.

I also got myself a Fitbit finally.  The newest one, and the simplest, the Aspire.  We'll see how all that goes.

Go-Bucks, I admire your steadfastness.  I couldn't maintain that regime of yours--there's not enough fibre for me, although the eggs are good.  And I only eat red meat once in a while.  I suspect I'll be eating lots of fish or chicken for dinner, but those gourmet meals are going to be very tempting.  I also love cheese, so have to work on that...

11 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I just started on a new trial of the online diet plan called Noom.  I'll see how it goes, it's free for 14 days.  There is daily logging of food and exercise with lots of motivational psychology every day.

I also got myself a Fitbit finally.  The newest one, and the simplest, the Aspire.  We'll see how all that goes.

Go-Bucks, I admire your steadfastness.  I couldn't maintain that regime of yours--there's not enough fibre for me, although the eggs are good.  And I only eat red meat once in a while.  I suspect I'll be eating lots of fish or chicken for dinner, but those gourmet meals are going to be very tempting.  I also love cheese, so have to work on that...

I eat fish too but not much chicken. I lost 85# in the 6 months before the cruise so I'm adamant that I won't gain any back. And I love to exercise. 

Yes, I have to stay very strict about my intake and exercise but my mantra is "no food tastes as good as being thin feels." I still have to lose 15 more pounds to get to my goal so I try to stay focused one day at a time.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

I eat fish too but not much chicken. I lost 85# in the 6 months before the cruise so I'm adamant that I won't gain any back. And I love to exercise. 

Yes, I have to stay very strict about my intake and exercise but my mantra is "no food tastes as good as being thin feels." I still have to lose 15 more pounds to get to my goal so I try to stay focused one day at a time.

Oh lovely!  I myself have lost the same 30 pounds at least three times in my life.  When I had my heart surgery almost five years ago now, I had lost some, and then lost more just due to the surgery, and then when I got healthy I gradually gained it all back.  So now I'm at it again, because I don't want to carry that weight around any more.   So good for you!

On 5/30/2019 at 4:29 PM, Go-Bucks! said:

Well the best of luck on your journey (both kinds).  I know that those last few pounds can be really difficult.

I'm on day 5 of my first week, and have lost 5 pounds already, so I'm pumped, but the weekend brings temptations, so we'll see.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Champions League final today, which means pub food and few pints. My WC diet starts tomorrow. 🙂

Funny.  I decided to start mine early.  But tomorrow I'm faced with beer, so we'll see.  250 calories per pint for Keith's!

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Funny.  I decided to start mine early.  But tomorrow I'm faced with beer, so we'll see.  250 calories per pint for Keith's!

HaHa!! Being a West Coast beer snob, I only drink local craft beers. Enjoyed a Victoria brewery (Driftwood) IPA followed by a quite a few pints of a Vancouver brewery (Parallel 49) Scotch Ale.

No idea how many calories per pint, but with each pint at least 7.5%, I only hope the calories don't increase with alcohol content. 🍺🍺

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

HaHa!! Being a West Coast beer snob, I only drink local craft beers. Enjoyed a Victoria brewery (Driftwood) IPA followed by a quite a few pints of a Vancouver brewery (Parallel 49) Scotch Ale.

No idea how many calories per pint, but with each pint at least 7.5%, I only hope the calories don't increase with alcohol content. 🍺🍺

Well I'm an East Coast *and* Southern US beer snob.  When in Florida, I drink only craft beer.  In Toronto I choose my bars by the music acts they have, so sometimes Keith's is a compromise.  

8 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Well yes, higher alcoholic content definitely means more calories.  Poor us! Although I tend to go for lower % choices.  A Kolsch perhaps, or in winter a Stout.  Of course the latter may be less alcoholic, but is definitely more caloric.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

On 6/1/2019 at 11:26 PM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Well yes, higher alcoholic content definitely means more calories.  Poor us! Although I tend to go for lower % choices.  A Kolsch perhaps, or in winter a Stout.  Of course the latter may be less alcoholic, but is definitely more caloric.

My favorite is a Skinny Latte at 100 kcal...I don't drink alcohol but dearly love espresso!   

For those who want to maintain your weight on a World Cruise or not gain too much I highly recommend having a plan as to how you accomplish this.  I tried to share what we do.

I have know too many people who don't have a plan, lose weight before the cruise only to gain it all back and more.

Again, my advice having done 9 World Cruises is to have a plan.

If I have made you think about this through my first post that is a start.

Keith

• Like 1

I'll definitely have a plan in place when I sail, 19 months from now.  It may be similar to my current plan, with some easement--right now I'm in losing mode, hopefully by the time I cruise I'll be in maintenance mode (fingers crossed).  Currently I'm logging everything I eat, weighing myself every day, and logging my steps and exercise with a fitbit.  Ask me in a month how I'm doing, it's only been 9 days.  On a cruise, I doubt if I'll be weighing myself every day, perhaps just twice a week.

On 6/5/2019 at 12:49 PM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I'll definitely have a plan in place when I sail, 19 months from now.  It may be similar to my current plan, with some easement--right now I'm in losing mode, hopefully by the time I cruise I'll be in maintenance mode (fingers crossed).  Currently I'm logging everything I eat, weighing myself every day, and logging my steps and exercise with a fitbit.  Ask me in a month how I'm doing, it's only been 9 days.  On a cruise, I doubt if I'll be weighing myself every day, perhaps just twice a week.

I brought my scale from home with me because I weigh myself every morning. It keeps me accountable. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

I brought my scale from home with me because I weigh myself every morning. It keeps me accountable. 

Wow!  I was thinking about that.  I suspect that might work better than trotting down first thing to the gym.  Not sure if I'll go that far, but will think about it, since right now I am indeed weighing myself every day.

Check with your cruise line to see if they have a scale for your room.

In terms of weighing yourself I am sure you know this but best to do this in port and not at sea.

Me, I weigh myself twice a day at home but rarely on a world cruise.  I have a very good sense of what I am consuming and what I need to do to maintain the weight.  

Keith