Cruising out of New York

So I have cruised into New York but never OUT of New York (quite excited) I have a few questions if anyone can answer some of these I would be very grateful 

1) what is it like to go through the cruise terminal in New York? Anything I need to be aware of?

2) I now know the cheers! Package cannot be used on the first day - however could you purchase an alcoholic drink with bar credit? 

Thabk you for taking thw time reading this

Just a tip for Lady Liberty:  the best photos that show her face and torch are taken after the cruise ship passes the statue.  So many snap their pics before they can see her full face!

Cruising down the Hudson with the NYC skyline is awesome!

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 1

Both of my experiences with embarkation in NYC have been favorable, both went very fast. You shouldn't have a problem. I think certain times, like between 12:30-1:30, it can get a little packed, but just try and get there a little early and you'll be good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mredandchis said:

They have a board for that lol.  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/317-east-coast-departures/  look for port Liberty.  I am sailing outta there in June and they answer a lot of questions.   How to get to the port and expenses and traffic and all.  And if you cant find the answers they will have solutions.

Or look for Port of Manhatten. Port Liberty is in New jersey.

Carnival sails  out of Manhattan not Bayonne.  The terminal in Manhattan is a breeze...........never had a problem there.  Sail away from NYC is one of the best departure experiences....I still get excited no matter how many times I've sailed out of there. You will love it!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mskaufman said:

Also, remember to be back on deck (even if its early)

for sailing up the Hudson on your return. 

It was fairly empty and a gorgeous sunrise over NYC

I did that one too. Before dawn almost.

It was ruddy freeezing

My wife had more sense than me - she stayed warm in the cabin!

DSC_9846.JPG

DSC_9863.JPG

DSC_9880.JPG

If you are parking a Van or SUV, 40 per day right at the pier is NOT expensive. This is manhattan.  Even discounted parking several blocks away might cost you same or more with the SUV/MiniVan surcharge.

Nice snaps, @Aplmac.

BTw, to clarify the comment about "You can't cross over successfully onto that West Side Hiway" is applicable only for those driving to the pier.  Cab/Uber/Lyft can easily drop you at 50th street to avoid delays on the ramp.

Edited by hal2008