Carnival food feedback requested

Anyone have tips, pointers, recommendations, must haves/must not haves?

Been a few years since I've been on Carnival and I'm returning to sail next quarter.  Here's what I remember:

*Loved the Guy Fieri burgers. I'm a foodie, at times, but very few things beat a fresh burger in my book.

*I was very lukewarm on the buffet spread

*we often hit up the Panini/deli and pizza place at rear of ship

*LOVED the captain's cucina when had lunch one day

*neutral on MDR, food was certainly more than fine. oddly I don't always like waiting to be served food on a cruise ship - i wanna go do stuff! (i know, i know...more of a me issue. ha!)

We're on the Magic and we will definitely do Guy's Pig joint, probably more than once.  I've heard good things about the Mongolian grill other than longer wait times than folks would like.  I will be sure to hit the Cantina for tacos at least once, we've never done that.  

THANKS!!!

If you go to Blue Iguana, go to the burrito side and ask for a bowl.  Its a taco salad in a a crunchy edible bowl, but they don't keep the fried tortillas on the taco side.  One of those with double shrimp in it is awesome.  And the bowl is big enough that you can really load it up with toppings.  I'd also recommend Blue Iguana for breakfast.  It's faster than the buffet and they have areaps and huevos rancheros.  

You've been on Carnival before, so I'm sure you have an opinion on chocolate melting cake.  But if you like it, ask for it with different sides- some people like peanut butter (tastes like a Recees cup), some like butter pecan or strawberry ice cream.  On my last cruise, I met someone who mixed in a shot of Baileys.  

Edited by purplephenom
  • Thanks 2

* Blue Iguana - Burrito Bowl was awesome, our first stop after boarding

* Guys Burgers - what can you say....

* Guys Pig - surprisingly we liked it a lot

* We thought the MDR for dinner was excellent, tried many different plates, sometimes two:)

* Of course the chocolate melting cake for me, the DW was a little disappointed in deserts to her liking

****** 24 hour ice cream ****** Pizza *******

Would have liked to try the Deli but the lines was long every time went to check.  Thought the buffet was meh, breakfast okay but that was it for us. 

Horizon - March '19

55 minutes ago, activeac said:

I had the fallafle sandwich in the deli and the balls we're tiny and there were two....it was a lettuce sandwich

Everything else was wonderful - just beware of the fallafle!

As a Middle Easterner, I couldn't agree more. I threw it out.

• Like 1

Do go to brunch in the MDR on sea days. It is the only time you will see those unique menu items. The flatiron steak is our goto if nothing at dinner seems appealing. The carved meats are usually good. And try some of those weird salads on the buffet. We ignored that some seemed so unlikely to taste edible and just tried a single taste. We found two that were so good we took pictures so we could make them at home. I eat the meatballs from the meatball sub at the deli.

We were on Magic this past March. I think you've hit it on the head with your bullet points.... One thing to mention is Sea Day Brunch...possibly my favorite meal of the week. We are not picky eaters so we always find something we like. Happy sailing, we really liked Magic!

• Like 2

Once per cruise we have dinner at the Carnival Steakhouse...although the old menu is better than the new menu. The up charge is worth the meal. If you decide to go to the Steakhouse pick a night when the MDR menu looks less appetizing. You can see all the MDR dinner menus via the Carnival App. 

On 5/23/2019 at 11:27 PM, Tampa Bay Irish said:

Once per cruise we have dinner at the Carnival Steakhouse...although the old menu is better than the new menu. The up charge is worth the meal. If you decide to go to the Steakhouse pick a night when the MDR menu looks less appetizing. You can see all the MDR dinner menus via the Carnival App. 

Totally agree. The steak dinner at only $35 including the gratuities is awesome. Basically they give you so much you better be starving,. My wife loves the  Mongolian Walk. Her favorite for lunch. Yup. Always a long line.

In the breakfast burritos make sure to get the crunchy potatoes with your eggs and whatever else you get. Gives it such good texture. Fish tacos are awesome. If you haven’t tried the Quattro formagi pizza its soooo good.

Also the new cakes in the Lido at lunch are  really good. 

For MDR food, the Indian vegetarian was the best. And it’s different every night. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 30scruiser said:

In the breakfast burritos make sure to get the crunchy potatoes with your eggs and whatever else you get. Gives it such good texture. Fish tacos are awesome. If you haven’t tried the Quattro formagi pizza its soooo good.

Also the new cakes in the Lido at lunch are  really good. 

For MDR food, the Indian vegetarian was the best. And it’s different every night. 

I thought the cakes were tasteless on the Horizon and Breeze.

All of the pay restaurants, guys pig and anchor, and blue iguana are great. I don't eat many burgers but guys burgers are good. Everything else is hit or miss. I wasn't a fan of most of the desserts this past week on the breeze

On 5/23/2019 at 6:36 PM, Davey Wavey said:

Do go to brunch in the MDR on sea days. It is the only time you will see those unique menu items. The flatiron steak is our goto if nothing at dinner seems appealing. The carved meats are usually good. And try some of those weird salads on the buffet. We ignored that some seemed so unlikely to taste edible and just tried a single taste. We found two that were so good we took pictures so we could make them at home. I eat the meatballs from the meatball sub at the deli.

Love the Flaming Tomato Soup at the brunch.

FYI Steakhouse upcharge is $38 now...

• Like 1

On 5/23/2019 at 9:00 PM, Luckysll said:

Avoid, at all costs, the diet pumpkin pie.  I know there are some diet desserts that people like, but the diet pumpkin pie is like eating slightly pumpkin flavoured paste. Nasty!

Well, there are two different versions. One is pumpkin flavored jello, the other is closer to the consistency of pumpkin pie. Both are equally bad.