Which cruiselines other than Princess offer a World Cruise May - November?

islandwoman

Only Princess and Regent came up on VTG search engine, but further investigation showed that Regent's "world cruise" only does the North Atlantic: New York to Europe and back.  Are there any others?

World Cruises at that time would normally originate from the Southern Hemisphere. The only one we know of is the Princess WC departing Sydney, which we completed in 2015. With out a doubt, it was one of the worst cruise we have taken in 40 years. Started with P&O/Princess in 1975 and that was our last cruise with them.

Not exactly the same dates, but Viking Ocean has a 245-day WC departing London at the end of August, You can also do the 1st half from London to L/A - Aug to Jan.

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

World Cruises at that time would normally originate from the Southern Hemisphere. The only one we know of is the Princess WC departing Sydney, which we completed in 2015. With out a doubt, it was one of the worst cruise we have taken in 40 years. Started with P&O/Princess in 1975 and that was our last cruise with them. 

Can you tell me what it was abut the Princess World Cruise you took that made it "one of the worst cruises"  you've taken?   I am very interested to learn about that cruise because it seems to be the only one that fits our schedule. We don't want to be away January - March.

On 5/24/2019 at 5:39 AM, islandwoman said:

Can you tell me what it was abut the Princess World Cruise you took that made it "one of the worst cruises"  you've taken?   I am very interested to learn about that cruise because it seems to be the only one that fits our schedule. We don't want to be away January - March.

The ship (Sun Princess) was seriously run down - poorly maintained, lots of rust, leaking pipes. The meals in all venues was very poor quality and served cold. They contracted out the singers/dancers to a 3rd party and they were terrible. Didn't get the impression it was a WC, just a series of B2B segments that went around the world.

On 5/25/2019 at 8:55 PM, Heidi13 said:

The ship (Sun Princess) was seriously run down - poorly maintained, lots of rust, leaking pipes. 

It was seriously run down when I sailed on it in 2007!

Don't they use the Pacific Princess and the Sea Princess now?  I read that since they're getting rid of the Pacific Princess after the 2020 world cruise, the 2021 world cruise will be sailed on the Island Princess. 

Apologies, typo. Affirmative, it was the Sea Princess. Yes, Pacific Princess (old R-Class) does the WC departing L/A in January and Sea Princess departs Australia in May.

Heard rumours they are trying to sell Pacific. It has nothing listed Dec 2020 to March 2021, but then has cruises listed for Apr/May 2021. Haven't read any confirmation that she is actually getting a new owner. Lots of Princess pax, she is their favourite ship.

On 5/30/2019 at 5:11 PM, Heidi13 said:

Lots of Princess pax, she is their favourite ship.

I'm on an R ship now (Oceania Insignia) and I love it.  It was totally refurbished in December and is beautiful.  Plus, I can walk to anywhere on this ship in about 1 minute...so convenient.  The only thing I don't like is the lounge...it's built with a flat floor so very hard to see a show or movie, especially for a short person like me.  I haven't figured out why they didn't make a sloping floor when they did the refurb.  Otherwise, it's great to get into smaller ports and be able to dock right in the heart of some towns rather than an hour away.  It's easy to get to know people when there are only 684 passengers and about 400 crew.

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2019 at 10:39 PM, islandwoman said:

islandwoman,

There are some that feel this way about Sea Princess, but there are many more down under (and from the USA & elsewhere) who absolutely adore this little ship. You need to pop onto the Australian & New Zealand forum and check out just what we, who call her ours, really feel 💕.

By the way - they (Princess) are sending Pacific Princess “downunder” from late 2021.

Rose 🌹

12 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Does P.&O. Australia do world cruises?

Wendy - don't recall them offering World Cruises.

Although some of the other Carnival brand rejects are getting younger before heading to P&O, most of the tonnage is of somewhat advanced age, so I wouldn't fancy spending 4 months on any of their ships. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Wendy - don't recall them offering World Cruises.

Although some of the other Carnival brand rejects are getting younger before heading to P&O, most of the tonnage is of somewhat advanced age, so I wouldn't fancy spending 4 months on any of their ships. 

My husband's godson works on these ships as a musician.  I agree much of what he reports don't jibe with our experiences on a luxury ship, but they sound like they are fun, and seem to spend money on entertainers at least.  But most of the cruises he's on are 7 days or less I think.

4 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

My husband's godson works on these ships as a musician.  I agree much of what he reports don't jibe with our experiences on a luxury ship, but they sound like they are fun, and seem to spend money on entertainers at least.  But most of the cruises he's on are 7 days or less I think.

Not sure about current cruises, but when we did 14-day R/T from Sydney back in the late '70's they were the equivalent of a current 2 or 3-day Carnival cruise. So for younger passengers, they could definitely be described as "fun"