Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

Hi are coming to new York Oct 31 and cruise leaves Nov 3

Norwegian

Would like to see sights of new york and take in a Broadway show

What hotel and what airline

And any transportation recommendations

2 people 2 queen or double beds

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, maggiemouse said:

Hi are coming to new York Oct 31 and cruise leaves Nov 3

Norwegian

Would like to see sights of new york and take in a Broadway show

What hotel and what airline

And any transportation recommendations

2 people 2 queen or double beds

 

What is your hotel budget?  Do you have any specific sightseeing objectives?

 

Where are you coming from?  Airports would probably be La Guardia first, then Newark, and then JFK, but they all a doable, but you have to consider your transportation costs to get to Manhattan before you buy your tickets.  Newark and JFK have train options, but you have to be able to manage your luggage. The taxi fare from JFK to Manhattan is a fixed price.  Car service from JFK or Newark is another option. From La Guardia you need a car service or Uber/Lyft.

 

To get around in Manhattan, expect to do a lot of walking and use the subway to go between midtown and downtown.  If you can identify your sightseeing objectives, folks on this forum can give you tips and help you organize a plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 138east said:

What is your hotel budget?  Do you have any specific sightseeing objectives?

 

Where are you coming from?  Airports would probably be La Guardia first, then Newark, and then JFK, but they all a doable, but you have to consider your transportation costs to get to Manhattan before you buy your tickets.  Newark and JFK have train options, but you have to be able to manage your luggage. The taxi fare from JFK to Manhattan is a fixed price.  Car service from JFK or Newark is another option. From La Guardia you need a car service or Uber/Lyft.

 

To get around in Manhattan, expect to do a lot of walking and use the subway to go between midtown and downtown.  If you can identify your sightseeing objectives, folks on this forum can give you tips and help you organize a plan.

Would like under 400 and ideal around 300 or less 

Thinking of maybe doing big bus tour and take in a show

We are able to handle luggage 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2019 at 5:07 AM, 138east said:

Airports would probably be La Guardia first

I'd reconsider that statement, that airport is under MAJOR renovation and other posts on this board have advised of some of the challenges related to that.  Two that I can recall are shuttle buses to catch shuttle buses and 2 hours from landing to driving off in a rental car. 

 

JFK, on the other hand, has the Air Train that runs from Jamaica Station (where there is a stop on the A line subway) to the terminals.  For LGA you need to take a bus, there are no trains going to that airport.

 

11 hours ago, maggiemouse said:

big bus tour

Like a hop on/hop off?  If you have an idea of what you want to see, it's REAL easy to get around by walking and using the subway.  Plus - that experience is worth it, and people are generally very helpful in suggesting how to get where you want to go if you look like you're trying to figure it out.  If this is a "once in a lifetime" type of trip, I highly suggest setting aside 1/2 day or more for the 9/11 museum and memorial but you should buy tickets ahead and be aware of how that works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a FYI, expect a lot of kids on the ship that week, NJEA teachers convention. Check out broadwaybox.com for tickets. Hop on/off buses work best on weekends or mid day, lots of traffic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hallux said:

I'd reconsider that statement, that airport is under MAJOR renovation and other posts on this board have advised of some of the challenges related to that.  Two that I can recall are shuttle buses to catch shuttle buses and 2 hours from landing to driving off in a rental car. 

 

JFK, on the other hand, has the Air Train that runs from Jamaica Station (where there is a stop on the A line subway) to the terminals.  For LGA you need to take a bus, there are no trains going to that airport.

 

Like a hop on/hop off?  If you have an idea of what you want to see, it's REAL easy to get around by walking and using the subway.  Plus - that experience is worth it, and people are generally very helpful in suggesting how to get where you want to go if you look like you're trying to figure it out.  If this is a "once in a lifetime" type of trip, I highly suggest setting aside 1/2 day or more for the 9/11 museum and memorial but you should buy tickets ahead and be aware of how that works.

Thank you

Subway sounds wonderful

And we do want to see 911 museum and memorial

Any suggestions hotel location 

I see most say manhattan

And looking at things that seems best area

Is one area easier to get on subway at a certain area of Manhattan

We looked at kimpton,Hilton midtown and double tree times square south

But are open to other recommendations

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We stayed at the Homewood Suites Midtown. My mom treated us, but I believe it was around $300 a night. We had a room with a sofa bed (although it was uncomfortable, so my sister and I shared one of the queen beds). The room was huge by any standards and especially for NYC! Our friends who just had two queens said their room was smaller and they did not have a bathtub, but it was still nice. A decent breakfast buffet is included. It was not far from two different subway lines and we got around easily. 

 

For the 9/11 museum, plan on at least 3 hours (I could have stayed longer, but everyone else was done; I did not get to watch the films they have). For me, it was very emotional and a lot to take in, so I did skim over some parts. Eataly in World Trade Center building 4 is a great spot for lunch. 

 

We knee what show we wanted to see, so we got our tickets through their box office; we did look around and did not see a cheaper price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cft8 said:

For the 9/11 museum, plan on at least 3 hours (I could have stayed longer, but everyone else was done; I did not get to watch the films they have)

That's a solid amount of time to allocate for the museum.  I spent about 2 hours there and wish I had more but I couldn't have gotten there earlier and had to start making my way back to my car then uptown (by subway) for dinner then a play.

 

2 hours ago, maggiemouse said:

Any suggestions hotel location

Sorry, I live 3 hours from the city, I've never actually stayed overnight.

 

2 hours ago, maggiemouse said:

Is one area easier to get on subway at a certain area of Manhattan

Times Square, if hotels are in your price range, has subway stops at both ends, one of which has access to the 7-line to Grand Central, but it's also only a few blocks from Grand Central (a MUST visit, a gorgeous facility) if you want to walk and Bryant Park and the NY Public Library (have you seen the original Ghostbusters, remember the lion statues?) are on the way there if you walk on 42nd.

 

One thing to keep in mind with the subway is that once you're "inside" you could ride all day for one fare.  Once you exit the turnstyles you have to pay another fare, but if you're transferring within the system there's no additional fare needed.  You could ride from Battery Park to the Bronx to GCT, out to Queens and back again for less than $3.00 each, but you wouldn't see much.  To see the main GCT terminal you would need to exit the subway system but it's worth it.  I usually buy a metro card with 2 fares on it as that's all I usually need for where I'm going when I'm there but you can pre-load whatever you need, each person should have their own card.

 

If you want a good burger, and a real good "diner vibe" the Brooklyn Diner at 43rd and Broadway is a good place to go.  I'm not saying you should pick it over some other places if you're only eating one meal in that area but it might be worth checking out.

 

As for broadway shows - what interests you?  I've seen Come From Away and thought it was good. It's the story of Gander, Newfoundland, on 9/11 when the town of 10,000 was inundated with 6500 stranded airline passengers from flights that were diverted from US airspace.  Again, not saying it's THE show to see, but it's an obscure one that you might not otherwise know about.  Funny - the theater is smaller than those on some cruise ships.

Edited by hallux

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've stayed at Doubletree Times Square;  This is right in the middle of all the action. When you walk outside you are where the New Years Eve Ball drops.  Plenty of theaters within walking distance; plenty of places to eat; both sit down and fast food. And plenty of pharmacies for last minute shopping

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2019 at 10:35 AM, maggiemouse said:

Thank you

Subway sounds wonderful

And we do want to see 911 museum and memorial

Any suggestions hotel location 

I see most say manhattan

And looking at things that seems best area

Is one area easier to get on subway at a certain area of Manhattan

We looked at kimpton,Hilton midtown and double tree times square south

But are open to other recommendations

If you want to see the 9/11 Memorial, consider properties in the “financial district”. There is a luxury mall across the street from the Memorial with a nice food court with lots of options. Plenty of outdoor seating. There are various size private operated boat rides up to the Statue of Liberty for great photo ops and just a lovely relaxing experience. Or you can catch the Staten Island Ferry for free. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2019 at 9:11 PM, maggiemouse said:

Hi are coming to new York Oct 31 and cruise leaves Nov 3

Norwegian

Would like to see sights of new york and take in a Broadway show

What hotel and what airline

And any transportation recommendations

2 people 2 queen or double beds 

Hyatt Centric Times Square good review average cost for a hotel in a suburban area.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since you'll be there October 31, you might want to head down to the Village for the annual Halloween Parade.  It's the largest of it's kind in the world, with some of the absolute most outrageous costumes you've ever seen.  Be warned, it does get pretty crazy, and super crowded, but it's an NYC staple these days.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we love the Michelangelo on 51st and 7th perfect location, super large rooms over 400 sq ft  , we are going there tonight elegant small hotel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Anything in the Times Square area should be fine for you to be centrally located & lots of subway access.  You get good values there too in terms of hotel.   One "secret", if you are going to take a taxi, walk a block to make sure you are on a street or especially an avenue that runs in the direction you want to go so you don't get charged for a ride around the block 

 

DH & I often book using the "blind" features of hotwire & only got 1 stinker of a hotel (the elevators were noisy & kept me up all night).  Book 3.5 stars or better to be safe. Bear in mind many of these rooms will be smaller then your cruise ship cabin and you will still pay nasty "resort fees" up to about $40 per night.  

Edited by trish1c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...