Cruise Critic Community
Lawhouse

Price Differentials

I am a well seasoned cruiser, I just cannot get over why the prices of Europe cruises seem to have gone through the roof. 

I seem to be able to book Caribbean cruises and Far East cruises for half the price of anything in Europe, it just doesn’t seem to make any sense. Until last year cruises around the Mediterranean were good value and the price demands are now almost a joke. 

Market demand usually equals higher prices, so my guess is the European cruises are more popular.

The cost to the cruise line to operate in the Caribbean is far less than the cost to operate in Europe. That is no secret, and has been that way for a long time.

Posted (edited)

I hate to make it sound too simplistic, but it really is - it's a matter of supply and demand.  When and if the market declines, so will the pricing.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

You think the cruise prices are bad? You must not have looked at flight prices. It's costing me $400 to fly to Vegas on Frontier this summer

1 hour ago, Lawhouse said:

I am a well seasoned cruiser, I just cannot get over why the prices of Europe cruises seem to have gone through the roof. 

I seem to be able to book Caribbean cruises and Far East cruises for half the price of anything in Europe, it just doesn’t seem to make any sense. Until last year cruises around the Mediterranean were good value and the price demands are now almost a joke. 

I agree. Our last European cruise was in 2016, sailing Harmony OTS in her inaugural season and while the price was a bit more expensive, for obvious reasons, it wasn't silly money. Since then it has actually been cheaper for us to fly across the pond to sail in the Caribbean than to cruise in our own "backyard".

Posted (edited)

We have noticed this as well.  We were thinking of picking up a last minute cruise while traveling in Europe this fall.  The prices seem incredibly high.   So, we will pass.   Agree, there have been a few times where we paid less for our Med cruises, on a per diem basis, than we would have paid for our Caribbean cruise.     We are doing far fewer cruises lately in favour of other modes of travel.

Edited by iancal