Cruise Critic Community
tango223

Santiago Airport to Valparaiso - transportation

We are thinking of coming in one day early before our cruise we leaves from Valparaiso.  We are wondering if anyone has booked a car service/taxi from either the airport or Hotel in Santiago to the port (Valparaiso).   The cruiseline only provides transportation if we come in the day of departure or booking 2 night stay at over $1000.  Can anyone give me information on trying to book the transportation.  Appreciate the help as always from CC.

Taxi will run you around $75 according my app.  We used public transportation.  Nice, standard motor coach from the airport to Alameda bus terminal in downtown Santiago, then another standard motor coach to Valparaiso.  Maybe $15 pp total.  There is also an IBIS hotel right next to the Alameda terminal, and a metro station about a block away if decide to tour Santiago.

I'm not trying to be smart but could I suggest that you make sure your cruise is leaving from Valparaiso. I was under the impression that all cruises are now leaving from San Antonio. We called at Valparaiso on our last South Amercan cruise but are departing from San Antonio in January. I believe the change has been brought about by continuing strikes on the dock in Valpairso.

15 hours ago, joybook said:

I'm not trying to be smart but could I suggest that you make sure your cruise is leaving from Valparaiso. I was under the impression that all cruises are now leaving from San Antonio. We called at Valparaiso on our last South Amercan cruise but are departing from San Antonio in January. I believe the change has been brought about by continuing strikes on the dock in Valpairso.

Joybook - what cruise and line are you going to be on in January?   We are doing Viking and leaving in December and they say we are leaving out of Valparaiso - but your information may be newer.  Do you have a source or link that Chile is moving ships to San Antonio?  Thanks!

We are with Princess and will be departing Santiago (SAN Antonio) on Coral Princess on 5th January for Buenos Aires via Antarctica. When we were last in Valparaiso we got caught up in a dock strike that day and my understanding is that things have got worse there hence the change to SAN Antonio. But as I said just check to make sure. The decision may be up to the individual cruise lines themselves.

I agree: definitely check with your cruise line. We're on a Panama Canal cruise with Oceania, departing January 4 from San Antonio.

Our Holland America cruise also departs from San Antonio in January, 2020.