Royal Caribbean veteran sailing on CCL Sunshine in one week! Help!

anewell28

Hello!!

So I sail on the Sunshine in one week, and as a young person who has been on many Royal Caribbean cruises I am wondering if someone can fill me in on tips and tricks. I have researched some but I always know veterans on cruise lines have a lot of insight. I am also traveling with a friend and her family and I am not in control of bookings. I am merely showing up to the port with them and taking it from there. My main questions:

Luggage- is it unlimited like RCL with print out bag tags?

Drink package- I have the alcohol drinking package, what are things to look out for with the limits? Also does Carnival carry White Claws? *Whats your favorite drink onboard?

Food/Dining Room- I love love love food! Any items I must eat on dining room menu? Anything limitations on appetizers or number of desserts? Any other delicious things i need to eat outside of the dining room?

Other- Anything else I must know?

Thank you! I know these types of boards are frequent but I appreciate the information!!

Carnival suggests no more than 2 checked bags and a carry-on per person, but there is no actual limit.  Carry-on must fit through scanning machine.

You can print all the luggage tags you wish when you print your boarding pass.

Lots of info on Cheers on Carnival website.

Food is too subjective for meaningful recommendations.  There are many outlets with various hours included in the fare.  Again, this information is on the website for the Sunshine.

You are free to order multiple appetizers, entrees, and desserts in the Main Dining Room.

Welcome to Carnival.

Edited by bury me at sea
Added per person on luggage.
  • Like 1

For food, try the warm chocolate melting cake in the dining room. Not everyone likes it, but it’s a Carnival thing so try it at least once. If you like it, you can ask for it with different flavors of ice cream or a side of peanut butter. Also, Blue Iguana is a good buffet alternative which is open for breakfast and lunch. At breakfast they have areaps/huevos rancheros in addition to breakfast burritos. At lunch, they have tacos/burritos. But, if you get in the burrito side you can get a taco salad that imo is better than tacos or burritos. I don’t think it’s on the menu but tends to get more popular as the week goes on. 

Other things- if you like calmer music, there’s an area called ocean plaza. There’s usually a band to listen to at night and you can just chill. On a different note, since you’re going with a friend, try the racing slides. Always fun to get a little competitive. 

Also, do stuff and try to win a ship on a stick. It’s Carnival’s trophy for winning things. It’s tacky and plastic but fun to make it a goal to get one. 

Edit- my favorite drink is a hurricane wave. Half hurricane half daiquiri maybe? I’m not sure but it’s pretty and tropical and good. 

Edited by purplephenom
  • Like 1

RCCL and Carnival are mostly the same. Here are some thoughts about the food on carnival as compared to RCCL:

-Pizza is much better on carnival. Salads are worse (less creative options)

-  Fast options are really good (Blue Iguana Tacos and Burritos, Guys Burgers)

-MDR food is similar. Warm chocolate melting cake is really good. So is vegetarian Indian.

- There’s a lot of singing and dancing in the MDR timed for early and late dining times. This may be a positive or negative for you depending on your preference.

Have a great time!

Alcoholic drinks have a limit of 15 - if you like different, go to Alchemy Bar.   Non-alcoholic drinks do not count towards your limit and pretty much anything available in liquid form is unlimited, including milkshakes.   My fav is a Miami vice - combo of Strawberry Daiquiri and Pina Colada.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, anewell28 said:

Hello!!

So I sail on the Sunshine in one week, and as a young person who has been on many Royal Caribbean cruises I am wondering if someone can fill me in on tips and tricks. I have researched some but I always know veterans on cruise lines have a lot of insight. I am also traveling with a friend and her family and I am not in control of bookings. I am merely showing up to the port with them and taking it from there. My main questions:

Drink package- I have the alcohol drinking package, what are things to look out for with the limits? Also does Carnival carry White Claws? *Whats your favorite drink onboard?

Food/Dining Room- I love love love food! Any items I must eat on dining room menu? Anything limitations on appetizers or number of desserts? Any other delicious things i need to eat outside of the dining room?

Thank you! I know these types of boards are frequent but I appreciate the information!!

Dear anewell,

Welcome aboard, soon, to CCL :NYSE LSE CUK :NYSE.

On RCL :NYSE it now charges for the BBQ Joint.

Carnival doesn't./

Are you a shareholder? It has a great Shareholder Benefit each and every time on all the many cruise lines it owns!

Welcome to Carnival! We've cruised both lines multiple times, but actually prefer Carnival (just seems more laid back).

Carnival's pizza beats RCI hands down.

Alchemy Bar. Seriously, just go.

In the MDR, you can usually get the pasta dishes as an appetizer. And don't miss out on the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake.

No limitations on any items in the MDR--even on lobster night. 

Comedy Club usually has pretty good acts. Get there early unless you want to be standing in the back.

If you want a ship on a stick, Trivia in Ocean Plaza in the afternoons is probably one of the best chances. We won two last year on the Magic.

Guys Burgers, Blue Iguana, Pig & Anchor BBQ...all included. 

Dive In Movies. Grab some popcorn and one of their special fluffy blankets!

Hope you have a great cruise!

• Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 6:55 PM, anewell28 said:

Hello!!

Food is too subjective to give an "unbiased" opinion. However, I enjoyed the MDR food on Royal better but the buffet food on Carnival better.

On the Sunshine, make sure that you eat breakfast and lunch at least once in the Havana Bar (especially early in the cruise before people figure out that there are food stations back there)

Deserts in the lido buffet for lunch are usually the best ones that you will find all day.  There will be a chocolate buffet at least once.

The fruit soups in the MDR are one of my favorite items (usually they will serve strawberry bisque and peach)

Make sure that you eat in the MDR on the first formal night, since they will serve steak and lobster

The MDR will have Baked Alaska only one night - if you like deserts, that is definitely something you will not want to miss

The Alchemy Bar has a set drink menu, but if you ask, the bartenders will make custom martinis (more entertaining and often better tasting than the standard offerings)

• Like 1

Comparing RCCL & CCL is very subjective. Both have a loyal base that prefers one or the other over all others. We have 17 cruises with CCL and 10 with RCCL (and many with other lines). We are destination cruisers rather than loyal to one cruise line.

FOOD:

In my opinion food in the MDR is pretty much equal in quality. Although I love Royal's onion soup!

I can't really speak highly of either lines buffet - we rarely eat there.

I prefer RCCL's choice of "specialty" restaurants over CCL's

DRINK PACKAGE:

We never purchase drink packages - we don't drink but there's plenty of info on the Carnival web-site.

LUGGAGE:

I can't help you there. My wife brings 2 bags & I bring 1 plus a carry-on each so we've never had to worry about luggage limits.

STUFF YOU DIDN'T ASK ABOUT:

I think that the entertainment on RCCL is better than CCL's. Unless you like stand-up comedy, CCL relies heavily on Stand-up Comedy to entertain you in the evenings. RCCL's shows and other entertainment are better.

If you have cruised on a RCCL Oassis class ship you will find nothing that compares with them currently in the Carnival fleet.

This of course is just my opinion. I enjoy cruising with Carnival. I enjoy cruising with all of the cruise lines -- Next cruise, back to Alaska on Princess in June.

Edited by Steve551

I have sailed several times on RCCL ships (Radiance, Enchantment, Grandeur) but mostly CCL.  I personally prefer CCL for the $$ savings.  I have found the food on CCL to be a bit inconsistent.  I have been on some ships where the food was MUCH better than RCCL, and others that weren't.  I have sailed the Sunshine once and it was last August.  I found the specialty restaurants to be OUTSTANDING!  I would suggest eating in at least one during your sailing.  Many have complained about the layout of the Sunshine.  I personally loved it.  Get familiar with the deck plans before sailing.  It really did help and made the trip much more enjoyable and less frustrating.  I loved the location of the piano bar on the Sunshine.  Visit there at least once and go to the Steakhouse bar for a drink prior.  It's next door to the Piano Bar.  Definitely go to the Alchemy Bar as suggested by many previous posters.  I love that CCL still does towel animals.  It's hit or miss on RCCL.  I loved having CHEERS.  Definitely try some of the more expensive items on the drink menu.  If you don't like it, no worries.  I carry 15 one dollar bills with me.  I always tip at least one dollar and that's how I keep track of how many drinks I have left. When my ones are gone, I am done.  I'm not a big drinker, but it's amazing how fast those drinks disappear, especially on sea days.  Non-alcoholic drinks are unlimited.  No, they don't carry CLAWS.  I love those too, but they aren't on the ships.  I usually do a flavored vodka with club soda.  It tastes very similar to a CLAWS drink.  I LOVE the deli and pizza area on CCL ships.  The pizza is WAY better than RCCL.  Also you have to try the Reuben sandwiches, either by room service or at the deli.  They are DELISH!  You can print out as many luggage tags as needed but Carnival prefers you limit your checked bags to 2 per person.  That's about it for suggestions.  Enjoy!

@anewell28 enjoy your cruise and try not to get too hung up on the differences between Carnival and RCCL- each cruise is different, even within each cruiseline, so take the advice we've given you here and just try to find the things you like the most and do them again! Many have pointed out their favorite things about cruising with Carnival and I find I agree with almost everything others have said, so I'll point out a few of my personal favorites:

• Sea Day brunch in the MDR- go early for breakfast, go back for brunch!
  • Deli- someone mentioned the Reubens- OMG YES!!!
  • Dive In Movies- they play a couple of movies each evening (earlier is usually PG, the later one can be a bit less geared towards kidlets) on the Lido deck... bundle up on a lounger with a blanket and enjoy your favorite movie!

Enjoy your cruise!

On 5/25/2019 at 8:05 PM, purplephenom said:

If you like it, you can ask for it with different flavors of ice cream or a side of peanut butter.

What??? Shut the front door!  Why didn't I know about this before my first cruise in December?  Thanks for the tip. 🙂

• Like 1

I just took my first cruise at the end of last year.  I will repeat what others have said. GUY'S BURGERS!!!  I love them.  I limit myself cause I can imagine how bad they are for me. It's a must try. 

I second the chocolate melting cake.  Its worth sitting through dinner for.  Also, If I recall, you can't even pay for drinks after you get to 15 so once you hit 14 drinks, start buying them "for friends."  You would think you would never make 15 drinks in a day but it is doable on sea days without even being overly tipsy, especially if you assume you will never get there and discard drinks once they get warm.  I like the Kiss on the Lips. But I feel like a fool ordering it.

On 5/27/2019 at 6:14 AM, CruizCuz said:

I have sailed several times on RCCL ships (Radiance, Enchantment, Grandeur) but mostly CCL.  I personally prefer CCL for the $$ savings.  I have found the food on CCL to be a bit inconsistent.  I have been on some ships where the food was MUCH better than RCCL, and others that weren't.  I have sailed the Sunshine once and it was last August.  I found the specialty restaurants to be OUTSTANDING!  I would suggest eating in at least one during your sailing.  Many have complained about the layout of the Sunshine.  I personally loved it.  Get familiar with the deck plans before sailing.  It really did help and made the trip much more enjoyable and less frustrating.  I loved the location of the piano bar on the Sunshine.  Visit there at least once and go to the Steakhouse bar for a drink prior.  It's next door to the Piano Bar.  Definitely go to the Alchemy Bar as suggested by many previous posters.  I love that CCL still does towel animals.  It's hit or miss on RCCL.  I loved having CHEERS.  Definitely try some of the more expensive items on the drink menu.  If you don't like it, no worries.  I carry 15 one dollar bills with me.  I always tip at least one dollar and that's how I keep track of how many drinks I have left. When my ones are gone, I am done.  I'm not a big drinker, but it's amazing how fast those drinks disappear, especially on sea days.  Non-alcoholic drinks are unlimited.  No, they don't carry CLAWS.  I love those too, but they aren't on the ships.  I usually do a flavored vodka with club soda.  It tastes very similar to a CLAWS drink.  I LOVE the deli and pizza area on CCL ships.  The pizza is WAY better than RCCL.  Also you have to try the Reuben sandwiches, either by room service or at the deli.  They are DELISH!  You can print out as many luggage tags as needed but Carnival prefers you limit your checked bags to 2 per person.  That's about it for suggestions.  Enjoy!

I believe they now carry the Truly drinks, which are basically the same as White Claw 🙂

• Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 8:18 PM, tandemcruzr said:

Welcome to Carnival and the Sunshine. Be sure to check out the Serenity area - decks 11, 12 and 14 forward, and the Havana area - deck 9 aft. Enjoy your cruise.

I've seen some videos of the Serenity Deck on Sunshine. Looks amazing! Is it for all (adult) guests, or only those in suites?

55 minutes ago, ramja96 said:

I've seen some videos of the Serenity Deck on Sunshine. Looks amazing! Is it for all (adult) guests, or only those in suites?

For ALL adults, thank goodness. It's awesome. From interior to suites, any adult can enjoy!😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1