tall ships

tinkr2

8 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

What is the difference between Windstar cruises and windjammer cruises? Doing a tall ship charter and know nothing.

The sails on the Windstar ships are operated electronically, not manually.  That means that the deck is not cluttered with rigging and lines.  There is much more deck space, which is a lovely place to be.

• Like 1

Windjammer cruises range from camping to glamping in terms of amenities, a Windstar cruise looks to be like a small cruise ship with automated sails.  You might also want to checkout Clipper Cruises which have a third ship type.

Many windjammer cruises are quite rustic.  I took one years ago through the Maine Windjammer Association, and it was a century old wooden ship with small bunks,  a shared marine head, and 5 gallons of hot water in the morning to be shared by the whole boat for washing.  The experience was similar to camping.  Sailing the ship was the activity, food was good, ship was fun, but not for everyone for sure.  Other windjammers have more amenities, but if it is imported to you ask, don't take anything for granted.  Windjammer cruises are an amazing experience.

• Like 1

Hi,

Star Flyer is a Barq clipper ship a bit smaller, bit different rigging that a full rigged ship. 

Sea Cloud is a full rigged clipper ship

Both those ships are cruise ships, small like WS, they do more sailing without the motors. We have never experienced them but have met many devoted fans.

Windstar Cruises has three motor sailing ships 2 small 149 people, the Surf 300.We love WS cruises and we especially love the sailing ships. Extremely comfortable yet you have the feeling of sailing. They do shut the motors and that is a treat. Great service and food. Great swim platform. We can not imagine the Caribbean on anything else.

Ponant, the French,  line  is a motor sailing ship, very new, very high tech. Never been on it but we hear it is very high end. Interesting trips from what I can see. Being French very intriguing for us for French is my husband’s language and I love to speak it, plus we hear the food is fabulous. It might be too high end for us and we simply can not jump ship with WS. 

Down Maine Schooners do weekly trips along the Maine Coast. More rustic but nice, small. Beautiful, friendly, rustic, fun. Communal food, lobster cookout, a lot of activity off the ships. Maine weather can be perfect or dreadful. 

Happy Sailing all great choices. Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info everyone. we have one booked from Grenada to St. Lucia. The business partners are all going. I know many love windjammer but was not having much luck in finding info. Like costs or excursions. I am sure it will be lovely as we enjoy sailing very much.

I'm not sure if you are going on a Windstar or a Windjammer, but I will agree with others that they are different (roughly speaking, one is more like a sailing ship that serves cruise passengers, and one is more like a cruise ship that has sails)

The sails on Windstar sailing ships are beautiful, but I will just say that how/when they get used depends very much on wind/weather.  They like to raise them when they leave port, but they also don't want to lose time getting to wherever they are supposed to be. 

I remember one day when we had the sails up but were motoring straight into the wind (so even though the sails were trimmed as tight as can be they were still luffing constantly).  As someone who enjoys sailing very much I think it was actually worse to have the sails up but luffing than not have them up at all. 

I only mention that to say that IMO, it's best not to have high expectations for "sailing" on a Windstar cruise.  The sails will be beautiful, but if you want to be assured of a sailing experience, I'd look for a port excursion, and consider any sort of sailing experience you get on the ship itself to be a bonus.