Just back from Viking Ocean...we miss Oceania!

bradpole

Hello Everyone!

From time to time I’ve seen comments/questions people trying to compare Oceania to Viking Ocean.  We have recently returned from the Viking Star (Venice to Athens) and I can tell you, there is no comparison!  We won’t be booking Viking a second time, we are eagerly anticipating our returning to Oceania! I have started a thread in the Viking section which offers more details on the ports as well as lots of pictures, that can be found here:

First off, we did enjoy our cruise, the ports were amazing and we hope to return.  We didn’t setoff to compare Viking to Oceania but considering when Viking launched I remember seeing a number of presentations by their chairman trying to compare their produce to O’s.  In addition they are in the same price bracket (although I think our Viking cruise was more expensive than a similar O cruise) so comparing the two products seems very fair to us.  Naturally there will be people who completely disagree with what I say, and that's fine.  These are simply my random opinions.  

Just a little background, we have only sailed R class ships so far.  We haven’t actually sailed on Marina or Riviera...yet.

Physical Ship:  We loved the physical ship, to us Viking Star was near perfection.  Almost everything onboard the ship was well thought out and very comfortable.  The pictures you see online just don’t do that ship justice. There are so many comfortable places to sit and read.  One of the nicest places is the “living room” (or atrium) spanning decks 1-3. It is a lively area in the evening with live music from 6 until late in the evening.  There are numerous areas with comfy couches, chairs, etc.. that just beg for you to sit down and socialize or curl up with a book. Either a book you brought or one of the many books that are all over the ship.  There were numerous times I’d sit down to read my kindle and one of Viking’s books would catch my eye and I’d spend my time reading that book instead. Also, don’t forget the full walkaround promenade deck. Such a nice feature to find on a modern ship.  

Cabin:  Although the cabins we have had on Oceania are smaller (Interior, Ocean View, and Balcony) we find them better laid out and have more storage.  We had a DV6 cabin on Viking Star and although it is large the storage was very poor. The biggest waste of space is the desk. There are no drawers, just one very large mini-bar that contains 6 cans of luke warm soda.  The bedside tables do have US, Euro, and USB outlets but besides a small drawer don’t offer much use.  One huge plus on Viking is that the beds are couple of inches higher than O, which meant our suitcase could easily slide under and out.  That same suitcase on O has been a struggle to get it to fit under the bed.  Given the lack of storage on Viking we found ourselves keeping a few items in the suitcase under the bed.  

Bathroom:  This where Viking shines!  The bathroom is huge! Two drawers, multiple small shelves on both sides of the sink, and multiple shelves below the sink.   The actual glass enclosed shower is pretty large as well with a big shelf to line up all the soaps and plastic bottles one may have.  The two best features of the bathroom have to be the heated floor and the night light!

Cabin softgoods:  This is an area where Viking really misses the boat.  The sheets and towels although spotlessly clean don’t feel to be of a particularly high quality.  The bath towels felt “scratchy” not the wonderful fluffy towels we find on O. The same could be said for the bed sheets.  Considering Viking’s price point and the many other thoughtful touches around the ship this seemed like a strange area to cheap out on.  Also, the pillow cases were the strangest pillow cases we have ever encountered. All of the pillow cases on our pillows (and we had extra because of my bad back) opened on the long end, not the short end, which meant that during the night the pillow cases tended to come off much to easily.  It seems a silly thing to call out here, but we’ve never seen pillow cases (except possibly a decorative one) that was open on the bottom instead of the side. I could see them really upsetting a germaphobe.

Food:  No comparison.  Oceania Wins!  Trust me we didn’t go hungry, there were multiple occasions of “why?” or “ummm, nice try” or “think again” uttered under our breath during meals on Viking.  First off baked goods, on Viking seemed fresh, but not even close to the wonderful treats one receives on O.

Buffet (Terrace cafe/World cafe).  O wins. Viking does offer some ‘cooked to order’ items but not many.  Most items are pre plated sitting there waiting for you. Eggs benedict at breakfast is plated and sitting on the line, not cooked to order as they are on O.  Considering the World Cafe on Viking has a huge open Galley between the buffet lines there is no excuse for not cooking to order. Even HAL poaches eggs to order!  

Pool Grill.  O Wins. On viking they precook pretty much everything and warm it up.  O’s system of placing your order, and taking a number to your table to have a freshly cooked burger delivered to you wins hands down!  

Viking seems like they think they have 3,000 people to cook for onboard, not the 900 they actually have onboard.  I wouldn’t be surprised if the people who developed their F&B programs came from mega ships. Those were just a few examples of how the food quality and preparation is vastly superior on O compared to Viking.  I won’t even compare their “speciality” restaurants, I think actions speak louder than words. After just one meal at Manfredi's we cancelled our second.

Mamsen’s:  This is a small cafe that Viking has off the side of the Explorer’s lounge (think Horizons) that in the mornings serve WONDERFUL Norwegian waffles and other breakfast items.  Later in the day they serve the waffles again with some of other sweet and savory items and offer some late night munchies (mostly cold cuts).

Espresso Machines:  On Viking every bar has their own espresso machine to make wonderful coffees.  Some of the bartenders ability to use these machines and make an espresso can be questioned, but that’s a simple training issue.  

From time to time we’d make conversation with other people onboard.  I’d say the vast majority of people who we met that have cruised before have either only done river cruises or have only cruised Viking.  A couple of people seem literally flabbergasted that we’ve cruised other cruise lines! So Viking’s marketing is working, and it seems like there is nothing to slow them down.  

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

Click your heels together three times and say ‘There’s no place like O’ and you'll be there.

This is how I felt day 1 on Oceania.  I sank into their divine chaise loungers, library chairs,  various seating areas around the ship and I was in heaven.  Then I had a meal and I was sold. 

we didn’t feel the comfort level on Viking matched Oceania.  The poolside chairs were mostly cheap metal and mesh.   A handful of padded chairs were tucked into the edges but ventilation was lacking.   For some reason the retractable roof was closed more than it was open.   

There was little shade to enjoy and not even chair side umbrellas. I thought they totally failed on the promenade deck, no loungers.  Instead they had a few table and chair sets at the rear, never saw anyone sitting there.

i agree about the gorgeous living room areas, comfortable seating but I’m looking for fresh air. 

We we had several very good meals in the specialties,  especially Manfredis.  We cherry picked our Chef table menu and thought it was well done.  

The restaurant was hit and miss but not as good as O.  Their bread was mostly tasteless and they didn’t have the great accompaniments like O.   But I I noticed they arranged the bread baskets like O.  

Disappointed in Mamsens although the sweets were divine.  Thought it was a restaurant. 

Pool Grill food was OK but no place to sit and eat a meal.  A couple high top tables.  How I missed the breeze and relaxation of Waves.  

I really missed Terrace Grill breakfast and lunch., especially sitting outside in the shade.  I missed the cooked to order and served to order food.  I tried very little food in the Viking buffet as I do not trust self serve.  

Viking has a terrific spa,  lots included at no charge.  .  

Our Viking river and ocean trips have been booked a month or two prior to sailing with cheaper prices and air and amenities thrown in.  They have a few itineraries of interest but I’m not going to pay way in advance. 

We tried Viking as a change of pace and it is several levels above mass market.  But it is not Oceania. 

I had to laugh at the OP’s comment about fellow passengers only knowing Viking.  

• Like 2

You might be interested to know a little known fact..the Ren ships stopped at Ren 8 BUT there were more plans drawn for Ren 9 and 10..these plans were bought by Viking and that is what you were sailing on Ren 9 and 10..so if you liked the layout of the ships you now know why..

Jancruz1

We just sailed both Viking last July on their Into the Midnight Sun cruise on the Sky and more recently on the Oceania Marina from London to Barcelona this past April.  Both cruises and ships were great.  We like both lines and I have a cruise booked on the new Viking Jupiter in January 2020 and on the Oceania Riviera in Sept 2020.  I do agree the food is somewhat better on Oceania but not enough to keep me from booking Viking.  We had some great food on both ships and some meals that were just ok on both as well.  We choose our ships for the itinerary first.   i loved the gelato on Viking but enjoyed the ice cream on Oceania.  Waves grill is the best and I love its location but we ate there mostly because the buffet closes at 2 and we rarely were back from our excursion to enjoy the buffet. We also like the included wines and beer at both lunch and dinner.  As far as cabins both ships are nice but the Penthouse veranda on Viking has a ton of storage space some of which I never used.  Also the towels on Oceania were horrible.  None of this would make me choose either line over the other but that’s just me.  We’ve only sailed once on Viking and 4 times on Oceania so we’ll see how the next trips go.

Just got off the Orion today.

Generally agree with OP and most others above - the cruise was fine but no need to repeat Viking ocean while Oceania maintains at least its current standard.

I could go into much detail but instead will just briefly summarize:

Viking wins in:

1 Technology - excellent 21st century technology throughout the ship with interactive TV with many, many choices; excellent wifi, Viking voyager app with lots of info including all menus and ability to make reservations, electronic boards throughout the ship with all kinds of info

2 instead of having to line up (at times in a long line) at the reception/guest services desk like on Oceania, Viking has 3 separate tables with chairs widely spread apart for privacy where you can sit down and talk to the staff (more like the concierge desk on Oceania) - very civilized.

3 Voice boxes on excursions

Oceania wins everything else in OUR opinion.

Would we cruise Viking again? Yes - but only for a unique itinerary and good price and I don’t see either of those at the present.

Will gladly answer any specific questions.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jancruz said:

You might be interested to know a little known fact..the Ren ships stopped at Ren 8 BUT there were more plans drawn for Ren 9 and 10..these plans were bought by Viking and that is what you were sailing on Ren 9 and 10..so if you liked the layout of the ships you now know why..

Jancruz1

Now that's something worth knowing, Jan!  I was unhappy with Ren 6-7-8 because of the elimination of what Oceania calls the PH suites.  How interesting to know that Ren had really rethought the whole process!

Mura

8 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

Been on R's and Viking... There is nothing on the Viking Ships that resembles R. First Viking ship designed 15 years after R went out of business, one is French designed and built the other Italian, Big difference in size and type of propulsion systems. Most of the core technology on the Viking did not exist in the 1990's. At the time of the R demise there was a Royal Viking Cruise Line ( no relation to the current Viking) and I would suspect they would have been interested in the R plans. HAL Prinsedam  was an RVCL ship and has the same feel as an R ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also do not see the "R" in the Viking design but like O's O and R ships and what I like best about Viking Ocean is the ship itself-the decor and public places.  bradpole, I would be interested to hear what you like best about ) after you try the Marina or Riviera.  We took 2 great cruises on the Marina but then tried Nautica.  Our next cruise will be a longer Nautica cruise.  I like the smaller size and the better location of the coffee bar though I miss having 4 specialty restaurant choices.

That said, both of our Viking cruises were good too.  We chose by itinerary first and shipboard amenities after.  Viking I like for all balcony cabins useful or not (in 3 O and 2 V, we used the balcony the most on the first O in the South Pacific), the number of self washing machines available free and with safe soap included, the lectures and guest historians (I see that does not appeal to all guests and is of no use if no or few sea days), and Mamsens.  Oceania wins on food though Viking is still better than mega ships etc.  Viking does have cooking classes on sea days though it is prep and demo not full participation like O.  Viking has a couple of reasonable spa experiences (Nordic Bath Experience $49 with spa samples and relaxing hour or two with steam and snow!) which I am hoping someone here will tell me exist on O and R ships. Viking does have a lot of Viking River cruisers converting to ocean.  The one bad Viking thing it that the included excursions are mostly not good and not like their walking river excursions at all.  Cruise ports are seldom close enough to towns to make it work right.  All the other things are better selling points.  And we are less likely to book V again if they really enforce the policy of paying a year in advance. Viking also is still a bit behind O and others on itineraries offered.  But, like I said, both are good and we continue to chose by itinerary for the most part.

21 hours ago, sammiedawg said:

This is how I felt day 1 on Oceania.  I sank into their divine chaise loungers, library chairs,  various seating areas around the ship and I was in heaven.  Then I had a meal and I was sold. 

we didn’t feel the comfort level on Viking matched Oceania.  The poolside chairs were mostly cheap metal and mesh.   A handful of padded chairs were tucked into the edges but ventilation was lacking.   For some reason the retractable roof was closed more than it was open.   

There was little shade to enjoy and not even chair side umbrellas. I thought they totally failed on the promenade deck, no loungers.  Instead they had a few table and chair sets at the rear, never saw anyone sitting there.

i agree about the gorgeous living room areas, comfortable seating but I’m looking for fresh air. 

We we had several very good meals in the specialties,  especially Manfredis.  We cherry picked our Chef table menu and thought it was well done.  

The restaurant was hit and miss but not as good as O.  Their bread was mostly tasteless and they didn’t have the great accompaniments like O.   But I I noticed they arranged the bread baskets like O.  

Disappointed in Mamsens although the sweets were divine.  Thought it was a restaurant. 

Pool Grill food was OK but no place to sit and eat a meal.  A couple high top tables.  How I missed the breeze and relaxation of Waves.  

I really missed Terrace Grill breakfast and lunch., especially sitting outside in the shade.  I missed the cooked to order and served to order food.  I tried very little food in the Viking buffet as I do not trust self serve.  

Viking has a terrific spa,  lots included at no charge.  .  

Our Viking river and ocean trips have been booked a month or two prior to sailing with cheaper prices and air and amenities thrown in.  They have a few itineraries of interest but I’m not going to pay way in advance. 

We tried Viking as a change of pace and it is several levels above mass market.  But it is not Oceania. 

I had to laugh at the OP’s comment about fellow passengers only knowing Viking.  

Their incessant advertising  saying they are the best in the world ...over and over and over did it for me....  You don't have to push that hard if you have that good a product..  It  is clear they are sucking in all the folks from their river tours for the masses....

10 hours ago, azdrydock said:

Been on R's and Viking... There is nothing on the Viking Ships that resembles R. First Viking ship designed 15 years after R went out of business, one is French designed and built the other Italian, Big difference in size and type of propulsion systems. Most of the core technology on the Viking did not exist in the 1990's. At the time of the R demise there was a Royal Viking Cruise Line ( no relation to the current Viking) and I would suspect they would have been interested in the R plans. HAL Prinsedam  was an RVCL ship and has the same feel as an R ship.

I too was a RVL -Skald  for many a year...  SEA  SUN  SKY    best laid out ships ever.....I miss them.

17 hours ago, Mura said:

Now that's something worth knowing, Jan!  I was unhappy with Ren 6-7-8 because of the elimination of what Oceania calls the PH suites.  How interesting to know that Ren had really rethought the whole process!

Mura

I thought so too Mura..when I heard it from a VP at Oceania..

Jancruz1

45 minutes ago, Shawnino said:

The turn-off for me re: Viking is that you're paying for excursions, want them or not.

Yes and there was a hokey like worship of the included excursions.  

But Viking has marketing geniuses working for them.  Somehow they have won all kinds of “awards”. I’m a little skeptical.  It is still a couple steps up from mass market lines. 

Their sales people transverse the country visiting local brick and mortar travel companies and they really put on a show.  They cover river and ocean cruises, complete with German entertainment, food, beer.  Photos, videos, power points are absolutely first rate.  And they give prizes away. 

18 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Just got off the Orion today.

Generally agree with OP and most others above - the cruise was fine but no need to repeat Viking ocean while Oceania maintains at least its current standard.

I could go into much detail but instead will just briefly summarize:

Viking wins in:

1 Technology - excellent 21st century technology throughout the ship with interactive TV with many, many choices; excellent wifi, Viking voyager app with lots of info including all menus and ability to make reservations, electronic boards throughout the ship with all kinds of info

2 instead of having to line up (at times in a long line) at the reception/guest services desk like on Oceania, Viking has 3 separate tables with chairs widely spread apart for privacy where you can sit down and talk to the staff (more like the concierge desk on Oceania) - very civilized.

3 Voice boxes on excursions

Oceania wins everything else in OUR opinion.

Would we cruise Viking again? Yes - but only for a unique itinerary and good price and I don’t see either of those at the present.

Will gladly answer any specific questions.

All good points, we picked up extra Manfredi reservations online.  

I don't doubt what OP was said, but on 4 VO's never saw eggs bennie plated. There was always a 'display' sitting on the counter. There was a "chef" in the center of the galley poaching the eggs and the servers on both sides yelling the orders to him; sounded like a NY Deli with different accents. About half way through our first cruise I realized if you want something other then what was on display just asked for it. Lunch time, they showed a single sandwich and roasted chicken on display. I asked the server if there was anything else ended up with a different sandwich. Person behind heard what went on and asked if he can get fried chicken instead of the roasted; server told him it will take a few minutes and they will bring it to him. Interesting thing was when he prepared my roast beef sandwich he had a large loose leaf book behind the counter with pictures showing him how present it. On the latest VO's they added a dedicated omelet station and might have had some packaged sandwiches for the grab and go crowd. Agree with the comments about the  outside grill seating  or lack of on VO.  VO meals smaller and lighter then O, more fish choices on VO.  As mentioned,  you have to cherry pick  your Chef's table visits, it is a fixed menu changing periodically and the what is served is something you will either love or hate.

The first few days of our O cruise O had the food edge;  last few days there was very limited whole fruit, lot's of fruit salads, wilted lettuce etc and many other things indicating they were running low on stocks. This was a subject of conversation throughout the ship. I won't judge O by this until our cruise on the Marina in December. 

Riviera library.... bring a flash light. Artwork on Riviera depressing.....  Service is the toughest thing to compare, both lines were adequately staffed  and trained. There are always crew members at the end of their final contract and the young and energetic on their first.

Viking free free excursions  tend to be general panoramic tours and good for a port that is not a must see for you, Viking tends to monitor and control tours better then anyone. Besides the VOX systems the guides are in contact with the ship all the times. Last year, on another line, most of the  excursions arrived back at the same time. Everyone had to get off the buses and wait  about 30 minutes in a pouring rain in Iceland because of gangway congestion. A few months latter similar situation with Viking, the V excursion team would not allow a bus to unload until the gangway was clear. We heard the complaining from a local tour manager that he had to have his buses back to the  depot and we heard the Viking agent explain who is in charge. 

We found on our earlier V Cruises most of the passengers had cruised before on other comparable lines. We made friends with  Celebrity, Crystal and Azamara loyalists. Not many river rats,  more Aussies and Euros then our other cruises. Last cruise in December they announced that close to 70% of the passengers had previously cruised with VO.

The VO 1 year or less pay in full policy is terrible. It just cost them a booking with us. Similar itinerary and price on Azamara for late next spring, both with big promos, the booking goes to Azamara strictly because of the payments. We book on iitinerary so O wasn't considered.

Viking is still our preferred, but maybe our next O cruise will change this, after all we swore we would never set foot on an R ship again because veranda cabin size the bathrooms and we will probably end up soon booking again.

FWIW, the first time I saw a Viking Ocean ship was in Venice and at first I thought I was looking at an Oceania ship. I had not trouble seeing the resemblance apparently. 

5 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Their incessant advertising  saying they are the best in the world ...over and over and over did it for me....  You don't have to push that hard if you have that good a product..  It  is clear they are sucking in all the folks from their river tours for the masses....

Viking defender is back

Wow 

I guess the post office  must be sending me all those glossy Oceania booklets a couple of days a week on their own. Really like the ones touting "included air" Judging from the Viking cruisers, happy or not, in this thread they must be part of the  "masses" that got sucked in.

Reality is Viking and Oceania target the same demographic with different weapons. If your last cruise was a three day MegaShip out of Miami odds are you were not watching the channel or newscast that Viking was advertising on.  We are doing just what advertisers want.. we are talking about it

Edited by azdrydock
words

Just one more comment about Viking.  We are booked on the January 20, 2020 cruise from Buenos Aires to Santiago.  So far as of today my $1000. Deposit is all I’ve paid.  Final payment is due in late August, 5 mos before we sail.  You just have to tell your TA to give you the latest final payment date.  

I love Oceania but I also think Viking has a great product and we have experienced some service from them that exceeds Oceania. I just don’t want anyone here thinking they would be wasting their money booking Viking cause it’s not true. Our first VO was because their itinerary was much better than O’s.  Also on the O cruise we just got off of, you would not believe how many people on board said Silversea was so much better than Oceania which I totally disagree.  So there you go.  Happy sailings!

• Like 1

We far prefer Oceania over our single sailing with Viking. Food, service, and included wine, overall is a slam dunk for Oceania.

A place where Viking wins that hasn’t been mentioned. Viking does include tours, good, bad, or indifferent. Their destination services personnel also talk to the tour guides as they bring groups back from those tours. Something outside of the imagination of Oceania. If a guest bogs down a tour, Viking will start assigning them them to a slower pace tour. If fellow cruisers complain about other cruisers bogging down tours, after review, Viking will assign those slower guests to slower paced groups. Oceania, oth, will allow the same cruisers to wreck havoc, to tours they are not physically capable of participating in, day after day. If you complain to Oceania Destinations Services you are considered the problem. 

Fortunately tours are not included on Oceania, so we can book them independently and not endure the Oceania blind eye to the issue.

My supposition is some will find fault with Viking’s practices in these matters and prefer Oceania’s obliviousness. Each to their own.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 2