Cruise Critic Community
Yankeeclipper1

Partially UnCrystalized

23 hours ago, MalbecWine said:

Luxury cruise lines should strive for consistency whether it be a six day cruise or a fourteen day or more.  We have been on longer cruises with a full load and the food was consistent.  I don’t buy the shorter cruise excuse.  Also the ships are never at full capacity if you take into account the single occupancy.

If you are buying a top quality product or stay at Four Seasons/Ritz Carlton and the hotel is full do you expect lesser service or quality?  I would not. All that I mentioned are luxury products and should produce such to the customer.

I totally agree. 

Not to mention average per night cost for shorter cruises is usually more expensive than the longer ones. 

If a first timer had a so so time in a shorter cruise, there wouldn't be a next time.   

Are people who book short 5 day segments allocated two complimentary specialty restaurant reservations?

My observation is... most of the "short cruises" are "inside" a longer cruise, so on both long and short sailings...  cruisers will experience the specialty restaurant overcrowding issues. The longer sailing cruisers could eat in the specialty restaurants when a "short" cruise isn't happening if they want a more relaxing experience. I just picked the days I want and I guess will take my chances but hope the experience will still be enjoyable whether there is a "short" cruise happening on that day or not.

12 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

Right.....but right now, we're talking about the food.  The food may not be the most important thing to you, but apparently it is to some people (like the OP), and that's not wrong.  Not pilloried, but pointing out that changing the subject doesn't make the first subject unimportant 😉

My point was that just because another line does one thing and Crystal does something else, that doesn't make any of them bad, just different. I think it would be quite boring if all the luxury lines did everything the same way. Maybe super ripe fruit is available and maybe it isn't...I think there are at least some ripe fruits even if not all. I think it is difficult to assess whether ingredients are of higher or lower quality - how do you judge that unless you are a real food critic?

1 hour ago, suzeluvscruz said:

My point was that just because another line does one thing and Crystal does something else, that doesn't make any of them bad, just different.

Right, but if someone is noticing a change in something that's important to them, it makes a big difference and might change their future plans. 

1 hour ago, suzeluvscruz said:

I think it is difficult to assess whether ingredients are of higher or lower quality - how do you judge that unless you are a real food critic? 

With a good palate.....It's something that some ordinary people have - a natural gift that they're practised and developed, even if they don't make their living with it. 

Edited by calliopecruiser

6 hours ago, BEAV said:

Are people who book short 5 day segments allocated two complimentary specialty restaurant reservations?

Yes.  And just like a long cruise can be made via PCPC. (one at each).

Keith

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 2:42 AM, ChatKat in Ca. said:

The best way to know if you like something is to try it.  I can only speak to my prior Regent and Oceania experiences, but, Crystal knocks my socks off!  The last Oceania and Regent cruises I took can't hold a candle to Crystal.  I don't sail in the upper categories on Crystal and about the only thing I miss on Regent is the suite size and on Oceania, Jacques.  The entertainment, service, food, crew, enrichment and the fellow passengers exceed all the areas I experienced on Regent/Oceania.

I recently was on O and yes Jacques   was very good but somewhat overcrowded .

I think a French restaurant could be very succesful on C.

Despite entertainment and enrichment are far superior on Crystal some of the entertainers and lecturers are the same as 10 years ago - example for my next Crystal cruise in September a particular female singer and a piano player ( not a lounge piano player ) and certain professor and ambassador ….

I noticed quite often - not only on Crystal  - on shorter cruises the consumption of drinks and complimentary wines during meals seems to be a lot higher as on longer cruises. With quite some drunk people in the evening.

3 hours ago, vistaman said:

I noticed quite often - not only on Crystal  - on shorter cruises the consumption of drinks and complimentary wines during meals seems to be a lot higher as on longer cruises. With quite some drunk people in the evening.

We've noticed the same thing, especially right after Crystal went AI!

3 hours ago, vistaman said:

That's very interesting.  I was telling someone not too long ago that in spite of the all-inclusive nature of alcohol, I had very rarely even heard of someone getting very drunk (enough to be noticed by others), let alone seen it.  However, I favour longer cruises of over 15-16 days.

5 hours ago, vistaman said:

Possibly the difference between a vacation vs a journey?

Short or long cruises, I do not like the ETRO products. I would prefer to have at least an option for a different shower gel or body lotion. I use my own shampoo and conditioner, but I do not want to take also my own body lotion or shower gel to the ship. I prefer the products from Lanvin or Hermès who are offered for example, at 5 stars hotels. Even L’Occitane products could be interesting imho. Scented products are not always so strong that could bother others. The ETRO products offered now, even though they are non scented, they do have a peculiar smell. Sorry for me, I do not like that smell or texture. It would be nice to have an option.

Ivi

12 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Short or long cruises, I do not like the ETRO products. I would prefer to have at least an option for a different shower gel or body lotion. I use my own shampoo and conditioner, but I do not want to take also my own body lotion or shower gel to the ship. I prefer the products from Lanvin or Hermès who are offered for example, at 5 stars hotels. Even L’Occitane products could be interesting imho. Scented products are not always so strong that could bother others. The ETRO products offered now, even though they are non scented, they do have a peculiar smell. Sorry for me, I do not like that smell or texture. It would be nice to have an option.

Ivi

I've never encountered an unscented product in a hotel that's actually pleasant to me.  Usually the smell of the shampoo or soap bases are funky enough to bother me unless you put something in to supplement them.  But I certainly understand it's a need for some and a preference for others, and respect that.  Most hotels generally find a lighter scent that works for the masses, but every once in a while I stay in a hotel that has a particularly obnoxious scent.  The last one I remember is a line that many Ritz-Carlton properties in the US recently used.

I always say it, but I'd love to see Crystal offer Molton Brown, even if just as an option.

Vince

I am not an Etro fan myself and just bring my own.  They gave me some Aveda last cruise.  I think it's time to change it out.  A fancy name is not a favored product

I would prefer Crystal to use a lightly scented product and preferably not Etro. I realise there are some people who have issues with scents but as they are probably in the minority it would make more sense for them to bring their own products. After all what would someone who was sensitive to scents do if they were staying at a hotel? I've never stayed at any hotel who has unscented beauty products.

Gosh, we all have many different preferences!  My last Symphony cruise I liked the Etro shampoo and conditioner but thought the lotion scent was so strong it made my eyes water!  My wonderful stewardess, Monica, brought me unscented Aveda lotion which was perfect for me. Apparently it is not an item that they keep a regular stock of though.  I too think they should have a choice of a couple brands/scents on board on a regular basis. I forgot to mention that in my post cruise survey.

~Nancy

Seabourn does give you choices on products and a very nice touch to what you prefer.

"I prefer the products from Lanvin or Hermès who are offered for example, at 5 stars hotels. Even L’Occitane products could be interesting imho. Scented products are not always so strong that could bother others. The ETRO products offered now, even though they are non scented, they do have a peculiar smell. Sorry for me, I do not like that smell or texture. It would be nice to have an option."

And I personally despise L'Occitane and Lanvin products. (Can't comment on Hermes since I haven't tried them) While I'm not a fan of the ETRO body lotion, I do love their shampoo and yes, I find I'm allergic to certain scents. (I used to love the mint Aveda shampoo until I developed an allergy to it.)

As for the food, I have noticed a difference between Symphony and Serenity in terms of the quality of the food in the main dining halls. I have found that the food on Symphony has consistently been slightly better. I say that with a caveat since the last time I sailed on Serenity was before the shift to open dining. I'm hoping on my cruise in November on Serenity, the food will be as good as on Symphony. Both Prego and Umi on Symphony were spectacular my last two cruises and Umi (Silk Road before dry dock) is always spectacular on Serenity too.

I'm personally less than impressed with Silk and with the Brazilian place (I refuse to look up how to spell it!), but that may also have something to do with being allergic to shellfish and not eating red meat, so I found the offerings less than stellar.

In Waterside, I've found that they will adjust most offerings if there is something not to my liking in terms of flavor, or if it comes with something I can't eat. Just ask.  

As to short/long cruises, our last cruise was an 18 day cruise that was broken up into a two shorter segments. I found no difference in the food quality or service.

9 hours ago, AtA said:

As to short/long cruises, our last cruise was an 18 day cruise that was broken up into a two shorter segments. I found no difference in the food quality or service.

AtA......The menu for the 18 day cruise will be based on 18 days rather than on the subdivided segments.

In other words they will treat that 18 day menu as if the cruise was not subdivided and that is because many people will have been on the full day day cruise.

Keith

All..........

Getting back to the original post I too went through all of my food photos from 2015  to 2019since 2015 was mentioned for comparison to the present.  I also looked at menus.

I pretty much saw the same food served at dinner and pretty much the same types of items on menus.

Yes some presentations changed.  Some were fancier today than in 2015 and some were the same.  The ones that were less fancy (still had the same ingredients) were some of the modern menus items.  Initially they were using more foam and some appetizers arriving with smoke when you took the lid off and there is less than that now.  

Maybe it's just me but I think the food on both ships is better today for a range of reasons and I believe part of it is open dining and the use of the handheld devices.  I also did a search on food dating back to last Fall and most of what I saw mentioned was positive.

Short cruises of six days don't mean less quality of food.  What they do mean is if someone dines at specialty restaurant for three of the days then they are only seeing menus for three days and they might be hitting Waterside on nights that the menu is less appealing to them.  It can happen.  The more days yo are on the greater the chances more items will appeal to you.  Remember, you can see the menu the night before so if you don't see something you like you have time to request something that you will like.  Just my two cents.

Keith

8 minutes ago, NottheMonkey said:

Field testing new cost cutting measures.  Yes or no?

😉

YES!!!  That's better than at least 4 things on the current Waterside breakfast menu.  :classic_dry:  Just plate it in a ceramic bowl and it's good to go.  :classic_ninja:

Vince

Saw packages of noodle dishes out in 3 packs same as in grocery stores. Probably shouldn’t leave those out

1 hour ago, ctjon said:

Saw packages of noodle dishes out in 3 packs same as in grocery stores. Probably shouldn’t leave those out

The cheap noodles in the styrofoam cups were always out at the Bistro on the Bach. 😱

Patty

I think styro-Ramen is a generational (or maybe a regional) thing.  I'm pretty open minded about junk food, but I'm starting to see the instant version being accepted as a snack food in places I never would think anything that is shelf-stable and served in styrofoam would be.  I've seen it in minibars of luxury hotels even. 

My nieces and nephews don't think of it in the same light as I do, so I think its place in culture has changed from our all-you-could-afford college staple.

Vince

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

The cheap noodles in the styrofoam cups were always out at the Bistro on the Bach. 😱

Patty

And likewise in the Bistro on Serenity earlier this year.

Rob