Wearing a lanyard

denmarks

In the past I have gotten it punched at the passenger service desk shortly after boarding.

On our last cruise (around South America on the Royal, they could not punch the hole as it would interfere with the magnetic strip. so now I use the plastic pocket 

I put it in a plastic pocket. That way, I don't have to worry about whether or not they can punch a hole in it.   I also only use a lanyard if I don't have any pockets to keep my card in.

Edited by screwsmcernst

3 hours ago, denmarks said:

If you wear an lanyard to hold your cruise card do you get it punched or put it into a plastic pocket?

2 hours ago, paul929207 said:

In the past I have gotten it punched at the passenger service desk shortly after boarding.

On our last cruise (around South America on the Royal, they could not punch the hole as it would interfere with the magnetic strip. so now I use the plastic pocket 

I won't disagree with Paul's explanation, but there is also new technology that is being introduced.

Princess, for example, is installing new readers to unlock cabin doors.  This is part of preparation for the implementation of their new Medallion system.  Until the medallions are fully rolled out they are issuing a new type of key card that has embedded electronics.  You unlock the cabin door by holding the card key up to the reader.  You do not insert the card into a slot.  The card emits signal that the reader picks up.  The electronics are laminated between the plastic layers of the card.  These electronics included an antenna that winds around the perimeter of the card.  The reason that these cards should not be punched is that there is a good chance that the embedded electronics could be damaged.

1 hour ago, calliopecruiser said:

I usually have my phone with me, and I added an adhesive pocket on the back of my phone case for my card.  They're quite handy in situations like that - I use the same idea for hotel key cards when I'm on a land vacation.  Mine aren't this brand, but the idea is the same. 

I have had cameras and phones mess up the magnetic stripe on the card.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

new type of key card that has embedded electronics

New for Princess, but not new in general.  RCI's Anthem (and I imagine all the ships newer than her) have this type of card, Norwegian's Bliss (not sure what others on that line do as she's the newest as of now) does as well.

30 minutes ago, denmarks said:

I have had cameras and phones mess up the magnetic stripe on the card.

These are specifically designed NOT to allow that.....That's what makes them so handy.  I agree, putting your card next to your phone unprotected can (usually will) erase or muck up the data. 

No idea what ship the OP is sailing on,  so I don't know if they are still using the outdated magnetic strip or if they've converted to the RFID cards.  The former can be punched. The latter  "might" be punched as long as the person knows what part of the card is safe. Better to err on the side of caution and  not punch these.

No way I'd ever wear a lanyard; my card is either in my pocket, purse, or tote. DH always seems to have a pocket.

11 hours ago, OCruisers said:

We never use lanyards ... just use a pocket or my cruise purse for our cruise card/medallion.  

Agree

We also do not lanyards.  DH puts his ID card in his pocket and I put mine in my tiny cruise purse.

Lanyards tell everyone ashore that you are a tourist.  JMO

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

They know whether you're wearing a lanyard or not.

Can you spot me. White guy wearing a island baseball hat and beaded necklace from the island, Harley Davidson T shirt, cargo shorts, vans and taking pictures. 

16 hours ago, hallux said:

New for Princess, but not new in general.  RCI's Anthem (and I imagine all the ships newer than her) have this type of card, Norwegian's Bliss (not sure what others on that line do as she's the newest as of now) does as well.

👍👍👍

Hotels are deploying them, also.

45 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Can you spot me. White guy wearing a island baseball hat and beaded necklace from the island, Harley Davidson T shirt, cargo shorts, vans and taking pictures. 

Your good as long as the hat has the built-in ponytail.

Edited by soonernstlouis

20 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

I usually have my phone with me, and I added an adhesive pocket on the back of my phone case for my card.  They're quite handy in situations like that - I use the same idea for hotel key cards when I'm on a land vacation.  Mine aren't this brand, but the idea is the same. 

Hmm, that is interesting.  I was told not to put my card (or any card with a magnetic strip) near my phone because the phone could scramble the mag strip.  Have you had this occur with your set-up?

Edit: Never mind, I see you already addressed this.

Edited by Toofarfromthesea

I always use a lanyard with a hole punched on the room card.  Don't wear pockets or carry a purse on the ship so this works well for me. If Princess' medallion-wrist band works, I'll be fine with that too.

21 hours ago, XBGuy said:

I won't disagree with Paul's explanation, but there is also new technology that is being introduced.

Princess, for example, is installing new readers to unlock cabin doors.  This is part of preparation for the implementation of their new Medallion system.  Until the medallions are fully rolled out they are issuing a new type of key card that has embedded electronics.  You unlock the cabin door by holding the card key up to the reader.  You do not insert the card into a slot.  The card emits signal that the reader picks up.  The electronics are laminated between the plastic layers of the card.  These electronics included an antenna that winds around the perimeter of the card.  The reason that these cards should not be punched is that there is a good chance that the embedded electronics could be damaged.

This is called RFID.

Many hotels have gone to this also.