Nearest McD that sells lobster rolls?

fstuff1

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Please don't waste your money. If you are in a port that has lobster, go get a real lobster roll.

i was in maine port last week. 

lobster roll was like $20 for 4oz lobster meat. 😞

meh.. rather have 6oz lobster meat for $9.

will be back in northeast US and Canada next month.

was wondering if anyone knew of a McD that sold lobster rolls near any of those cruise port stops?

Edited by fstuff1

Sorry, my opinion still stands.

You probably had a much better lobster roll for $20 then you would get at McDs.

McDs will receive their lobster in a bag. The local places are boiling and cracking themselves. Much different product.

McDs in Maine only sell lobster rolls because A, its Maine, and B, tourists want lobster rolls. No local will be caught eating a lobster roll at McDs.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

McDs in Maine only sell lobster rolls because A, its Maine, and B, tourists want lobster rolls. No local will be caught eating a lobster roll at McDs.

I'm not a local but I wouldn't be caught eating a lobster roll at McDs either, especially not in any place where lobster is fresh.   

Real lobster is not cheap.  Pay the money, get the real thing, get quality.

• Like 4

I hear McDonald's is going to sell pastrami sandwiches in NY City for half the price charged by Katz's . Yep, can't wait for that. :classic_rolleyes: :classic_biggrin: If that works, I hear selling pizza in Naples is next. :classic_tongue:

Edited by njhorseman
  • Haha 2

With all that being said, since the Maine ports aren't departure ports, you might want to ask on the Canada/New England ports of call board, but I can't imagine the response will be any different. I know of no McDs in Bar Harbor, and a quick look in Portland shows nothing near the port.

23 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

heard that some McDonalds last year in the northeast sold lobster rolls with 6oz lobster meat for $9.

anyone know if these McD are within walking distance of a port?

And which port??

While I am a local, I'm not a huge fan of lobster rolls, but my wife has had the McDonalds roll a few years ago.  She said it was "okay".  I would doubt that you get 6 oz of lobster in it, more like 6 oz of lobster/mayo/celery/lettuce, heavy on the mayo.

As for the cost of a lobster roll, any place that only gives 4 oz of meat is not serving a good roll.  6-8 oz is normal.  Last week is still early in the season, so prices will be higher than in the middle of summer.  $20-25 is a normal price for a lobster roll with as much meat as I mention at the peak of the season.  Heck, Boone's Fish House and Oyster Room in Portland charges $40 for a roll that has the meat of a full 1-1/4 lb lobster.  But to answer your question, there are no McD's within walking distance of the pier in Portland, nor in Bar Harbor.  Boston is even further, and these are all walking cities/towns.  And, McD's uses frozen lobster meat, so if you like cruise ship lobsters, you may like theirs.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

With all that being said, since the Maine ports aren't departure ports, you might want to ask on the Canada/New England ports of call board, but I can't imagine the response will be any different. I know of no McDs in Bar Harbor, and a quick look in Portland shows nothing near the port.

thx!

didnt even know there was a separate forum.

guess i should have scrolled down a little more :)

McD lobster rolls are frozen lobster and very watery, with a LOT of greens. If you've never had a real lobster roll, you may actually like the McD version at first; then, you'll wonder what the big deal is. Buy the $20 rolls from a real lobster shack; there is a world of difference.

Edited by Langoustine
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, Langoustine said:

McD lobster rolls are frozen lobster and very watery, with a LOT of greens. If you've never had a real lobster roll, you may actually like the McD version at first; then, you'll wonder what the big deal is. Buy the $20 rolls from a real lobster shack; there is a world of difference.

Given your screen name, I hope the OP knows to listen to you. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thank you.I hope so, too... Since live lobsters are available down the street from me on 9th Avenue @ $7.95 a pound, I find it much easier to steam them and make my own, though I realize that's not an option for most people. Strangely, lobsters used to be so plentiful that they were mostly fed to jailed inmates: https://www.10best.com/interests/food-culture/how-lobster-went-from-prison-trash-food-to-delicacy/

• Like 1

Answered in your other thread.  They were never 6 oz. and they weren't very good.  I liked the comparison above:  It's like the difference between pastrami at a good deli and pastrami if McD's sold it.

• Like 1

On one of our Canada/New England cruises a few years ago we decided to have lobster in one form or another for lunch in each port, Halifax, St. John, Bar Harbor, Portland, Boston and Newport. Our meals ranged from complete lobster dinners to lobster rolls to lobster salads to lobster mac and cheese. 

We spent a lot of money on lunch, but it was well worth it. :classic_smile: 

In one of the restaurants in St. John, several of the ship's senior officers were also enjoying a lobster lunch.

It's not as if we can't get good lobster in NJ...we certainly can...but the lobster taken from the colder waters of Northern New England and Atlantic Canada is even better.

Needless to say Mickey D's was not included on our lobster tour. 

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

On one of our Canada/New England cruises a few years ago we decided to have lobster in one form or another for lunch in each port, Halifax, St. John, Bar Harbor, Portland, Boston and Newport. Our meals ranged from complete lobster dinners to lobster rolls to lobster salads to lobster mac and cheese. 

We spent a lot of money on lunch, but it was well worth it. :classic_smile: 

We have a New England/Canada cruise this fall and will likely be doing the same for lunch.  :classic_smile:   Our ports include Boston, Portland, Bar Harbor and Halifax, so if you recall any places you liked, feel free to share, thanks! 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

We have a New England/Canada cruise this fall and will likely be doing the same for lunch.  :classic_smile:   Our ports include Boston, Portland, Bar Harbor and Halifax, so if you recall any places you liked, feel free to share, thanks! 

I'm not going to be much help with names. It was a few years ago and we did it mostly ad hoc... we just went into places that looked good, except in Halifax, where we ate in a restaurant just outside the city  that was included in a shore excursion .

In Boston it was a pub type of restaurant located in the Faneuil Hall Marketplace...what is commonly called Quincy Market . It wasn't one of those places jammed cheek-to-jowl into the ground floor food hall. It had an outdoor patio but we ate on the second floor in their upstairs dining area and bar. I believe that's where I had lobster mac and cheese.

In Bar Harbor we chose one of the many restaurants that were located very near the tender pier. Had full dinners there.

In Portland we just wandered along the waterfront and had lobster rolls from some hole-in-the-wall bar.

Sorry that I couldn't be more helpful.

Edited by njhorseman

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I'm not going to be much help with names. It was a few years ago and we did it mostly ad hoc... we just went into places that looked good, except in Halifax, where we ate in a restaurant just outside the city  that was included in a shore excursion .

In Boston it was a pub type of restaurant located in the Faneuil Hall Marketplace...what is commonly called Quincy Market . It wasn't one of those places jammed cheek-to-jowl into the ground floor food hall. It had an outdoor patio but we ate on the second floor in their upstairs dining area and bar. I believe that's where I had lobster mac and cheese.

In Bar Harbor we chose one of the many restaurants that were located very near the tender pier. Had full dinners there.

In Portland we just wandered along the waterfront and had lobster rolls from some hole-in-the-wall bar.

Sorry that I couldn't be more helpful.

Faneuil hall is the gift shops on the first floor, and the museum of the Ancient and Honorable Company of Artillery, the oldest active military unit in the world, on the top floor.

Quincy market is the adjoining building which has the jam packed food court.  I believe you are referring to Ned Devine's restaurant in Quincy Market, quite nice.

On Portland's waterfront, the best "hole in the wall" is Becky's Diner.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

I'm not going to be much help with names.  <snip>

No worries, what you described is what we will likely do (except perhaps in Halifax, where we may return to the Five Fishermen for the most incredible fish tacos we've ever had :classic_smile:).  Thanks again.

25 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Faneuil hall is the gift shops on the first floor, and the museum of the Ancient and Honorable Company of Artillery, the oldest active military unit in the world, on the top floor.

Quincy market is the adjoining building which has the jam packed food court.  I believe you are referring to Ned Devine's restaurant in Quincy Market, quite nice.

Thank you, Chief!

27 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, it was Ned Devine's. 

Edited by njhorseman