Help with rooms on Princess Alaska sailing

Mjroth13

We’ve decided to go to Alaska on Princess in 2021. We’ll have at least 2 adults and 2 kids and perhaps 2 more adults. I looked at the deck plans for the ships that sail to Alaska and assume we have to book fast when it opens up. Does anyone have any recommendations for a 3 bed/4 person stateroom on the Golden or Island Princess?  We definitely want a balcony and are open to a mini-suite (depending on cost of course).  

Thanks!

30 minutes ago, Mjroth13 said:

We’ve decided to go to Alaska on Princess in 2021. We’ll have at least 2 adults and 2 kids and perhaps 2 more adults. I looked at the deck plans for the ships that sail to Alaska and assume we have to book fast when it opens up. Does anyone have any recommendations for a 3 bed/4 person stateroom on the Golden or Island Princess?  We definitely want a balcony and are open to a mini-suite (depending on cost of course).  

Thanks!

I would recommend a mini-suite for that class of ship. Not only is there more space, but the beds aren’t cramped together as opposed to a regular balcony cabin. 

• Like 1

Are the kids old enough (and not move a lot in their sleep) where at least one of them would be fine in an upper bunk? A mini would allow the adults to sleep in the same bed (vs two twins) and one kid on the couch, the other in an upper bunk.

• Like 1

As an alternative to the mini-suite, would you consider two interconnecting balcony rooms (if they're available on this class of ship).  We're a family of 4 with 2 young kids and we've done both room options.  While the mini-suite does afford more space, we like having the second bathroom with the 2 balconies.  Plus when our kids turn in for the night at their early bedtime, we simply leave the interconnecting room door slightly ajar and DH and I are still free to watch movies, etc in our own room rather than sit quiet and in the dark as we did when we were all in the mini-suite. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just priced out (and booked) Alaska 2020 on the Ruby Princess. A mini suite with 4 booked 11 months in advance was $8136 total (with about $500 OBC and premium beverage package - booked during sip & sail promotion through a big box store to which we have a membership). A balcony for 2 was $4584 with about $350 OBC and the beverage package. I'm not sure if there are connecting balcony rooms (didn't look into that), but there are connecting mini suites. Not all mini suites have the upper bunk, but if you search for a room for 4 you will only be shown those that do.  We sailed on the Golden 5 years ago in a mini suite with kids ages 6 and 8 and it was perfect. 🙂

3 hours ago, thegoaliegirl said:

I was just looking at deck plans and the Golden has family suites. You need to call for pricing but it might be a better option, especially if there end up being 4 adults and 2 kids. https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/products/staterooms/family-suite.html

If you want the family suite (which may also come with cool suite perks!) definitely book as soon as you can. There aren't many, and I think they book up super fast.

8 hours ago, newcruisefamily said:

I just priced out (and booked) Alaska 2020 on the Ruby Princess. A mini suite with 4 booked 11 months in advance was $8136 total (with about $500 OBC and premium beverage package - booked during sip & sail promotion through a big box store to which we have a membership). A balcony for 2 was $4584 with about $350 OBC and the beverage package. I'm not sure if there are connecting balcony rooms (didn't look into that), but there are connecting mini suites. Not all mini suites have the upper bunk, but if you search for a room for 4 you will only be shown those that do.  We sailed on the Golden 5 years ago in a mini suite with kids ages 6 and 8 and it was perfect. 🙂

@newcruisefamily - good point as not all of the ships may have interconnecting balcony rooms.  I should have added that we sailed on the Royal Princess and that class definitely has more interconnecting balcony rooms.

That being said, we're due to sail on the Golden in March to Hawaii and given there are no interconnecting balcony rooms we opted to book us 4 in a Window Suite as it was only marginally more than a Mini-suite.  Looking forward to the cool suite perks!

On 7/25/2019 at 5:02 PM, strobellayjam said:

@newcruisefamily - good point as not all of the ships may have interconnecting balcony rooms.  I should have added that we sailed on the Royal Princess and that class definitely has more interconnecting balcony rooms.

That being said, we're due to sail on the Golden in March to Hawaii and given there are no interconnecting balcony rooms we opted to book us 4 in a Window Suite as it was only marginally more than a Mini-suite.  Looking forward to the cool suite perks!

We're sailing in a Vista Suite for our 2020 trip (family sailing in mini suites and balcony), and we are also looking forward to the perks! Our kids are much bigger now (they will be 12 and almost 15), so we figured the extra room would be nice. Suite perks vs a separate room for kids - the suite won out (plus that aft balcony).