what's your favorite Carnival port for departure?

Depends what is close for you.

I like Baltimore because it is only about 3 hours away.  There is only one ship per day that leaves from there, so it's never crowded.  Plenty of inexpensive parking right next to the ship.

I would leave from Philadelphia if they built a port there!  I understand winter weather is a problem.

• Like 1

NYC - It sucks to drive to and parking is ridiculous expensive.

But, I'll never get tired of that Manhattan skyline view from the Lido, passing by Lady Liberty, then beneath the Verrazzano bridge.

Wish Carnival would sail from NY year round...

• Like 1

Another vote for New Orleans.   It is close, easy to get to, and has reasonable parking.   But sailing down the river, on a long summer day allows you to see all the history of the river!!   I can't wait to do it again!!

Galveston is almost as close, but I don't like it at all.  Texas's liquor laws are just crazy, and just make leaving out of there bothersome!

Edited by ULCajunCruiser

We have sailed out of San Juan, Miami, Galveston, Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral.  Port Canaveral is our hands down favorite.  We usually fly in to Orlando the day before and spend the day in Canaveral doing some last minute shopping, watching the ships sail, relaxing by the hotel pool etc.  I guess what we really like is we are comfortable renting a car and driving around there.  We are not big city folks, so driving in Miami not going to happen.  Galveston is too far away and San Juan is too expensive to get to.  Fort Lauderdale is great, but we have had a hard time finding itineraries from there that interest us.

We've sailed from San Juan, Tampa, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, and Canaveral.

San Juan was the least favorite, due to the travel to get there. Probably Miami and Ft. Lauderdale are our favorites, just because it's an quick and easy drive from airport to terminal.

I'd like to try Baltimore sometime, considering we could drive there in a couple of hours.

We've cruised out of Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Port Canaveral, Jacksonville, and New Orleans.

I will add another vote to New Orleans 

Out of the places we've  cruise from New Orleans just so convenient for us.  New Orleans is a great spot to jump start cruise or spend time after the cruise.  The last time we had a latter check in the board the ship and all, we park the car, shuttle to port, drop bags off, and walk the river walk outlet and pregame at Fat Tuesday.  Once we decided to walk back our zone was already inside and about to load, the only lines to wait was the walk to the ship.  

• Like 1

Best - Baltimore when the previous cruise arrives back on time.  Tampa was painless also.

Worst - Baltimore when the previous cruise is late, they won't let you line up for parking and when you get back the time that it should open the traffic is backed up for miles with everyone trying to merge 3 lanes into one.  (wouldn't be so bad if people understood merging but some people are just so much more important than the rest of us)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

Another vote for New Orleans.   It is close, easy to get to, and has reasonable parking.   But sailing down the river, on a long summer day allows you to see all the history of the river!!   I can't wait to do it again!!

Galveston is almost as close, but I don't like it at all.  Texas's liquor laws are just crazy, and just make leaving out of there bothersome!

Unfortunately, I am bragging on Royal Caribbean that does allow alchohol drinking upon boarding in Galveston. Not sure what the difference is with their agreement with Texas' ATF, but RCL passengers can select from a few beers, etc, whereas CCL isn't allowed to serve until in international waters

I like Miami and Ft Lauderdale best because I love looking at skylines, and from FLL, you can also see Miami.  Tampa is great, too, with going under the Sunshine Skyway.  Very much looking forward to sailing from Long Beach.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, coevan said:

I thought you can drink and pay sales tax, just not use Cheers until day 2. 

We don't drink so don't know the exact rules. Yes, CCL's Cheers package cannot be used until later. RCL's Ultimate Drink package allows a select menu upon boarding. Whether they purchase single drink or use Ultimaye, RCL allows purchase. So can cruisers on CCL out of Galveston purchase select alcoholic drinks upon boarding?

Out of Tampa, Galveston, New Orleans, New Orleans wins hands down. The parking garage is adjacent to the pier. Pay, drive forward, pop the trunk, tip the luggage guy, park your car, ride the elevator down, and maybe walk 50 feet and you are showing your paperwork.  We had faster to the fun. Thirty minutes total time and we were eating guys burgers. Easy, peasy.  

San Juan is a favorite port.  I like booking the hotel in Old San Juan for the night before departure of the cruise, then to enjoy Old San Juan for the evening, have a relaxing breakfast near the hotel and then walk over to the port.  

I also like the New York City port.  It is about a 2.5 hour train ride for me to this port.  Embarking and disembarking is an easy process.

• Like 1

Have embarked from Galveston, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando and Miami.   If I had to rank them it would be; Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando and then Galveston.  Galveston is way to disorganized for my liking.  I am biased since this was the only embarkation location where staff did something completely wrong.