Laundry

Colgal

We are looking forward to boarding the Spirit on June 1 and were wondering about laundry- is there a set fee for a bag of laundry or is every piece itemized?

Seabourn allows its guests to stuff a laundry bag with as much as it can hold for $50 but we have not sailed on Silversea in a few years and I am being mindful of my packing-thank you!

Last winter on the Shadow, the (free) self-serve launderettes were constantly in use, and the site of some stress and a few altercations. Right now on the Muse, the (free) launderettes have been used less frequently, and there is much less angst around them. It is interesting how much it can shift from voyage to voyage. In any case, know that there are small self-serve launderettes on nearly every deck on nearly every ship.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Unibok said:

Last winter on the Shadow, the (free) self-serve launderettes were constantly in use, and the site of some stress and a few altercations. Right now on the Muse, the (free) launderettes have been used less frequently, and there is much less angst around them. It is interesting how much it can shift from voyage to voyage. In any case, know that there are small self-serve launderettes on nearly every deck on nearly every ship.

Very good posts and updating.  BUT, now it could be that the Silver Muse has more laundry options available, AND, you are also early on with a ten-day cruise.  Later in the cruise might be different?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 82,950 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

We have some thoughts about the laundry service, stuff washed hot that should not be , et al

I had a very nice shirt mutilated and we now tend to manage our own laundry.

We have it for free next cruise so will try again

8 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Very good posts and updating.  BUT, now it could be that the Silver Muse has more laundry options available, AND, you are also early on with a ten-day cruise.  Later in the cruise might be different?

Good points, Terry. My Shadow voyage may have been an outlier, as the launderettes were in constant use from Day 1 on. Do be aware that while the smaller ships have multiple washers and dryers in each launderette, the Muse launderettes have only one washer and dryer. To balance that out, I believe there is one on every floor. Now on Day 4, the not-yet-free-laundry people are still behaving well (including myself -- haha). 

Sailing in a Medallion suite on the Explorer to the Russian Far East next year. What is the turnaround time for laundry? I assume it is complimentary? 

• - Laundry service throughout the voyage
  • - Wet cleaning and pressing throughout the voyage

It is same day service for Princess suites, and 3-day service for Oceania penthouse suites. Trying to figure out how much to pack.

Thanks.

We're on free status. Pet peeve is that we like our pants creased in front. They like to press a flat front.

We write that info on laundry on the instructions & it still happens. We tell the butler & sometimes that doesn't help. Even told next level up supervisor, still got thru. It's a constant battle if on a long cruise.

I hope it's not just us!

Edited by zqtchas
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, zqtchas said:

We're on free status. Pet peeve is that we like our pants creased in front. They like to press a flat front.

We write that info on laundry on the instructions & it still happens. We tell the butler & sometimes that doesn't help. Even told next level up supervisor, still got thru. It's a constant battle if on a long cruise.

I hope it's not just us!

Have you tried referring to them as trousers, that might work 😎

On our last Spirit trip we had free laundry and dry cleaning. Works great, if Butler gets it before 9am back folded or on hanger late afternoon. They use a wet version of dry cleaning for the environment so check label of garments. Butler will also take care of shoes placed in provided bag.

1 hour ago, Silver Spectre said:

Have you tried referring to them as trousers, that might work 😎

They were referred to as trousers since that is what is on the form & is taken care

of by spouse. It was my ineptitude to refer to them correctly. 

Also if they are bundled separately ie: all cold wash, all one color might help.  

Edited by zqtchas

We have had free laundry for awhile and it has been our experience that its a treat. DH shirts come back on hangers with the perfect amount of starch. He has sent trousers to be pressed, and they were done correctly.  My clothes are pressed and on hangers. And it all comes back before 6 pm if you get your laundry bag out the door before 9. 

I don't send extremely delicate items. I either hand wash them and dry on the line in the head, or I save them to handle at home.

The laundry staff work hard! 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

The laundry staff work hard! 

They do indeed.  They are among the largely invisible crew of whom I think when I gladly make my contribution to the Crew Welfare Fund 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spinnaker2 said:

We have had free laundry for awhile and it has been our experience that its a treat. DH shirts come back on hangers with the perfect amount of starch. He has sent trousers to be pressed, and they were done correctly.  My clothes are pressed and on hangers. And it all comes back before 6 pm if you get your laundry bag out the door before 9. I don't send extremely delicate items. I either hand wash them and dry on the line in the head, or I save them to handle at home.  The laundry staff work hard! 

YES!!  Very nice details and summary from Spins/Candy.  Great follow-up, question and points from Observer and RachelG.  All sounds nice and something for which to look forward to when we sailing on the Silver Muse July 25.  Getting closer to that magic sail-away date. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 45,725 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

1 hour ago, RachelG said:

I want to know what this “wet cleaning” is.  I saw it one the laundry list but was afraid to send anything

Instead of using dry cleaning fluid in the machine they use a water based cleaning solution which isn't polluting . If you Google "wet cleaning" many articles come up.

1 hour ago, hypercafe said:

Instead of using dry cleaning fluid in the machine they use a water based cleaning solution which isn't polluting . If you Google "wet cleaning" many articles come up.

Ok, I looked it up.  I just was worried that it would ruin something that is labeled dry clean only, but it sounds safe for most fabrics.

• 3 weeks later...

We have always had free laundry so not an area I can give personal advice.But I did notice on our Muse cruise,we were on deck 10-solely silver suites so everyone on that deck gets free laundry,that the laundrette appeared not to be in use most of the time.

No law that says you must do your laundry on the deck you are on so maybe on the Spirit check out the laundrettes on decks 11,10,9.

Decks 4,5 also have less suites but would have more that need to do laundry.

And I guess-get there early.

14 hours ago, drron29 said:

We have always had free laundry so not an area I can give personal advice.But I did notice on our Muse cruise,we were on deck 10-solely silver suites so everyone on that deck gets free laundry,that the laundrette appeared not to be in use most of the time.

No law that says you must do your laundry on the deck you are on so maybe on the Spirit check out the laundrettes on decks 11,10,9.

Decks 4,5 also have less suites but would have more that need to do laundry.

And I guess-get there early.

I agree-we had a suite on deck 8 and the launderette was in full use every day so I went up to the 9th deck - no issues. I just set a timer on my phone so that the laundry wouldn’t sit in the washer a minute too long!

• Like 2

Got a question regarding free laundry....

I'd just added up my cruise totals and it appears I reach the 100 on the last day of a 15 night TA. Now I had thought this meant I just bombed out of being able to get a big wash done prior to coming home, but TTS has said free laundry is available from the begining of a cruise the anniversary falls in.

In hope! Anyone know if it's the case? For a 15 nighter, will make a big difference if we're in luck!