Don't Buy Any Peter Max Artwork on Board!

kabloom

13 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

You're confusing the difference between 'free' and 'included'.

Anyone familiar with marketing will tell you that the best way to close a deal is to offer something for 'free'.

Well, I bought this beer for $6.  Then I was told another was included.  Since it was for free I drank that one too.  😎

I actually didn't want to become embroiled in this debate.  I really didn't have a side.   I just thought it was varying perspectives.    So, I'm going to try and exit quietly now.   😀

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 2:54 PM, Icon901 said:

That's a horrible example.

Here's a better example: If I need/intend to purchase four tires and a store offers a deal to buy 3 and get one free, I'm guessing you'd argue that tire wasn't free, right? I was going to spend $1000 but ended up only having to spend $750 to satisfy the need/want. 

If so, we'll call it a agree to disagree.  Cheers! 😉 

However, a week later, they will have a 25% off sale, and you would pay the same $750 without the free tire.

So was it really free?

😄

On 11/22/2019 at 3:14 PM, RocketMan275 said:

Anyone familiar with marketing will tell you that the best way to close a deal is to offer something for 'free'.

Nope, NEVER did that when I sold vehicles.......

Can I sell you a bridge?????

😄

On 11/22/2019 at 3:32 PM, ldubs said:

Well, I bought this beer for $6.  Then I was told another was included.  Since it was for free I drank that one too.  😎

I actually didn't want to become embroiled in this debate.  I really didn't have a side.   I just thought it was varying perspectives.    So, I'm going to try and exit quietly now.   😀

The question is, if it was $3 per beer, how many would have you had?

Bottom line, you paid for both beers, the retailer made a profit on those 2 beers for $6.

Yes, there are OCCASIONALLY true loss leader sales, where something is sold at a loss, to get you into the store, where they will try to sell you other things to make up the price difference.  But those are rare.  Most of them might be near cost, but seldom below cost.

15 minutes ago, SRF said:

The question is, if it was $3 per beer, how many would have you had?

Bottom line, you paid for both beers, the retailer made a profit on those 2 beers for $6.

Yes, there are OCCASIONALLY true loss leader sales, where something is sold at a loss, to get you into the store, where they will try to sell you other things to make up the price difference.  But those are rare.  Most of them might be near cost, but seldom below cost.

Don't know because in my example a beer is $6.   But anyway, "free", or if you like "no additional cost", to me and profit to the establishment are not mutually exclusive.   No argument that retailers make money on sale offers.   

A well known coffee place has a happy hour special where if you buy one coffee you get another for free.  They don't increase the price of the first coffee during that time.   I would call that second cup free.  You would call it half off for two coffees.   It is all good.    

Edited by ldubs

21 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

What ???? You have to pay then so you help them get rid of their unsold stuff??

Back in the Dark Ages, we worked the day before Thanksgiving so we would have our dinner with the girls on the Friday or Saturday (can't remember now) and then decorate the tree.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, clo said:

Back in the Dark Ages, we worked the day before Thanksgiving so we would have our dinner with the girls on the Friday or Saturday (can't remember now) and then decorate the tree.

Back in the REAL dark ages the tree appeared after the children went to bed on Dec. 24 - it was a looooong night - cut short in the early morning by squeals of delighted short people.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Back in the REAL dark ages the tree appeared after the children went to bed on Dec. 24 - it was a looooong night - cut short in the early morning by squeals of delighted short people.

I've remembered that that was a British way of doing that. But I could be totally wrong 🙂 We had an artificial tree for many years but it was too big for the Reno living room (long but narrower) so we brought this in from the front yard. This is actually my Valentine's tree which was after the Christmas one. And I now have decorations for Easter 🙂

vday tree.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, clo said:

This is actually my Valentine's tree which was after the Christmas one. And I now have decorations for Easter 🙂

vday tree.jpg

A Valentine’s tree?  Wow!   I’m satisfied with one per year - but I can see the trend coming: Labor Day trees,  Thanksgiving trees, Election Day day trees, why not Thursday trees?

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

A Valentine’s tree?  Wow!   I’m satisfied with one per year - but I can see the trend coming: Labor Day trees,  Thanksgiving trees, Election Day day trees, why not Thursday trees?

I'll probably stop with Easter 🙂 The view out that window is quite nice most of the year. I understand that tree was a hit with some of the nabes.

On 5/28/2019 at 7:47 AM, lifes-a-beach said:

-You should change the title to “Don’t buy any artwork onboard”.  Then start another one titled “Don’t buy any jewelry onboard”.  Then a third “Don’t buy any watches onboard”.  Then you can branch out and say “Don’t buy any [whatever] at [whatever port].  Somebody’s going to say you’re wrong, and somebody’s going to say they got some item they love, and bla bla bla.  People do what people do.  They’re careful and they’re careless, they’re smart and they’re stupid, they’re victims and they’re volunteers.  

For a cute inexpensive memory of the trip I picked up the little charm bracelet in the ship gift shop with 5 charms included for 10 dollars. The idea of course is to get you to buy the additional charms at a marked up price, but for a nice little gift for a niece or grandchild this is not a bad deal. We were on RCL and they had an area in the mid ship that had shops and vendors. I found the vendors prices for hats, t-shirts, tote bags, costume jewelry and swim cover ups to be comparable to inexpensive shops on land. We went back to back on RCL then Norwegian and I didn't pick up anything on the first cruise expecting similar situation on NCL but it wasn't on NCL.  So for those ladies looking for a swim cover-up in off-season RCL has you "covered", pun intended 🙂

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Boy-oh-boy I have to agree.  A pumpkin anything isn't good to me.  

Actually, a pumpkin pie can be put to good use.  Covered with whipped cream, they're perfect for a pie fight.

I don't get the 'mystique' of pumpkin.  Why anyone would want to drink a beer that tastes like pumpkin is beyond me.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Haha 1