Mini Bus or Taxi for Gibbs Lighthouse/Horseshoe Beach

pacruise804

My family of 4 will arrive next Monday and Tuesday.  We are doing a helmet dive when we first arrive Monday morning (meet within walking distance of the port) and would also like to visit Gibbs Lighthouse and Horseshoe Beach.  What is the best approach for getting to these two stops?  I was thinking a taxi to the lighthouse and probably a mini-bus back from the beach, but wasn't quite sure on how to get from the lighthouse to the beach.  We aren't very familiar with taxis, so I wasn't sure if the same taxi would wait (or how long we should allow for the lighthouse) or how easy it would be to get another taxi if they didn't wait.

With 4 of us, it seems like taxi isn't much more than mini-bus (unless I am misreading something).  Also, what is the standard gratuity for a taxi? 

Thanks for your help 🙂 

You can take a taxi to the Lighthouse and a taxi from the Lighthouse to Horseshoe and then the minibus back. It does not take long to climb so you could ask the driver to wait but I don't know how much that would cost. You could ask him and decide if it is worth it.  When I was there taxis would come and drop off so you might be able to snag one of those if one came when you were ready to leave.  There is a gift shop at the lighthouse and I am sure they would call a taxi for you if need be. 

Thank you, we will try to catch a taxi or have the gift shop call if there aren't any when we are ready to leave.  I tried checking the bus schedule and couldn't find a clear stop for the lighthouse, so your reply was very helpful 🙂 

5 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Thank you, we will try to catch a taxi or have the gift shop call if there aren't any when we are ready to leave.  I tried checking the bus schedule and couldn't find a clear stop for the lighthouse, so your reply was very helpful 🙂 

There's definitely a bus stop there. Bus schedules don't list every stop on their routes, just a few key ones. But, it just so happens the latest version of the schedule does list the running time to "Lighthouse" as one of the stops on the #7 between Hamilton and Dockyard. https://www.gov.bm/sites/default/files/Bus-Schedule-May-2019.pdf

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

The bus stops are on the South Road at the intersection of Lighthouse Road and South Road. The lighthouse is on Lighthouse Road so you have to walk a moderate, not long,  distance to the bus stops. I consider the distance walkable.  I have done it. Henry VIII,  a well known and very visible restaurant is on the corner where the bus stops. Since you have a family of four I would take a taxi unless for some reason there is a problem getting one.

• Thanks 1

Thanks again.  I did find some bus information yesterday on the lighthouse website too, so it's good to have a back-up if we can't easily get a taxi.  We would be fine walking a distance, but most reports I read stated Bermuda was not pedestrian friendly for the most part.