Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
InsGuy3

OBC granted by a Travel Agent

Is it Normal for onboard credit to be posted to your ship board account, as negotiated by a travel agent, only a week before your cruise. We cruise in November and have already made our final payment at this point. Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Edited by InsGuy3

I'm not sure I get your question. The OBC will appear on your folio on day one of your cruise. Since nothing that you might reserve on the PCPC is charged before you board the ship, the OBC will be there to cover as much as the total allows.

Patty

Patty is correct you will receive a card in your stateroom that you have the OBC from your TA and as Patty stated it will appear on your folio.  You can always go to the front desk to check your folio anytime.Enjoy!

Patty is correct although sometimes it doesn't show up until day 2.  

If you want to avoid the font desk you can check your folio on line once on board the ship.

You can easily see it using the same login that you will use to access the internet.  There is a menu of items from daily programs to menus and one of the items is the folio.

I really like it because I can keep an eye on the shipboard account without having to check with the reception desk.

Keith

Thank you, all. I was more worried about being promised something by my TA that I cannot verify until the last minute. 

28 minutes ago, InsGuy3 said:

Thank you, all. I was more worried about being promised something by my TA that I cannot verify until the last minute. 

I've had a situation once when part of my OBC was not posted. The front desk sent an email to whomever is in charge of the OBC at corporate, they researched it and the correct amount was posted to my account in about 3 days.

Patty

Always have paper copy proof of OBC, if you can. I always carry copies of proof and there were times a certain OBC was not on the folio. 

I would go go down to the front desk, show a copy of proof from my TA, they make a copy, and before I know it, OBC appears on my folio, usually within a day or two.

Kate

4 hours ago, InsGuy3 said:

Is it Normal for onboard credit to be posted to your ship board account, as negotiated by a travel agent, only a week before your cruise

You don’t have any accessible Ship Board Account until you board the ship - so whether it’s 1 week or 1 month in advance you’ll know. If upon checking when you board and you find an issue then contact the front desk and/or your TA and have them sort it out 

Is this safe to assume that this TA is giving the OP a gift as opposed to my recent situation where my TA belongs to a large group and they had $200 OBC as part of being a part of that group. So the TA probably won't apply the OBC until closer to the cruise date.

Not fully sure how Crystal operates so this is more of a question.

Edited by Coral

Thank you. I’m not sure how crystal operates either. In the past, I’ve seen my OBC posted to my account months in advance when it’s been granted by the cruise line. Our first time with a TA as well as Crystal so we are in virgin territory.

5 hours ago, Coral said:

Is this safe to assume that this TA is giving the OP a gift as opposed to my recent situation where my TA belongs to a large group and they had $200 OBC as part of being a part of that group. So the TA probably won't apply the OBC until closer to the cruise date.

Not fully sure how Crystal operates so this is more of a question.

Stickman has this right.  None of us has visibility to this and in the end it really does not matter as we don't see it until we are on board.

This is reminding me that our TA has the assistant verify prior to the sending of the final documents to us that the on board credits are all in place.  So for anyone worried they can just ask their TA to confirm this ahead of time with Crystal and then let them know.

OBC's do come from a range of sources.  The reality is that some are OBC's from Crystal to the TA and they are given to you on behalf of the TA.  Some are directly from the TA and some from a credit card or from a consortium or from a TA's office.  

It all works the same though.  It shows up on your account (on the account it does not say who it is from but OBC) and you get cards in envelopes which do say who it is from and you also will sign another set of cards acknowledging  receipt of them either on the first day or very early on inn the criuse.

Keith

Reading all the above on OBC  , it seems TA in the US- and also in UK - are far more generous as in contintental Europe ...

Sending something as OBC to a client is not so customary  - doing several cruises a year i do receive items like "real" champagne, upgrades on/or drink packages or private transfers .

As I have already mentioned, you will receive a card or cards for any OBC credits in your room on embarkation day.  This can be from your TA a gift from a friend such as flowers, candy, additional OBC etc.  you certainly will know and cross check it with your folio.  We have never had a problem.  Hotels have been doing this for years where you can instantly check your folio and check out without going to the front desk.

I just wanted to elaborate on something Keith and MalbecWine said...  You do have to sign for the cards (or at least I've always had to -- it may just be because I'm considered a shifty individual compared with the other fine passengers.  :classic_blush:)  I'm seldom in my room the first day and I put on the DND light when I crash the first night, so in my case the cards are often presented the second day.  Don't panic if you don't get them on embarkation day, the stewardesses sometimes don't have them yet when they make their introductions.  Just ask your stewardess if you see her the next morning and as Keith said she can present them to you then.

Vince