No afternoon excursions!

We are on the 1/21-2/11/20 Auckland to Bali cruise on the Voyager. We were notified a few weeks ago that the stop at Newcastle was cancelled but that we were getting two days in Sydney. Sounded good to me. We arrive in Sydney at 11am on 1/29 and depart at 8pm on 1/30. Much to my surprise, when I went online to book the excursions there was nothing listed on 1/29/20. Figuring that there was a mistake I contacted Regent this morning and was told that their tour operators only schedule excursions in the morning. It seems pretty lame to me that we lose a cruise stop and have most of a day in Sydney with no excursions. Anyone else run into this problem in Australia?

This is somewhat surprising, and not our experience in years past.  In any event, if the ship docks at the Pier which is almost under the Bridge, it is a delightful 10-minute walk to the Opera House.  Our time(s) there have been aboard Voyager.  There was a morning tour offered to do the Bridge walk; another to the Opera House. 

On both occasions, weather conditions were horrendous as to wind and rain, so we canceled the Bridge walk.  Turned-out, that tour was canceled, anyway out of safety concerns. 

There are general tours at the Opera House, for a nominal amount.  Last time, lucked-out.  The Sydney Orchestra was practicing for a performance of a Brahms' 2nd Symphony.  So, our group sat, quietly, in an upper balcony, for about 10 minutes--just listening--before moving on.   

GOARMY!

For Regent to say their tour operators only schedule excursions in the morning is not correct. We are on a cruise in June with afternoon tours scheduled. What I expect to happen is that Regent will either come up with additional tours either before the cruise (which means you need to continuously check the website) or something will be offered once you board. On the other hand, I could be way off base on this (I’m not that smart). 

Z and TB

9 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

On the other hand, there's just SOOOOOOO much to do in Sydney that you might enjoy just doing stuff by yourself! I spent a week there and really didn't scratch the surface. 

Agree with you.  And, supposedly, passengers on Regent are very well traveled which, at least to me, means that they don't need to take a Regent excursion in the afternoon (even though they likely will be offered ....... plus many morning excursions take the full day).  

If we did not "do our own thing" in many ports, we would have missed so much of the local life.  I guess that I can't wrap my head around anyone enjoying being on a bus for hours - with people that hog seats (sitting in disabled people seats when they are clearly not disabled) and staying in places for too long (or too short).

Rather than being upset, do some research for what you can do on your own.  JMHO.

12 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

On the other hand, there's just SOOOOOOO much to do in Sydney that you might enjoy just doing stuff by yourself! I spent a week there and really didn't scratch the surface. 

I agree, and actually in some cities we forego Regent excursions to do our own thing. But to me,  that's not the point here. Regent advertises that excursions are included in the fare, and for them to state that in a major port they'll arrive at 11 am and not offer any excursions that afternoon, does not seem right. One thing is for pax to elect not to take excursions, another thing is for Regent  to say we wont offer any.  

Edited by cruiseluv
  • Like 4

Good point!  After thinking about it, I would call Regent again and speak with a supervisor if necessary.  While it would be extremely unusual to not offer afternoon excursions, there is a possibility that this is the case in Sydney (could be new tour operators or ???).  

At this stage, I think that double checking with Regent is a good idea (or have your TA check with Regent - they likely have a contact person at Regent and do not have to speak with a Customer Service Rep.)

Edited by Travelcat2

We have found we book most of our own tours through Viator.com  they have all kinds of tours in Sydney and all over the world, we have NEVER had any problems with them, always showed up on time and are very knowledgable guides.

We took a private tour with them in Tokyo this April (during Golden Week) the car and driver/guide was fantastic.

Viator doesn't actually do the tours, they are just consolidators, I believe.  But it's a good place to start.  I love private tours, but when Regent includes excursions, it's pretty tough to get your head around doing private everywhere.  And if Regent promises excursions and then doesn't provide them, there is something amiss.

On 5/29/2019 at 8:33 PM, Travelcat2 said:

Agree with you.  And, supposedly, passengers on Regent are very well traveled which, at least to me, means that they don't need to take a Regent excursion in the afternoon (even though they likely will be offered ....... plus many morning excursions take the full day).  

If we did not "do our own thing" in many ports, we would have missed so much of the local life.  I guess that I can't wrap my head around anyone enjoying being on a bus for hours - with people that hog seats (sitting in disabled people seats when they are clearly not disabled) and staying in places for too long (or too short).

Rather than being upset, do some research for what you can do on your own.  JMHO.

I have been away for a few days and didn't have a secure internet connection to respond to this. I appreciate all the constructive comments to my post however this one, I feel, was insensitive and rude. A big part of the appeal of a Regent cruise is,for us, it's the all inclusive nature (which includes excursions). And why do I need to do a lot of research for an all inclusive vacation. We mostly like to take the included excursions or, at least, would like the option to take them. I didn't say that I "enjoyed being on a bus for hours", who would? Nor do we rush to board a bus first or take seats designated for disabled people. I know you are a Regent cruise "expert" and have seen most of the ports numerous times so maybe "doing your own thing" works for you. Not so much for us. And that is JMHO!

• Like 2

And what I posted was my opinion and there is really no way to argue with an opinion other than to post your own (which you did and Iwould certainly not criticize your opinion - even if it differs from mine).  

Edited by Travelcat2

On 5/29/2019 at 11:57 PM, cruiseluv said:

I agree, and actually in some cities we forego Regent excursions to do our own thing. But to me,  that's not the point here. Regent advertises that excursions are included in the fare, and for them to state that in a major port they'll arrive at 11 am and not offer any excursions that afternoon, does not seem right. One thing is for pax to elect not to take excursions, another thing is for Regent  to say we wont offer any.  

Per above .... Totally Agree!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paul Bradley said:

I meant no disrespect to you, I was just offering an alternative if you were so inclined. That you are not is your prerogative. ☺️

You were not disrespectful at all - I was agreeing with you and then, somehow I ended up making a statement to you that I meant to make to the Thread Starter.  Sorry:classic_blush: