How to get from cruise port to Dublin center Please help!!

I am concerned about one full day excursion we booked in Dublin. They will not pick up at port. We must meet them very early at 7:45 a.m. at the "Molly Malone statue outside the Old Stone Church on Suffolk Street" At the time I booked it, I had no idea that it was a commercial port and cabs aren't accessible at the ship. My husband has some difficulty walking distances. The company explained it's possible to take buses but would involve changing buses twice and still doing a great deal of walking.  Has anyone been to the Dublin port on this board and could you tell me how to get to this location in a timely manner ... or will it be impossible to meet a tour this early trying to arrange transportation.  Would so appreciate any help with our concerns.

We were in Dublin about 2 weeks ago.  They did allow taxies to pick up at the ship.  The ship also provided (for a fee) a shuttle into the city center,  but that would require a few blocks walk to get to the Mary Malone statue.  Just make sure you will be allowed to get off the ship early enough to make your tour time. 

We are staying overnight on the ship in Dublin. Do the ship shuttle buses run all night? We are looking at taking the shuttle bus into the city when the ship arrives at 11 a.m. then coming back to the ship for dinner and then after dinner going back into the City and spending the evening going to the various pubs in Temple Bar. What time does the last shuttle bus run back to the ship in the evening?

On 6/4/2019 at 9:08 PM, ducklite said:

Uber is your friend in Dublin.

Maybe, but you will still get a regular taxi as unlicenced drivers/vehicles are not permitted.  Your Uber app will just call you a regular taxi.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VMax1700 said:

Maybe, but you will still get a regular taxi as unlicenced drivers/vehicles are not permitted.  Your Uber app will just call you a regular taxi.

However when there is a line of people waiting for a taxi and your Uber shows up, you leave in it instead of waiting.  Works wonders outside of Connolly in an Irish monsoon.  😉

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, mahi mahi said:

Celebrity contracted the shuttle to a local company and we paid them at the bus.  I believe it was either 13 euros or $15US each.

Thx.  Return or one way?

44 minutes ago, mrgoalie said:

We are boarding in Dublin leaving city centre. What is the best way to get there....taxi? Uber? bus?

Taxi or Uber.  The bus stop is still quite a walk, unless you travel light without much luggage and like to walk.  

Taxi and Uber are the same thing, the difference is that you can summon an Uber on demand on your phone (free WiFI is everywhere in Dublin!) and not have to worry about waiting for a taxi to come by.  If it's raining, definitely go the Uber route, because the cabs will sometimes pass you by if they see you have luggage so they don't have to get out.

People use mytaxi (now known as FreeNow) in Dublin rather than Uber. As previously said, you will just get a normal taxi. In my experience they are always more expensive than a taxi I just hail on the street, but I suppose you are paying for them coming directly to you.

Get the FreeNow app before you come.

Edited by newgrange

On 6/6/2019 at 5:44 PM, VMax1700 said:

Not exactly true. For a taxi yes but it is a bit more convenient because you pay with the credit card in the app. 

But you can also book Uber Black which will be more expensive but is primarily Mercedes E and S Class from our experience and the same thing as the Uber Black experience in the US.