Bermuda Carnival/Natl Heroes Day closures

zooma

One of our two Bermuda port days on our upcoming cruise is a public holiday -- National Heroes Day -- and the final day of the 5-day-long Bermuda Carnival. I understand there will be a parade in Hamilton that day. Does anyone know how big that might be and whether that means there will be street closures in town such that taxis and buses will not be able to get through? (I get that buses and ferries may be on the more limited holiday/weekend schedule.) And will most of the restaurants really be closed as well?

7 hours ago, zooma said:

One of our two Bermuda port days on our upcoming cruise is a public holiday -- National Heroes Day -- and the final day of the 5-day-long Bermuda Carnival. I understand there will be a parade in Hamilton that day. Does anyone know how big that might be and whether that means there will be street closures in town such that taxis and buses will not be able to get through? (I get that buses and ferries may be on the more limited holiday/weekend schedule.) And will most of the restaurants really be closed as well?

Based on the information in this just-published article, it's safe to assume there will be significant street closures and traffic disruptions in Hamilton :

http://bernews.com/2019/05/rebrand-parade-route-revealed/ 

Expect any open restaurants to be jam-packed. 

Public buses will be on a holiday schedule. The ferries usually run on their regular schedule but they don’t announce if that is the case until a few days before the holiday. You should be able to get to Hamilton to see the parade if you want to but expect a crowded town and locals will have reserved the best spots. In Hamilton  restaurants will be open but expect them to be crowded. A few shops in Hamilton open. On the island the beaches will be open and attractions will be open. The Dockyard will be open. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Based on the information in this just-published article, it's safe to assume there will be significant street closures and traffic disruptions in Hamilton :

http://bernews.com/2019/05/rebrand-parade-route-revealed/ 

59 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Public buses will be on a holiday schedule. The ferries usually run on their regular schedule but they don’t announce if that is the case until a few days before the holiday. You should be able to get to Hamilton to see the parade if you want to but expect a crowded town and locals will have reserved the best spots.

Thank you both for the replies -- very helpful. The parade article mentions "laps" all day long, from 10am to 8pm -- I know Carnival is a newish event, but any idea if they'll have that route blocked off the whole time? Or will taxis be able to find their way into the center of Hamilton (e.g., if we have a lunch reservation). One person in our party cannot walk for long distances, so we would need rides to/from restaurant and ferry.

And actually, if boarding the ferry back to the Dockyard, how far in advance is it wise to arrive? Say you'd like to get onto a 2pm ferry. (Again, not talking about for a speed-walker.) TIA

48 minutes ago, zooma said:

Thank you both for the replies -- very helpful. The parade article mentions "laps" all day long, from 10am to 8pm -- I know Carnival is a newish event, but any idea if they'll have that route blocked off the whole time? Or will taxis be able to find their way into the center of Hamilton (e.g., if we have a lunch reservation). One person in our party cannot walk for long distances, so we would need rides to/from restaurant and ferry.

And actually, if boarding the ferry back to the Dockyard, how far in advance is it wise to arrive? Say you'd like to get onto a 2pm ferry. (Again, not talking about for a speed-walker.) TIA

I just played the video of the laps and I don’t think  taxis will be able to operate  in the center of Hamilton. In any case people don’t normally take taxis from the ferry terminal to restaurants. Many are on Front Street or just off of it. Really not a long walk to most of them. The ferry terminal is on Front Street and the main restaurants you would want to go to are a short distance from the ferry terminal. Also Front Street is one way so any taxi to Front Street location would have to loop around away and come back. Other streets are one way.  So I don’t see taxis operating in the center that day. What restaurant were you planning or thinking of to making a reservation at? 

I usually get to the ferry about 15 minutes before. But I never been at 2 and it might depend on what ships are in port. 

Edited by Charles4515

Thank you @Charles4515. No set plans yet, because we're wondering exactly what locals places will be open, but one possibility (that we know will be open) would be one of the spots at the Hamilton Princess. (Good to know the main strip is that close to the ferry terminal -- that walk looks doable.) We have a tour scheduled for the first half of the day and were thinking of ending in Hamilton but might revise depending on traffic conditions at the time.