Celebrity Price Drop

Kalasi

Cruise lines will do what it takes to sail with a full ship. They don't make money on empty cabins. If there are lots of cabins available after final payment, they will drop the prices to sell them. This is why I don't look at the prices after final payment. 

If you find a price drop before final payment, Celebrity will reprice your cruise. After final payment, they won't. If you do find a better cabin for a slightly higher price, they might upgrade you. Just make sure you will retain all your perks if you move. I think it was very nice of them to give you a dinner a specialty restaurant.

• Like 3

The rules in the UK are different from USA and other countries. Here in Mexico we can only reprice or ask for upgrades before final payment, after final payment we can't do anything in case of a price drop. Same as you are talking happen to us in the Eclipse 03/18/18 after final payment the Concierges was less $$$ than the Veranda 2C I booked, Celebrity refuse to us a upgrade when X upgraded Americans and Canadians, the laws of our countries do not protect the consumers as the American law.

Edited by gerelmx

We booked after final payment for upcoming cruise in June - seemed like a good price at the time. It is considerably less than what was showing on Celebrity’s website later. So we’re happy.

Have another cruise booked for next June on the Edge - thinking about waiting till after final payment. Only problem is we have a SV booked and don’t want an IV. Any other ship wouldn’t be a problem for me.

This is why I use a TA....they can work magic sometimes and leaves you hassle free.  Our TA saved us $1700 when our cruise went down!!  Kept our 3 perks and extra OBC from the TA.  So worth it🥂😎🌴🍹🐬

• Like 1

I am also sailing in a few weeks (Mediterranean). I booked this cruise well over a year ago, soon after the sailing was released. I always book early as it usually gives me the best price. I booked a 2B with a beverage package. Prices dropped significantly about two weeks ago to the point my 2B stateroom was costing $800 less per person ($1600 total) with two perks instead of one. I called my TA and because the Aqua Class staterooms were being offered for less than what I paid for our 2B, Celebrity upgraded me to an Aqua guarantee. I also kept the beverage package. While I always prefer to save money, I'm very excited to try Aqua class and the perks that come with it. So yes, they will not refund money, but if the price drop is significant enough, they might upgrade you. It's always worth it to at least ask. Regardless, I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kalasi said:

I was reading that Royal Caribbean, Costa, and Princess all would give OBC in my situation...maybe this was outdated information?

I'll ask about the upgrade, thank you for that.

Costa do NOT give any sort of refund, OBC or some other reward if the price drops after final payment.

3 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

I don’t know where the OP saw that information, but Royal Caribbean never has for us, nor has Costa.

@WestLakeGirl it was on a Youtube videos-  those "things you need to know about cruising" feature. It sounds like their information may not be accurate.

7 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

Costa do NOT give any sort of refund, OBC or some other reward if the price drops after final payment.

@G.M.T. It was on a Youtube video...I was just going off what they said! I maybe shouldn't have believed them!

8 hours ago, KJMommy04 said:

I am also sailing in a few weeks (Mediterranean). I booked this cruise well over a year ago, soon after the sailing was released. I always book early as it usually gives me the best price. I booked a 2B with a beverage package. Prices dropped significantly about two weeks ago to the point my 2B stateroom was costing $800 less per person ($1600 total) with two perks instead of one. I called my TA and because the Aqua Class staterooms were being offered for less than what I paid for our 2B, Celebrity upgraded me to an Aqua guarantee. I also kept the beverage package. While I always prefer to save money, I'm very excited to try Aqua class and the perks that come with it. So yes, they will not refund money, but if the price drop is significant enough, they might upgrade you. It's always worth it to at least ask. Regardless, I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Thank you, I will try that

So on Celebrity , if you put a deposit on a room and you see better deals later, if you book a different room and get a reduced rate or added perks, what happens to your deposit?

Of course this is assuming before you make final payment

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth

Maybe because we are a group, we had better luck.   Before final payment I got two perks.  Then got a $65 reduction per person. Then after final payment the price went down and was offered an upgrade. Started with oceanview room, two perks, classic beverage and grats, $350 obc. Now-  concierge (c3) all four perks and premium beverage. Pretty sure the celebrity group sales agent is sick of my emails by now. 

1 hour ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

So on Celebrity , if you put a deposit on a room and you see better deals later, if you book a different room and get a reduced rate or added perks, what happens to your deposit?

Of course this is assuming before you make final payment

Assuming you remain on that sailing nothing should happen to your deposit if before final payment. However, if you originally booked with a reduced deposit you may need to pay the difference to whatever the prevailing deposit rate is.

We recently noticed a fairly large drop on our June Alaska booking and yes, after final payment.  Celebrity does not refund at that point but they did upgrade us to a A1 Aquaclass cabin from a A2 and increased our perk package from 2 to 4.   It made us feel better.  

On our last cruise the people sitting next to us in Luminae, the Suite restaurant were lamenting how damn expensive this cruise was, they had apparently paid $6500 per person.  We just smiled and changed the conversation....we had booked after final payment for $2799 each....same cabins two doors down.....AFTER final payment.  FYI.  

We are also changing our tactic and beginning to look after final payment......Many people make several refundable deposits and then cancel indiscriminately.   We are learning how to book using miles so if we cancel, the air tickets are refundable for $200 to re deposit mileage.....IF the cruise we have our eyes on does not become available......  Live and learn.

• Like 2

We had a similar situation just yesterday, but it would seem like we’ve come out of it a lot better off. We’re sailing on Eclipse in Alaska in August. We’re nearly 2 weeks to final payment. We booked this a year ago while on board Solstice in Hawaii and got an A1 Aqua cabin with free drinks and $300 OBC. There was also an onboard incentive of additional instant OBC of $150 that we took on Solstice which more than covered the £89 deposit we had to put down. This sort of deal seems a no brainer to me, even if we didn’t end up going! When you get home you can transfer these onboard bookings to a TA but we keep it with X.

Anyway, yesterday I noticed that the price of our cruise had dropped significantly.  In fact, I couldn’t believe the number of cabins available in all classes and no doubt a result of those making multi reservations bailing out before final payment. I contacted my “Personal Cruise Concierge” (yes, really!) at X UK and suggested cancelling and rebooking and although We’d lose our £89 deposit and $300 OBC it would still work out some £700 cheaper. Well, she said don’t do that I’ll see what I can do and speak with my manager. Within an hour she came back changing our current booking for the existing A1 cabin at yesterday’s online price for an A2 cabin (our CC perk) with free drinks and free gratuities, while retaining our $300 OBC! The bottom line being the balance that we owe in 2 weeks time is now an impressive  £1,150 less than it was yesterday morning!! Oh, and when our new Guest Invoice came through it was showing an additional $300 OBC, now making a total of being £1,380 better off. We like our “Personal Cruise Concierge”!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Newbury newbie said:

We had a similar situation just yesterday, but it would seem like we’ve come out of it a lot better off. We’re sailing on Eclipse in Alaska in August. We’re nearly 2 weeks to final payment. We booked this a year ago while on board Solstice in Hawaii and got an A1 Aqua cabin with free drinks and $300 OBC. There was also an onboard incentive of additional instant OBC of $150 that we took on Solstice which more than covered the £89 deposit we had to put down. This sort of deal seems a no brainer to me, even if we didn’t end up going! When you get home you can transfer these onboard bookings to a TA but we keep it with X.

Anyway, yesterday I noticed that the price of our cruise had dropped significantly.  In fact, I couldn’t believe the number of cabins available in all classes and no doubt a result of those making multi reservations bailing out before final payment. I contacted my “Personal Cruise Concierge” (yes, really!) at X UK and suggested cancelling and rebooking and although We’d lose our £89 deposit and $300 OBC it would still work out some £700 cheaper. Well, she said don’t do that I’ll see what I can do and speak with my manager. Within an hour she came back changing our current booking for the existing A1 cabin at yesterday’s online price for an A2 cabin (our CC perk) with free drinks and free gratuities, while retaining our $300 OBC! The bottom line being the balance that we owe in 2 weeks time is now an impressive  £1,150 less than it was yesterday morning!! Oh, and when our new Guest Invoice came through it was showing an additional $300 OBC, now making a total of being £1,380 better off. We like our “Personal Cruise Concierge”!!!!

You were very lucky indeed as this is not the norm in the U.K. You would have got around the issue anyway as it’s an onboard booking and you could have moved the booking to a future sailing without losing your deposit, and then rebooked your current Alaska sailing at the reduced fare (perhaps that had some bearing on their decision?). 

The prices are subject to fluctuations.  if the price goes up, should you pay more?  As one person, if you buy a winter coat after the season, you will pay less.  perhaps you have a very limited choice.

today Celebritymoveup program discounts some expensive cabins.  You might save a significant amount of money, but the locations aren’t necessarily the best.  Also if they are available and you might loose perks.  enjoy your cruise 

Edited by Cruise a holic

8 hours ago, cruiseerf said:

On our last cruise the people sitting next to us in Luminae, the Suite restaurant were lamenting how damn expensive this cruise was, they had apparently paid $6500 per person.  We just smiled and changed the conversation....we had booked after final payment for $2799 each....same cabins two doors down.....AFTER final payment.  FYI.  

We are also changing our tactic and beginning to look after final payment......Many people make several refundable deposits and then cancel indiscriminately.   We are learning how to book using miles so if we cancel, the air tickets are refundable for $200 to re deposit mileage.....IF the cruise we have our eyes on does not become available......  Live and learn.

This is how I am going to book my next cruise. Only issue is that I don't have sky miles so I can't book a month out because the airfare will be outrageous.

7 minutes ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

This is how I am going to book my next cruise. Only issue is that I don't have sky miles so I can't book a month out because the airfare will be outrageous.

since we have a specific time we can be away, I would suggest booking air as early as you can, and book cheaper accommodations   A decent location and your choice of stateroom.  If and when the price drops, upgrade if you can

If however, you are flexible about date of cruise , wait for a cheaper period.  We book very early and as the price, if it does, gets lower upgrade

• Thanks 1