Post-Cruise Activity - Galveston/Houston (IAH)

lab_love123

Hello! Does anyone have recommendations for a post-cruise activity in Houston after debarking in Galveston? Early November. My flight home departs IAH at 3:15pm, so I'll have some time to kill that I'd rather not spend at the airport. Is there anything within a reasonable proximity to the airport worth seeing? I've never been to Houston before; is the downtown area feasible? I was thinking I'd self-debark as early as I could, get to IAH to store my bag then venture off for a little. I know I'd only have a couple of hours. I don't particularly want to book a formal tour or anything in case there are delays in debarking, traffic (more than usual), etc. 

Thanks!

There is NOTHING to do any where near IAH. As with many airports, they aren't in "good" neighborhoods. The airport is over 20 miles north of the downtown area. I understand there is a bus that goes from the airport to downtown, but don't know anything about it.

Galveston is a coastal top tourist  destination with many things to do . See other threads on this forum with much information . Find what you may like and do it . 

Right at port are Old Town Strand , Museums , Elissa TallShip , Pier 21 , La King’s Confectioners , Tours . 

See Rail Road Museum , Oil Rig Energy Museum , Galveston Naval Museum , Bryan Museum , Moody Mansion , Bishops Palace  . 

Edited by ssb

38 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

There is NOTHING to do any where near IAH. As with many airports, they aren't in "good" neighborhoods. The airport is over 20 miles north of the downtown area. I understand there is a bus that goes from the airport to downtown, but don't know anything about it.

I don't mind having to travel a little away from the airport - I realize there's nothing right there. I don't mind going downtown if it's feasible to get there and back without wasting too much time. I'll check out the bus; I'm not opposed to Uber or Lyft either.

19 minutes ago, ssb said:

Galveston is a coastal top tourist  destination with many things to do . See other threads on this forum with much information . Find what you may like and do it . 

Right at port are Old Town Strand , Museums , Elissa TallShip , Pier 21 , La King’s Confectioners , Tours . 

See Rail Road Museum , Oil Rig Energy Museum , Galveston Naval Museum , Bryan Museum , Moody Mansion , Bishops Palace  . 

I have looked at plenty of other threads on this forum. I was not looking to spend my limited time in Galveston - I'll only have a few hours and am traveling to the airport solo, so I want to take advantage of shared shuttles with other debarking cruisers to make transportation more affordable. I was hoping to find some recommendations for Houston itself.

1 hour ago, lab_love123 said:

I don't mind having to travel a little away from the airport - I realize there's nothing right there. I don't mind going downtown if it's feasible to get there and back without wasting too much time. I'll check out the bus; I'm not opposed to Uber or Lyft either.

I have looked at plenty of other threads on this forum. I was not looking to spend my limited time in Galveston - I'll only have a few hours and am traveling to the airport solo, so I want to take advantage of shared shuttles with other debarking cruisers to make transportation more affordable. I was hoping to find some recommendations for Houston itself.

Shared shuttles and shared Houston destinations is a difficult one . Maybe a Nasa tour on way to airport . Look on Roll call and FB group specific cruise of yours ,  and try finding cruisers with common goals. Good luck!  

You missing a lot in Galveston , a wonderful playground of the south !  

Edited by ssb

1 hour ago, ssb said:

You missing a lot in Galveston , a wonderful playground of the south !

I'm coming to realize that! I wish I had a couple of days post-cruise to check it out. Unfortunately, work commitments require me home sooner 😞 Hopefully I'll get there again and have more time!

There's really not much to see anywhere near IAH. In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to stow your bags and then go 20+ miles back in your original direction to do things downtown but of course it's up to you. Also, the traditional "downtown" area is mostly office buildings with little activity on the weekends. There are a handful of parks and points of interest but not a lot. St. Arnold Brewery and Beer Garden is Downtown but the first tour is at 1 PM...cutting it too close for your flight. You could eat and drink there for a couple hours though.

You might like the museum district or Galleria area better as there is a high concentration of stuff to do in a relatively small area.

3 hours ago, aknguyen said:

There's really not much to see anywhere near IAH. In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to stow your bags and then go 20+ miles back in your original direction to do things downtown but of course it's up to you. Also, the traditional "downtown" area is mostly office buildings with little activity on the weekends. There are a handful of parks and points of interest but not a lot. St. Arnold Brewery and Beer Garden is Downtown but the first tour is at 1 PM...cutting it too close for your flight. You could eat and drink there for a couple hours though.

You might like the museum district or Galleria area better as there is a high concentration of stuff to do in a relatively small area.

Galveston is your ticket unless you want to pay for a bunch of transfers . Besides there is not a lot of time between disembarkation and arrival time at airport . 

• 2 months later...