Recent Allure Dress Code for Men & Boys...Shorts?

6 minutes ago, trivia addict said:

Oh god. It saddens me to live in a time when rules are broken, people only care about their own comfort, children are allowed to do what the want because they might be uncomfortable, and no one cares about decorum?

I think today of all days,  of our military, who do what is asked of them and protect us regardless of their own lives.

Where might we be today, had the brave and  unselfish  men in Normandy had the attitude of “I’ll do what I want,  and all others be damned?” And I guess, rules are meant to be broken these days.

Not to compare your cruise with History, but think how one thing leads to another. 

Where do we stop and think of what is the right thing to do?

Really, how hard is it to wear long pants to dinner? Is that really going to ruin your vacation? Are you comfortable teaching your children that rules don’t apply to them?

Say a prayer today for my uncle and cousin who landed on the beaches, and then wear whatever you want on  your cruise. 

What rules are being broken?  

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, trivia addict said:

Oh god. It saddens me to live in a time when rules are broken, people only care about their own comfort, children are allowed to do what the want because they might be uncomfortable, and no one cares about decorum?

I think today of all days,  of our military, who do what is asked of them and protect us regardless of their own lives.

Where might we be today, had the brave and  unselfish  men in Normandy had the attitude of “I’ll do what I want,  and all others be damned?” And I guess, rules are meant to be broken these days.

Not to compare your cruise with History, but think how one thing leads to another. 

Really, how hard is it to wear long pants to dinner? Is that really going to ruin your vacation? Are you comfortable teaching your children that rules don’t apply to them?

Say a prayer today for my uncle and cousin who landed on the beaches, and then wear whatever you want on  your cruise. 

firstly I want to thank your uncle and cousin for their ultimate sacrifice. 

Secondly, I think you took this WAY too far. I agree, no shorts in the MDR. It is a fine dining experience and you wouldn't wear them to a fine dining experience on land because you would be turned away. But even those establishments are falling by the wayside. I just think people look at it as their vacation, they can do what they want. Until RCCI grows a set of balls and sets and adheres to the rules it will continue. The only way is to add this to our surveys at the end of our cruise. That is the only way to effect this kind of change. But there might not be enough of us who enjoy the formal experience anymore.

14 hours ago, depplep said:

Please tell me that isn't true.

Yes, it was on Holland America's Koeningsdam on our January 2019 cruise.  He was the talk of the cruise as he was frequently spotted at breakfast, lunch and dinner.  He wore the standard issued HAL bathrobe and throwaway slippers all the time.  At first, we thought he might have just come from the spa.  However, he was spotted too many times to be just going or coming to the Spa.  He was an older gentleman with a large belly that the robe barely wrapped around.  He was never spotted in the MDR.  

14 hours ago, trivia addict said:

Please don't bring God and the heroes of WW2 into a discussion about wearing shorts in the MDR on a cruise ship.  My late uncle survived Pearl Harbor and then served on two ships that sank in the Pacific.  Uncle Greg always wore his khaki shorts.  He was a free spirit.  He would not cruise as his memories at sea were just too painful.  Times change and we must as well.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Many of the replies to "Is it okay to wear shorts in the MDR?" seem to be that it is okay because the dress suggestion is not a rule. Or, even when stated as a rule ("Shorts are not allowed for dinner in the MDR"), people can wear what they want because RCI doesn't enforce it. The "it's okay" crowd seems to not care at all that there may a reason for the suggestion--if not enforced, it is irrelevant.

Some of us don't choose to do things based simply on what we can get away with. 

Edited by mayleeman

MDR dining is not fine dining.  It costs like <$20.  I feel overdressed going in long pants and collared shirt to go to a restaurant that's <$20.

Times are changing.  Styles are changing.  Maybe it's a coast vs rural thing.  Formal wear is out.  Dining is more about the food and less about everything else.  Ambiance is changing towards hipster faux-authentic.

21 hours ago, dwayneb236 said:

he will, its what the higher class does to us lower class. he's better than us and all

I feel like the people who complain are not upper class.  They are the middle class people that like to play dress up and play pretend that they are upper class for a week and better than everyone else because they are wearing suites on a vacation.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

And some of us don’t judge and could care less what others wear on their cruise. 

So, why do they have a dress "suggestion"? I wasn't judging what people wear, only the total discounting of the venue's expressed style preference. Personally, I would be thrilled to wear shorts if there were an explicit change.

21 hours ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

It is a fine dining experience 

Sorry, but I chuckled aloud at this!  Mass half organized chaos in a loud dining room that serves banquet food and has singing waiters twirling napkins over their head does not equal fine dining in any way, shape or form lol.

Edited by ryano
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I've been tilting at this windmill since I first started posting on CC.  I recognize anybody can and will wear whatever they want to the main dining room.  I recognize that the dress code is merely a suggestion and not a hard and fast rule.  However, I prefer that people dress a little nicer when coming to MDR and encourage it at every opportunity.  I recognize that the MDR isn't Morton's or The Bonaventure. No, my meal isn't ruined by your khaki shorts, wife beater and Oakland Raiders hat. However, my experience is enhanced when people make an effort to groom themselves and dress well. Just because I'm on vacation doesn't mean that I have to look like I live in a tent on Main Street off the 101 highway in LA.

I grow weary of folks who perpetually tell those of us who prefer a more gentile experience to cruise a different line because RC is marketed to families with kids.  Like the wanting the ride the Flowrider and eating in a more refined environment are mutually exclusive. 

So wear what you want but if it is at all possible, try and do the best you are able instead of the least you can get away with.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, ryano said:

Sorry, but I chuckled aloud at this!  Mass half organized chaos in a loud dining room that serves banquet food and has singing waiters twirling napkins over their head does not equal fine dining in any way, shape or form lol.

Obviously, some “think” of the MDR as “Fine Dinning “. 

21 hours ago, trivia addict said:

It is a far leap from going to dinner on a cruise to the beaches of Normandy.  Drama much?  If it was an actual issue, then the cruise line would not allow them to enter.  Today's culture puts comfort first.  Looks how many wear athletic and sports wear day to day.  It is just who we are as a society now. 

• Thanks 1

For gosh sakes.  Wear whatever you wish.  BTW...I dined at Mortons the other night and half the folks were in jeans.  I will not dress casually in the MDR just because I like to dress up.  However, I am very happy to see people enjoying themselves.  If that means they wish to dress in a tux, that's fine with me.  If they want to wear jeans or shorts, that's fine with me.  This will be our 52nd cruise.  I've seen all sorts of different clothing worn on formal nights...including the odd old gent whose tux reeked of mothballs.  Frankly, I like cruising more now than I did when my husband brought a tux, a suit and a sports jacket on our  7-day cruises.  Cruising is more relaxing than it used to be when it took an hour to get ready for dinner each evening.   I understand that folks wish to return to the good old days.  Gracefully, accept the fact that those days are past and a new generation of cruisers is setting sail.  Posting on CC is not going to change the cruise culture back to the way it was in 1990.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, UnorigionalName said:

MDR dining is not fine dining.  It costs like <$20.  I feel overdressed going in long pants and collared shirt to go to a restaurant that's <$20.

Times are changing.  Styles are changing.  Maybe it's a coast vs rural thing.  Formal wear is out.  Dining is more about the food and less about everything else.  Ambiance is changing towards hipster faux-authentic.

I feel like the people who complain are not upper class.  They are the middle class people that like to play dress up and play pretend that they are upper class for a week and better than everyone else because they are wearing suites on a vacation.

That's not a fair statement.  I like to dress up on formal night.  I've been cruising since I was a kid and like the old tradition of formal night.  Has nothing to do with "pretending to be better than everyone else".

44 minutes ago, Nashna said:

For gosh sakes.  Wear whatever you wish.  BTW...I dined at Mortons the other night and half the folks were in jeans.  I will not dress casually in the MDR just because I like to dress up.  However, I am very happy to see people enjoying themselves.  If that means they wish to dress in a tux, that's fine with me.  If they want to wear jeans or shorts, that's fine with me.  This will be our 52nd cruise.  I've seen all sorts of different clothing worn on formal nights...including the odd old gent whose tux reeked of mothballs.  Frankly, I like cruising more now than I did when my husband brought a tux, a suit and a sports jacket on our  7-day cruises.  Cruising is more relaxing than it used to be when it took an hour to get ready for dinner each evening.   I understand that folks wish to return to the good old days.  Gracefully, accept the fact that those days are past and a new generation of cruisers is setting sail.  Posting on CC is not going to change the cruise culture back to the way it was in 1990.  

With your experience; I think you answered your own question. Enjoy your cruise.

9 hours ago, Nashna said:

Yes, it was on Holland America's Koeningsdam on our January 2019 cruise.  He was the talk of the cruise as he was frequently spotted at breakfast, lunch and dinner.  He wore the standard issued HAL bathrobe and throwaway slippers all the time.  At first, we thought he might have just come from the spa.  However, he was spotted too many times to be just going or coming to the Spa.  He was an older gentleman with a large belly that the robe barely wrapped around.  He was never spotted in the MDR.  

I don't even know what to say about that...

2 hours ago, Nashna said:

Gracefully, accept the fact that those days are past and a new generation of cruisers is setting sail

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day; 
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mayleeman said:

@Tree_skier Excellent post! Nicely thought out--except for that tolerance of an Oakland Raiders hat.... 

I'm pretty intolerant of all things Oakland Raiders.  That being said, it was the most derogatory piece of headwear that I could think of at short notice. 🙂 You are welcome to substitute anything you find truly offensive. 

• Haha 1

Formal night is now only a suggestion because the idea of being held to even the most reasonable dress code is anathema to most Americans. When putting on a pair of long pants for public dining is considered too burdensome a standard, then the race to the bottom will inevitably result in tank-tops and cut-offs as acceptable dinner apparel. Welcome aboard "Philistine of the Seas". /rant

• Haha 1