Boats Collide in Budapest - 7 Dead

G.M.T.

19 hours ago, Geezer Cruiser said:

I was in Budapest at the time on the Ingvi. Don't know where you get the idea that it wasn't covered in American media, but fellow passengers and I received "Are you okay?" messages. 

Have you seen one mention since the initial event? I know I learned about it on CC. Was it on the mainstream news? I don’t know. But I was referring to the investigation. Obviously the details of the event weren’t properly communicated because your friends tonight you might be in danger but it was 7 Korean tourists who perished. If all the facts were reported there would be no cause for alarm. 

1 hour ago, Got2Cruise said:

Have you seen one mention since the initial event? I know I learned about it on CC. Was it on the mainstream news? I don’t know. But I was referring to the investigation. Obviously the details of the event weren’t properly communicated because your friends tonight you might be in danger but it was 7 Korean tourists who perished. If all the facts were reported there would be no cause for alarm. 

28 Korean tourists died in the accident. 7 were found dead immediately, 21 were reported missing. But none of the missing people survived the crash as we know today. 3 bidies still missing, the others have been found in the river or within the sunken ship, which has been retrieved now.

On 6/22/2019 at 10:14 AM, Got2Cruise said:

I would hope that even you are the biggest cheerleader of Viking products you still would want to learn the reason for this crash that killed innocent people, plus other crashes, plus the Viking Ocean fiasco that put many pax lives in danger. These are all factual events. Because they happened in Europe and no American lives were lost there was no reporting in American media. If it wasn’t for our European friends searching for articles concerning the events and in sometimes translating them, we would know even less. 

The facts in the latest article posted stated that the Captain passed the breathalyzer. It also stated as of now the Viking Captain is considered THE ONLY ONE AT FAULT. 

This has nothing to do with 1% ers. This is about finding out the facts. 

I’m surprised the accident wasn’t reported in America.  

Here in Australia it it was on all the news bulletins, often the lead story.  Followed up by detailed newspaper reports.  

On 6/21/2019 at 8:14 PM, Got2Cruise said:

I would hope that even you are the biggest cheerleader of Viking products you still would want to learn the reason for this crash that killed innocent people, plus other crashes, plus the Viking Ocean fiasco that put many pax lives in danger. These are all factual events. Because they happened in Europe and no American lives were lost there was no reporting in American media. If it wasn’t for our European friends searching for articles concerning the events and in sometimes translating them, we would know even less. 

The facts in the latest article posted stated that the Captain passed the breathalyzer. It also stated as of now the Viking Captain is considered THE ONLY ONE AT FAULT. 

This has nothing to do with 1% ers. This is about finding out the facts. 

I will preface this by saying that 2 of my 25 river cruises have been with Viking (the Elbe in 2010 and the Dnipro in 2012); I enjoyed the cruises but it is highly unlikely that I will sail Viking again based on their fake sales and far-in-advance full payment. 

Contrary to what you say there has indeed been reporting these VO and VR events in the US (NY Times, NY Post, Wash Post, CNN, CBS, etc). 

If you want facts, let’s stick to facts. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Marjan1 said:

I’m surprised the accident wasn’t reported in America.  

Here in Australia it it was on all the news bulletins, often the lead story.  Followed up by detailed newspaper reports.  

The accident was all over the news in America.  Issue is stories have short shelf life as media moves on to next shiny object and too infrequently does in depth or follow up reporting.  Slightly excusable as accident report is not coming soon.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://index.hu/belfold/2019/07/02/hableany_tulelo_vallomas_viking_sigyn/

https://index.hu/belfold/2019/07/02/kikapcsoltak_a_veszjelzoket_a_hableannyal_utkozo_vikingen/

The Sigyn switched off its proximity warning system. The radar detected the Hableány, but the constant beeping from the heavy traffic on the river bothered the crew.

The captain was notified of the accident by the passangers.

The Sigyn did not contact the Hableány to notify and confirm overtaking

The bridge was not extended all the way as it should have been.

A passenger couple filmed the whole event from the nose of the ship.

Both the Sigyn and the ship (Idun) following it failed to assist the passengers of the sunken ship, Sigyn simply left the scene.

2 bodies are still missing.

So sad...I hope they get proper answers to this tragedy.  Lives should not be lost because the crew is annoyed by the constant beeping.  I hope as a result, they make it so the proximity warning system and all other safety systems are impossible to disconnect.

38 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

@Rawlee thank you for the factual update. The FACTs speak for themselves. And, no, none of this has been reported in any media source in USA that I have seen. 

They’re not FACTs though. They’re assertions by lawyers representing the victims, who are hardly likely to be downplaying the significance of the information they’re passing on. 

The FACTs will be determined by an official enquiry, and liability will be determined in court. Prejudging either isn’t helpful. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So, the investigation has been finished.

https://index.hu/belfold/2019/10/15/hableany_baleset_brfk_sajtotajekoztato/

The captain of the Sygyn will be charged with causing a mass accident and 35 instances of failing to provide aid.

A separate investiogation is ongoing, to determine the responsibilities of the captain of the Idun (the ship following the Sygyn), as that ship failed to provide aid also.

The Hableány was found to be undercrewed by 1, and was unfit for service, though this did not affect the outcome of the accident.

1 body is still missing.

3 hours ago, Rawlee said:

So, the investigation has been finished.

https://index.hu/belfold/2019/10/15/hableany_baleset_brfk_sajtotajekoztato/

The captain of the Sygyn will be charged with causing a mass accident and 35 instances of failing to provide aid.

A separate investiogation is ongoing, to determine the responsibilities of the captain of the Idun (the ship following the Sygyn), as that ship failed to provide aid also.

The Hableány was found to be undercrewed by 1, and was unfit for service, though this did not affect the outcome of the accident.

1 body is still missing.

Thanks for the translation! Sorry this whole incident happened.

• Like 1