Federal judge threatens to temporarily block Carnival ships from docking at U.S. port

liamur14

What are your thoughts ??? 

"MIAMI HERALD, today"

A federal judge Wednesday threatened to stop Carnival Corp. from docking its ships at U.S. ports temporarily as punishment for possibly violating probation but said she would make a decision at a hearing scheduled for June 3.

Carnival has been on probation for the last two years as part of a $40 million settlement for illegally dumping oil into the ocean from its Princess Cruises ships for eight years and lying about the scheme to U.S. authorities. While on probation, according to court filings, Carnival Corp. and its subsidiary cruise lines have sought to avoid unfavorable findings by preparing ships in advance of court-ordered audits, falsified records, dumped plastic garbage into the ocean and illegally discharged gray water into Glacier Bay National Park in Alaska. The company also has tried to lobby the U.S. Coast Guard through a back channel to change the terms of the settlement, prosecutors allege. The company has acknowledged these incidents.

Hope that he does block them but for a really long  time.  If they were on probation for 8 years, exclude them from all US ports for at least 8 years.  Also ban all the affiliated Carnival lines for the US for the same time period.  Eight years jail time in prison for the company executives might also help. 

The only way to stop polluters is to hit them hard where it hurts - in the profit and loss statements.  Carnival knew that they were violating the term of the probation but they figured that they could get away with it.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Haha 1

I totally agree Don . We are scheduled to leave fr lauderdale June 8 . And I would see that as an  inconvienience but we’ll worth it for saving our Oceans . I say nail Carnival Corp  the Maximum  ! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Also ban all the affiliated Carnival lines for the US for the same time period.  Eight years jail time in prison for the company executives might also help.

Ban all the lines when one line (Princess) has 3 ships with 1 incident and 3 with 2 (at least in the lowest category, don't know about in the middle) for a total of 9 and one line (Holland) has 1 ship with 15 incidents and 1 with 2  for a total of 17, and the other line (Carnival) has 10 ships with 15 to 20 each and 2 ships with 1 for a total of almost 200? That seems a bit unequal to me. But I do definitely agree that jail time seems to be quite appropriate. Follow the rule the military uses--the commander is ultimately responsible. He/she gets the attaboys when it's a job well done and gets relieved when the job gets blown.  The navy seems to rely on that rule very strictly.  I'd suspect that if some CEO's started showing up as "guests of the court" as a result of things like court proceedings, etc. that such incidents would start becoming less frequent.

Tom

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@donaldsc

I agree totally.   Why should big business be treated differently to you or I?  Would we get away with something similar?

46 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@donaldsc

I agree totally.   Why should big business be treated differently to you or I?  Would we get away with something similar?

Don , keep being the voice , you’re heard far and wide 👏

• Haha 1

I suggest Federal prison time  for violating Federal pollution law; 5 yrs ea. A Pacific coast territorial waters ban for 5 yrs,

This would be a great time for X and RCL to expand their market share.

No Behemoth of the Seas please.

Edited by EDDY0827

3 minutes ago, bemis12 said:

The economic devastation of such an order would be incalculable. That’s just not going to happen.

1 minute ago, liamur14 said:

Don't do the crime if you don't wanna do the time!  Our  OCEAN'S are in CRISIS!  THAT SHOULD BE OUR ONLY PRIORITY!

PEOPLE should always come before policy or places.  It is easy to throw around possible punishment when it does not effect your life.  But tens of thousands people depend on the jobs created both directly and indirectly by Carnival.  Real lives of real people who should always be the PRIORITY first.  I am not for trashing our oceans or letting Carnival off the hook but the punishment should not punish the innocent. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, bemis12 said:

The economic devastation of such an order would be incalculable. That’s just not going to happen.

Perhaps, in addition to banning some Carnival Corp ships from some US ports, the judge can levy a $eriou$ fine ... and that money would be used to compensate the newly non-CCL ports for lost revenue and jobs in local tourism ... you know, hotels, restaurants, etc.  Imagine no CCL Corp ships in Hawaii and Alaska for like 10 years ... lotsa money there.   A ban is doable, but I doubt the courts have the stomach to make it so.  Sadly, a large fine and a slap on the executives' collective wrists may be all thst'll happen.

12 minutes ago, drjpreston said:

PEOPLE should always come before policy or places.  It is easy to throw around possible punishment when it does not effect your life.  But tens of thousands people depend on the jobs created both directly and indirectly by Carnival.  Real lives of real people who should always be the PRIORITY first.  I am not for trashing our oceans or letting Carnival off the hook but the punishment should not punish the innocent. 

Do you honestly believe that corporate priorties are more focused on people rather than the bottom line and red ink vs black ink?

I see your point ... just not sure it's in sync with corporate mentality and goals  

4 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

Do you honestly believe that corporate priorties are more focused on people rather than the bottom line and red ink vs black ink?

I am focused on the fact that some are quick to want to ban Carnival for ten years from American ports without thinking about the people that will be effected.  Thousands not working for Carnival. 

As far as "corporate priorities" I have no idea what they are.  I would guess they want to make money for the shareholders who own the company and keep the company competitive.  Some of those shareholders are counting on the stock to stay strong help in their retirement income. 

When we think of corporations we forget that outside of a few bigwigs that have earned a spot at the top because of their business background and who are often considered overpaid by those who wish they were paid as much, the corporation is made up of a lot of common people.  Secretaries, janitors, security people, HR, computer geeks, and a lot of people on ships who are just trying to feed their families. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JerseyShore said:

What happens to the passengers who are currently on a ship and the judge halts docking at a US port?

They’ll just toss them over the side in the middle of the ocean. 

That’s just about as likely as a judge completely ignoring economics and banning carnival ships from US ports

43 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Whoa ... that's crazy!  I researched this a bit and this judgement could affect all cruiseships under the Carnival Corp umbrella.  

motive ?

4 hours ago, JerseyShore said:

What happens to the passengers who are currently on a ship and the judge halts docking at a US port?

1) The order will probably let the ships dock at their final destination (FLL, MIA, etc.), to discharge passengers only; or

2) Has a future start date (say 1 month out) to give them time to seek an injunction, and to plan accordingly (don't start any cruises you can't finish). 

5 hours ago, Kenswing said:

I agree.  Smack a big 'ol fine on them that will make them squeal.  

And that fine will mean further price hikes. Perhaps the increased soda package prices is in preparation 🤣 Totally Topical.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1