Best Nassau Excursion w/ Toddler

lec2017

Hey all!

We’re planning on cruising in September with a stop in Nassau. We’ve gotten off the boat once and wandered around the shops by the pier and we’ve just stayed on the boat once too. My little one is 4 and isn’t a fan of water slides so I’m thinking the Atlantis Aquaventure would be a waste of money. Any tips on the best excursions?

There's nothing great in Nassau unless you want to go to Atlantis, which is expensive and crowded.

Even the Bahamas tourist ministry has accepted that their approach was flawed (paying cruise companies money to dock rather than building up tourist attractions).

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-bz-bahamas-unhappy-with-cruise-passenger-spending-20181022-story.html

Many go to Nassau many times (because almost every Eastern Caribbean cruise stops here), realize there's not much to do and don't get off the boat on subsequent visits.

• 4 weeks later...

Atlantis would be wasted on a 4 year old, IMO...If you pay that much, you're tempted to stay all day, and a 4 year old certainly doesn't need to be in the sun that long!

There are public beaches, if he'd enjoy digging in the sand and splashing in the surf for a bit....costs nothing but possibly transportation, although there may be some beaches fairly close by.  Google Nassau.....you might be surprised at the things that would occupy a little one...and you!

When my kids were young (3 and 7) they enjoyed the Ardastra Gardens zoo. It's not large, but it has a cute "marching flamingoes" show. We visited as part of an excursion that included a stop at the Queen's Staircase (during which I stayed on the bus with my sleeping daughter) but you could probably get to the zoo on your own.

In addition to Atlantis Aquaventure being expensive, most water slides have height limits.  Nice kids area with water features, shallow water and fountains plus a few small slides, but not enough to justify price.  We did do the dolphin encounter with 3 1/2 year old but after touching the dolphin she bolted for the beach.  Looked cute in wet suit, but did cost over $200 for that shot.  She did enjoy the play area.

Nassau board has lots of info on places like Blue Lagoon and Balmoral Island, but these all-inclusives can be expensive for a family.

I second the Ardastra Gardens suggestion.  My daughter really enjoyed it when she was younger.  We actually went back on another trip because she liked it.  Take a cab there as it is uphill but we walked back.  It was not a short walk but it wasn't strenuous.