Domestic (US) travel insurance

Question for those who buy domestic trip insurance:

Beyond rental car primary coverage and non-refundable airfare coverage,

what reimbursement situations do you want your domestic travel insurance to cover? 

6 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Question for those who buy domestic trip insurance:

Beyond rental car primary coverage and non-refundable airfare coverage,

what reimbursement situations do you want your domestic travel insurance to cover? 

evacuation to hospital of your choice, repatriation of remains.

Had a BIL killed on a cross country motorcycle ride. SIL had to cremate remains just to afford to bring BIL back for final services.

If you already have vehicle insurance, that should/will cover you for domestic trips. We once had a car rental agent in San Antonio try to tell us we HAD to buy extra insurance for their rental car.  Nope.  My agent said we were covered anywhere in the U.S.

No extra second driver fee either when we rent a car through that big box chain store travel dept.

9 hours ago, klfrodo said:

evacuation to hospital of your choice, repatriation of remains.

Had a BIL killed on a cross country motorcycle ride. SIL had to cremate remains just to afford to bring BIL back for final services.

How awful for your sister!  I never would have thought about that, so thank you for mentioning it.

2 hours ago, Walfam said:

If you already have vehicle insurance, that should/will cover you for domestic trips. We once had a car rental agent in San Antonio try to tell us we HAD to buy extra insurance for their rental car.  Nope.  My agent said we were covered anywhere in the U.S.

No extra second driver fee either when we rent a car through that big box chain store travel dept.

Rental car compounds can and will charge an additional cost to you that is not commonly covered by your normal car insurance coverage. They call it “Loss of Use”. So if it’s out for repair and unable to be rented out.......

10 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Rental car compounds can and will charge an additional cost to you that is not commonly covered by your normal car insurance coverage. They call it “Loss of Use”. So if it’s out for repair and unable to be rented out.......

On another forum, this has come up recently.

Does the Amex (Plat?) extra auto insurance (something like $20 per rental, not per day?) cover this loss of use?

Any other coverage that does this?

GC

• Like 1

19 hours ago, klfrodo said:

This is news to us and I certainly understand the business sense behind it.

We currently have a rental car booked for a trip in July through that big box travel entity and if that Loss of Use is part of it, then it is lumped in with the base price of rental, or else the taxes and fees where we cannot see it.   Those taxes and fees are 1/3 of the base rental price, so I'll bet it is in there.  We've never been hit with extra charges when we get our rental cars booked thru them.

Our credit cards offer vehicle insurance, too.   We have  not gotten CDW insurance in Scotland on trips (although it has been fourteen years since our last self-driven trip there) because our credit card had coverage.     I  had read the fine print and called to confirm.