Bed Configuration

Particle_Penguin

Does anybody have a preference about bed configuration when traveling solo?  I'll be traveling in a Princess balcony cabin.  I know the actual space is the same, since they just move the beds together to make the queen.  But has anybody found a particular configuration more efficient than the other? 

5 hours ago, mtwingcpa said:

But I've wanted to try them separate...one to sleep in and one to pile stuff on. 😉

Being widowed and having kinda slack housekeeping habits I have no problem sleeping on a bed that has stuff piled on the other side. : )

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

• 4 weeks later...

I always have them put the beds together.  I'm a full-grown man; I need more room than a twin bed allows.  Plus, I move around in my sleep a lot, and the ship movement is sometimes pretty strong.  So a big bed ensures I don't go tumbling on the floor.

For the suitcase storage, I use the big ledge in front of the portholes. I've sailed only on Carnival's Fantasy class ships, in porthole cabins, and they all have that ledge.

I usually have them split them into two beds.  With one bed you usually have a narrow space on both sides of the bed, while when split they can be placed on each side of the cabin and you have a much more comfortable space down the middle of the cabin.  It  just makes it easier for me to get around in the cabin if I am not walking sideways to get into bed.  No right or wrong answer, just do what works best for you and enjoy the cruise.

I typically cruise in an inside, and I like the twins spread apart against each side wall to have the center area as an extension of the walking area.  

I've been wanting to try setting the beds up in an L formation... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

You can also have the beds put together but pushed up against one wall (if in a non-balcony room) so there is a wider walkway on the side you get in/out of bed.  

If in a balcony room, I'd just leave them together, because it doesn't really make a difference. But in an inside or window-only room, I like the wider walkway from either splitting the beds, or pushing up against one wall.

• Thanks 1

Never really thought about it to be honest. Maybe I was just getting good rooms all the time, idk. Beds were also fine to me, moreover, I doubt that beds in single cabins any different from those in other cabins. Its not a hospital bed that can change positions with a remote but its still nice to spend a week sleeping on it.

18 hours ago, vms said:

I like the beds together, but I love the idea of having them together and also pushed against the wall for a wider walkway when in an inside! I had never thought about asking for that. Thanks @brillohead

You're very welcome!  I recommended it to a friend years ago (before he married, when he cruised solo) and he said it made a big difference.  

• Like 1

Just make sure when they shove the bed to one side so that the gap is not below the fold up bed.  I can't believe I had to ask the steward to move the gap to the other side.  Trying to walk bent away from the fold up bed is tough for a geezer with a bad knee.

• 2 months later...

The bed configuration depends on the stateroom type that I have.

If the veranda stateroom has a Queen bed, I will request that it be left as a Queen.

If the stateroom in an outside stateroom with the Queen bed positioned beneath the window/porthole, then I want the bed separated to make two single beds with an aisle to the window/porthole.  From my experiences, this makes for such a stateroom to seem more "spacious" and provides more usable "moving around" space within the stateroom.  Plus, the unused single bed is a great site to place luggage that one may need to access and store purchases until they are packed to take ashore.  

So far, I've always sailed solo in a balcony cabin.  I almost always ask for the queen configuration.  Except Princess, which does not put a small sofa in their regular balconies on the ships I've used. Then I ask for twins so I can lay clothes, etc. for the following day.