Suggestions for Ushuaia

paphoslady

When we were there we took a tour to the Harberton Estancia and onto Martillo Island to see the penguins. It was excellent, we walked among Gentoo and Magellanic penguins. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g312855-d7746157-r460098962-Isla_Martillo-Ushuaia_Province_of_Tierra_del_Fuego_Patagonia.html

4 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

When we were there we took a tour to the Harberton Estancia and onto Martillo Island to see the penguins. It was excellent, we walked among Gentoo and Magellanic penguins. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g312855-d7746157-r460098962-Isla_Martillo-Ushuaia_Province_of_Tierra_del_Fuego_Patagonia.html

What what theme & website of the tour company you used?  Cost?  Duration?

I can’t remember the company, it was a few years ago. The tour was quite a long one as it’s quite a long drive from Ushuaia to the Harberton Estancia. 

What we loved was that we could walk among the penguins - the ship offered a tour where you went by boat to the island, but couldn't go ashore, you just watched the penguins from the boat.

18 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I can’t remember the company, it was a few years ago. The tour was quite a long one as it’s quite a long drive from Ushuaia to the Harberton Estancia. 

What we loved was that we could walk among the penguins - the ship offered a tour where you went by boat to the island, but couldn't go ashore, you just watched the penguins from the boat.

Thank you so much.  This tour look so quite interesting - and especially so, for those of us who don't wish to take the 2 hour tour over difficult roadpaths to Volunteer Point in the Falklands, this might be a suitable alternative on South American Cruises.

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Ushuaia this past February (2019) and "accidently" found a great tour guide that I can recommend if you are looking for a small, private tour.

Originally we (2 couples) had booked a private tour with Ruben (ruben-ushuaia@hotmail.com) and I think he would have been an excellent guide based on the correspondence we had prior to the trip. However, at the last minute he had car troubles and didn't want to risk taking us into remote areas for our tour.

I was impressed that instead of just cancelling, Ruben got Frederico Moyana to fill in for him and meet us at the dock. Frederico is a licensed tour guide and our day with him turned out to be one of the best! Frederico was able to find ways to keep us away from the crowds (which were huge at some locations) and also make suggestions of things to see that we hadn't planned. I have written about our day in Ushuaia on my blog if you want more details https://mysouvenirmemories.blogspot.com/2019/02/glacier-alley-and-ushuaia.html. Ushuaia and the surrounding areas are breathtaking. Here are a couple of photos to give you an idea of what we saw...

image.thumb.png.d734903a75bd9f09f95a3cd3bf4db0ea.png

IMG_5119edit.JPG

And a photo of Frederico...

IMG_1434.JPG

Here is Frederico's business card if you would like to contact him. He is just getting his business started and I expect it to be a big success!

IMG_7035.jpg

Edited by AryMay

4 hours ago, AryMay said:

We were in Ushuaia this past February (2019) and "accidently" found a great tour guide that I can recommend if you are looking for a small, private tour.

Originally we (2 couples) had booked a private tour with Ruben (ruben-ushuaia@hotmail.com) and I think he would have been an excellent guide based on the correspondence we had prior to the trip. However, at the last minute he had car troubles and didn't want to risk taking us into remote areas for our tour.

I was impressed that instead of just cancelling, Ruben got Frederico Moyana to fill in for him and meet us at the dock. Frederico is a licensed tour guide and our day with him turned out to be one of the best! Frederico was able to find ways to keep us away from the crowds (which were huge at some locations) and also make suggestions of things to see that we hadn't planned. I have written about our day in Ushuaia on my blog if you want more details https://mysouvenirmemories.blogspot.com/2019/02/glacier-alley-and-ushuaia.html. Ushuaia and the surrounding areas are breathtaking. Here are a couple of photos to give you an idea of what we saw...

You are a wealth of knowledge from your South America trip!  Thank you for sharing again.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2019 at 12:43 AM, Host Grandma Cruising said:

This also sounds like Pira Tours to me.  We have used them twice, and were very pleased both times.

And for those interested in a delicious meal in Ushuaia, we dined at El Viejo Marino last March.  Wonderful king crab.

There is plenty to see and do.   The train is excellent.   There was a vendor this past season, on the dock,  who offered the combo of transportation,  train and permit all in one.   Less than 1/2 price compared to  the ship tour.     The Prison museum is excellent-  walkable.  A couple other museums right in the dock area.   I've rented cars and driven-   absolutely superb drive my last time to Lakby e Fagnano.  

I've taken boat tours.    All excellent.

But-    in my opinion,  by far,   Volunteer  Point is well worth any journey getting there.  And the only place to see kings.     It is also easy to see Magellanic penguins at Punta Tombo-   

Ushuaia  is a gem,  loaded with plenty to see and do.   

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone used Gerardo Germain or Mario Miraglia lately?  I got their names from past cruise critic reviews, but none of the reviews are very recent.  I have been in contact with both of them and they are still doing tours; I was just hoping to hear about some more recent experiences.

• 5 months later...
On 6/20/2019 at 8:46 AM, AryMay said:

We were in Ushuaia this past February (2019) and "accidentally" found a great tour guide that I can recommend if you are looking for a small, private tour.

Mary,

I can't thank you enough, I'm enjoying your blog so much! Our cruise isn't for almost two years but I love the planning stage. Never too early for me!

• 3 weeks later...

I hope OP went there at beginning of March as later departures were cancelled...

...I myself returned 3 weeks ago from a Antarctica Cruise with "G-Expedition" and spend some days before

the cruise in Ushuaia.

There is a tour to Estancia Harberton (one-way by bus, the other on the Beagle-Channel by Katamaran) where you will be brought to the Penguin Island and can ectually spend about 45 minutes among the Penguins. There are only 120 people allowed each day and the tour company is called "Pirattour"

I enjoyed also a full day in "Tierra del Fuego"-Nationalpark. That's something for hikers. I did it by myself; there is the bus stopp near the pier, where mini-vans will bring you for 900 Pesos into the park and will pick you up at certain times for your way back.

The entrance into the Nationalpark costs 560 Pesos.

Also if you don't like to leave the lovely town, there are two nice museums which I recommend; one is the "Museum in the Prison on the End of the World", which has many exhibitions about history of Ushuaia, Marine, Antarctica, the Prison itself and Art;

the other is a thematic gallery with an excellent audio guide, basically a "Wax Figur"-Cabinet.

Don't bother with the "Museum Fin del Mundo", that one is very small and not worth the money.

• Like 1