Jim_Iain Live!!! - B2B Summit New England and Bermuda Jun 5 & 16th

Jim_Iain

I took my first celebrity cruise to Alaska in May on Millennium thanks to your post about the refurbishment.  We stayed in a CS and were so very happy.  It is heads above Royal including when we stayed in Star and the Royal suites.  Even though I am Diamond + on Royal I am now a convert, especially for the suite perks.

When we did Alaska, the retreat and retreat sundeck had very nice choices of complementary drinks.  Many nice wine selections and liquor selections they served all day.  Looking at doing the Bermuda on the Summit in August.  Can you let me know if that is the same on Summit?  We did not do the drink packages as a few drinks in the Retreat Lounge and Sundeck was enough for us.

I'll remind you once you board as well. 

Thank you!

14 hours ago, Von & John said:

Jim & Iain  --  Have a safe flight East & Amazing B2B Cruises!  Looking forward to learning about new ports...

Cheers  --  Von & John

Thanks Von & John

I just got up and checked in for our Flights on United.   Tomorrow at this time we will be on our way.   With a 3 hour time change to the east coast we usually have early morning flights in order to arrive at a decent hour.   Since our plane overnights at SJC we usually don't have to worry about a delayed inbound.

4BFF06E2-78B4-4987-BB41-A9D5384C6F38.thumb.jpeg.1817b73bb70f8c6e38e5ce583b725f97.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, bunnyette said:

I definitely recommend that in the Canadian ports, renting a car will allow you to see what you want & at your own pace and maybe discover some hidden treasures!  Plus the US$ is much stronger than the CDN$ so you may find a few deals just don’t fall for USD “at par”

Unfortunately these cruise doesn't have any Canadian ports.   These cruises hit Newport, Boston, Bar Harbor, Portland and Bermuda.    I sure wise we were going to Canada.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The pink sand is a tint. Sunlight and time of day affects how we see the pink tint but don’t expect it to be like in some photos. Many photos have been “enhanced”. In any case Horseshoe Bay is a gorgeous beach. I have been about 20 times and will go again weather permitting.

Thanks for the advise.    It is incredible the wealth of knowledge here at Cruise Critic.   I really was expecting really pink sand link many of the pictures.   At least by setting our expectation  lower we will not be disappointed.

13 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The itinerary strikes me as somewhat odd. I usually do a 7 day Celebrity to Bermuda in  early June but passed on booking Celebrity this year when they came out with the 11 day Bermuda and New England itineraries in early and middle June. Then last  week I saw a price for the 11 day that was less than I ever paid for the Bermuda sailings so I booked it. 

I would agree that when I first saw the cruise I thought it was a bit odd.    Kinda a hybrid of the New England / Canada cruise and the Bermuda cruise.    The price was one of the main reasons we booked.   Getting down to $100 pp per day (no perks) for Aqua is really rare.  Glad you also booked it.

10 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Jim,

I cant believe I’ve found another of your cruises to follow. I’ve  always wanted to sail on the Summit to New England in the Fall.

Eventually, we managed to sail into Montreal on Azamara Quest, leaving Southampton 09.09.16. Unfortunately, we were just a little early for true Fall colours.

Glad you found the blog and are coming along for the journey.   I only sailed Summit once before and it was so many years ago.   Wish we were continuing on to Canada -  the Azamara to Montreal sound wonderful.

Another cruise on our Bucket List is South Africa and an Safari.   I've seen a number of Azamara cruises that could possibly work.

• Like 3

Jim, I'd recommend removing the photo of your boarding pass.  Someone with nefarious intentions could do a lot with the ticket number and PNR visible.

Looking forward to following along on your review. regrettably, no cruising for me anytime soon!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eastern flygirl said:

Hi Jim -iain

We are sailing on the Summit with you on June 5.  Really excited to get on the ship and see what is new.  We sailed with Captain Kate two years ago, and love Bermuda.  I met my husband and got married over fifty years ago in Newport, so that that will be a fun day.  Would love to meet both of you, as I enjoy all your reviews.  Have a safe trip, and don’t forget the passport.

Passport is packed, Airline Boarding Passes are packed and just printed my Luggage Tags.    I ordered Luggage Tags 2 weeks ago and so far nothing has arrived.   I doubt they will arrive today as we had USPS Informed Delivery and it sends an e-mail with pictures of what is coming in the mail each morning. 

I use these clear plastic Luggage Tag Holders (from Amazon) so are really easy to use with either the pre-printed or self-printed tags.

Congratulation on 50 years of marriage.   That is so special.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jimbri said:

Looking forward to your newest review and photos.  We are going to Bermuda at the end of June although on a different cruise line and are especially interested in that part of your review. Have a wonderful time!!

Thanks for coming along.   We have only been in Bermuda once before, which was part of our TA last November.   It is a beautiful island and has a very British feel.   I am sure we will get to explore more this time as a combination of the two cruises we will be there for 5 days.   I am sure on some of those days we will just stay aboard and enjoy the quiet and tranquility of a less crowded ship.

2 hours ago, chicagopaul said:

Always fun to follow along! Jealous of this cruise! Hope you have a great time.

Paul -   Wonderful to see you are joining in.   I have always loved following along on yours and Edwards adventures.  Your Live Blogs always help us to vicariously enjoy your cruises from afar.

2 hours ago, irishgal432 said:

I took my first celebrity cruise to Alaska in May on Millennium thanks to your post about the refurbishment.  We stayed in a CS and were so very happy.  It is heads above Royal including when we stayed in Star and the Royal suites.  Even though I am Diamond + on Royal I am now a convert, especially for the suite perks.

When we did Alaska, the retreat and retreat sundeck had very nice choices of complementary drinks.  Many nice wine selections and liquor selections they served all day.  Looking at doing the Bermuda on the Summit in August.  Can you let me know if that is the same on Summit?  We did not do the drink packages as a few drinks in the Retreat Lounge and Sundeck was enough for us.

I'll remind you once you board as well. 

Thank you!

Always wonderful to see you IrishGal.       I'm really happy to hear that Millennium worked out so well for you.   While many don't like the dark bedroom of the CS on the M-Class, but we love it.   Allows us to sleep in and it is so quiet and peaceful.

While we haven't been on any of the Revolutionized ships I am expecting Summit to be very similar to Millennium.   I will make sure to post lots of picture. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Always wonderful to see you IrishGal.       I'm really happy to hear that Millennium worked out so well for you.   While many don't like the dark bedroom of the CS on the M-Class, but we love it.   Allows us to sleep in and it is so quiet and peaceful.

While we haven't been on any of the Revolutionized ships I am expecting Summit to be very similar to Millennium.   I will make sure to post lots of picture. 

We did Alaska and for us it was perfect since there was so much sunlight.  In addition, we had the butler bring us coffee, fruit and danish and set it on the table while we were sleeping each morning!  

4 hours ago, irishgal432 said:

We did Alaska and for us it was perfect since there was so much sunlight.  In addition, we had the butler bring us coffee, fruit and danish and set it on the table while we were sleeping each morning!  

Glad you enjoyed.   I love those huge windows - especially when visiting the Glacier.   The views are spectacular.

2 hours ago, Lastdance said:

I just got "caught up," so now I can relax and wait for it...thanks once again for inviting so many of us on board to live vicariously through your cruise and photos!

Thanks for coming along.    Everything is pretty much caught up to begin the cruise.

• Like 1

Just finished my last walk before the cruise.   I really enjoy walking the the beautiful secluded trails while still in the middle of a major metropolitan area.   I have a number of last minute errands to run this afternoon so kept it down to 12 miles. 

AC056F7E-9237-4CFB-9E07-6559A5152A18.thumb.jpeg.4b180fcb47cece8ffa190201c88b1212.jpeg

and here is my reward at my halfway point. 

F0E1889E-E727-4D0B-9ED2-584077F2F33B.thumb.jpeg.67464debb694d45f1bd2bd67af2f25b6.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Just finished my last walk before the cruise.   I really enjoy walking the the beautiful secluded trails while still in the middle of a major metropolitan area.   I have a number of last minute errands to run this afternoon so kept it down to 12 miles. 

AC056F7E-9237-4CFB-9E07-6559A5152A18.thumb.jpeg.4b180fcb47cece8ffa190201c88b1212.jpeg

F0E1889E-E727-4D0B-9ED2-584077F2F33B.thumb.jpeg.67464debb694d45f1bd2bd67af2f25b6.jpeg

Love Starbucks. Have to settle for Cafe a Bacio on the Summit. Not as good but better then the regular coffee being served. Will be at the Cafe early every morning. 

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Trying to identify the Starbucks, while sitting at a Starbucks in Sunnyvale.

Jim...tried to book the 2nd part of your B2B yesterday afternoon...it was on a great last minute sailing sale on the X website!! Saw it...went to the living to ask DH if he wanted to go...he said yes...and when I got to the computer everything was sold out ...except inside and no can do them!! BOO!!! Have a great time!! LuAnn

4 minutes ago, LuAnn said:

Jim...tried to book the 2nd part of your B2B yesterday afternoon...it was on a great last minute sailing sale on the X website!! Saw it...went to the living to ask DH if he wanted to go...he said yes...and when I got to the computer everything was sold out ...except inside and no can do them!! BOO!!! Have a great time!! LuAnn

Wonder if you called in whether there might be something available.   I believe they retire a number of cabins to allocate to MoveUp bids. 

Would have been great for you to have gotten on the 2nd cruise.   The prices were a real steal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LorraineP said:

Love Starbucks. Have to settle for Cafe a Bacio on the Summit. Not as good but better then the regular coffee being served. Will be at the Cafe early every morning. 

Actually Cafe al Bacio isn't too bad once I learned to order properly.   If you order a Double Cappuccino DRY it comes out similar to a Starbuck.    If I order a regular Cappuccino they have a tendency to make it more like a Latte. 

44 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

Trying to identify the Starbucks, while sitting at a Starbucks in Sunnyvale.

LOL..... Actually I  hit two every day;  both are in Mountain View  -   Stop 1 is Starbucks at El Camino Real and Grant  right off the Steven's Creek Trail and the second stop where the picture was taken is The Starbucks at Castro and Church.    I usually order them remotely from my Starbuck App so it is awaiting me when I walk in the door.

• Like 1

It is 5:00 PM here and I just finished my packing.   There are always those last minute items to drop in the bag like our shaving kits.    Next is for me to get all my Electronics together.   Being a major Techno Silicon Valley Nerd it is incredible what I bring along.   

I have read that they have changed the TV's and no longer are they able to be unlocked to use the HDMI.  I'll have to see if I can get the engineering department to unlock the hotel mode.