Jim_Iain Live!!! - B2B Summit New England and Bermuda Jun 5 & 16th

Jim_Iain

11 hours ago, cruisecatmama said:

I love following your live blogs and am happy that I finally caught one at the beginning. Have a great trip!

1 hour ago, Newsbuff16 said:

Have a great cruise!  Looking forward to reading your posts!

Btw, Newport is great...the mansions (the Breakers if you only have time for one), the Cliff Walk, and the Black Pearl for great clam chowder!

11 hours ago, tce40 said:

Safe travels to my favorite live blogger!

11 hours ago, rcssmom said:

Enjoy your cruises.  I look forward to hearing your perspective on the Summit Revolution.

Karen

10 hours ago, maggie.1008 said:

I will be following along. I love Bermuda. That`s where my  DH proposed to me 30 years ago. 

Enjoy, Heather

10 hours ago, hcat said:

So romantic...we love to take photos  under the moonroofs.  They are popular there!

10 hours ago, kpark895 said:

Looking forward to following along, as I have always enjoyed your live reviews.  Plus, I grew up in Rhode Island, now live in New Hampshire, plenty of family vacations to Newport and Maine when I was a kid, and my very first cruise was last year, to Bermuda, on the Summit.  So I'm sure your review will bring back lots of memories!

Hope you and Lain have a great cruise!

8 hours ago, cinnamon said:

I’ll be ‘virtually’  cruising along with you too. After 5 years away from X, mostly with Azamara, we’ve booked the Summit for August 2020. Looking forward to reading your insightful views. 😉😀

Corinne

7 hours ago, 24acorns said:

Have a great trip. Can't wait to follow along again. Your posts and photos are always wonderful. 

Hope you are as lucky with the weather as your last trip.

Interested to know how Summit compares to Infinity after Summit Edge upgrades?

6 hours ago, kpark895 said:

Meant that to be Iain!  Sorry, Jim!

3 hours ago, mac3835 said:

So happy to find another one of your live blogs.  I enjoy your photography and admire your dai

ly step totals!  Have a great cruise.

Thanks for all the nice greetings.   You guys are the best!

6 hours ago, bermadu22 said:

Jim, you mentioned briefly that it was you guys 30th Anniversary. Congratulations on that, together 30 years and raised 3 kids, that's something to celebrate. DH and I wish you the best, and many more happy year together. 

Thanks.    It is incredible that 30 years has flown by so quickly.   Having a wonderful spouse like Iain is what makes it all possible.   To be honest we wondered if we would kill each other after retiring, but have to admit it love having Iain around all the time.

• Like 3

We have arrived in Newark after a long day of traveling.    We got up at 4:30 AM and had our Uber pick us up at 6:00.   Ourtflight to Houston was uneventful and arrived about 10 minutes early.    Our second flight from Houston to Newark was  doing fine until we go on the runway for take off.    The pilot came on and announced that he was embarrassed to tell us that the paperwork indicated they had failed to tie down one of the freight containers and we would have to return to the terminal to have it checked.   20 minutes later all was fixed and we were waiting for a tug to push us back.   If you can believe this,  the pilot came back on again an apologized that the  head set on the tug wasn't working and they had to call for a new tug.  Ugh.    We finally made it but were an hour late into Newark.

It has been many years since we have been at EWR and have to say the signage is a bit confusing.    We are staying at Newark Airport Hilton and they have a free shuttle.    After a couple attempts we learned we had to take a Sky Train to P4 Parking for all hotel shuttles.    Once we got there the shuttle was waiting and we were checked in within minutes.

One problem with coming in from the West Coast is that at 9:45 we are no way near sleepy.     We will probably go down and have a drink and a snack.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

While Horseshoe Bay is lovely and very popular,there are other beaches just as lovely  and perhaps a bit quieter.

Warwick Long  Bay comes to mind as well as the expansive Elbow Beach.

The Elbow Beach Hotel was offering a limited amount of day guest passes if you are interested in a relaxing beach day at a pretty property. They may still offer these passes.

Elbow Beach Resort has to be booked thru Resorts for a Day. Warwick Long Bay is good for those who don’t mind sitting on a towel as there are no chair rentals there. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

@Jim_Iain, have a great sailing! I agree with the earlier comments about the sand at Horseshoe Bay; it does look pink in the right light and I thought it came out more when the sand got wet with the sun shining down, but regardless the area is gorgeous and has lots of little coves and protected nooks to find and enjoy.

I happened to get a bunch of the sand from Horseshoe bay trapped in my water shoes, and it proceeded to fall into my suitcase on the drive home; so I collected it after taking out the clothes and stuff, and took a picture. You can see the pink flecks of crushed coral  mixed in with the regular sand:

fullsizeoutput_2f04.thumb.jpeg.b91b9d071a0fbc1fc178ae4f0b01fd18.jpeg

If you decide not to visit Horseshoe Bay, another option besides the ones already listed is Tobacco Bay Beach just outside of St. George's. If you take the ferry to St. George's the beach is an easy 1/2 mile walk from the center of town. Just ask any of the residents, they will be happy to give you directions. The water depth varies a lot with the tide, but it's a nice little beach that few seem to know about or visit and it still has a place to grab a bite, rent a chair and umbrella, and enjoy a few beers on the sand.

9 hours ago, Aralim said:

@Jim_Iain, have a great sailing! I agree with the earlier comments about the sand at Horseshoe Bay; it does look pink in the right light and I thought it came out more when the sand got wet with the sun shining down, but regardless the area is gorgeous and has lots of little coves and protected nooks to find and enjoy.

I happened to get a bunch of the sand from Horseshoe bay trapped in my water shoes, and it proceeded to fall into my suitcase on the drive home; so I collected it after taking out the clothes and stuff, and took a picture. You can see the pink flecks of crushed coral  mixed in with the regular sand:

That is a lot of sand to get caught in your shoes. 🙂
Thank you for the picture, I've never seen it before.

• Like 1

Welcome to NJ, EWR and all the confusing signs!  Even after living in NJ all my life, I still have to make sure I pay attention to the signs.  LOL. Have a great cruise and sailaway.

Edited by ecslady

11 hours ago, Aralim said:

If you decide not to visit Horseshoe Bay, another option besides the ones already listed is Tobacco Bay Beach just outside of St. George's. If you take the ferry to St. George's the beach is an easy 1/2 mile walk from the center of town. Just ask any of the residents, they will be happy to give you directions. The water depth varies a lot with the tide, but it's a nice little beach that few seem to know about or visit and it still has a place to grab a bite, rent a chair and umbrella, and enjoy a few beers on the sand.

Thanks for the visual.   One picture is sure worth a 1,000 words.  We will make sure it is a really nice sunny day the day we plan on visiting.    I'm half way thinking about renting one of those two passenger vehicles and explore the island.

2 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Today is the day!  Looking forward to hearing about the LIVE music on board.  We enjoy spending the evenings with a cocktail listening to live music.  SEE YOU SOON.

Yea...... Final cruise day.   Not a very pretty day looking out the window of the hotel.    Currently overcast with high skies and storms predicted for sailaway time.    We also really enjoy the music and will be anxious to see who is aboard.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ecslady said:

Welcome to NJ, EWR and all the confusing signs!  Even after living in NJ all my life, I still have to make sure I pay attention to the signs.  LOL. Have a great cruise and sailaway.

Thanks Nancy.   Each airport has it's challenges but we survived. 

I use to live in the area, way back when I was in High School.  Lived  in the Watchung Mountains in a little town called Warren, N.J.   Wish we had more time and we might drive over and re-visit the area. 

I'm half way thinking about renting one of those two passenger vehicles and explore the island.

BUT, which side of the road do they drive on Jim. Bermuda was a British protectorate, do they still drive on the left?

Interesting to see how United falsely stated the cause of our flight delay.  By doing so passengers with missed connections would not be reimbursed for hotels, since it was weather related.   

Really disappointed  in United. 

0C9D574B-2FC2-4C3C-9CFB-38688BC1D9AD.thumb.png.ed2901b4397f1133f8d026d1bb854d7e.png

7 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

BUT, which side of the road do they drive on Jim. Bermuda was a British protectorate, do they still drive on the left?

No problem here.  We were just back in Scotland last month.   I would give Iain a hard time when he would gravitate to to drivers door.   Oh.....your driving.  

The only thing that that occasionally throws me is that in much of Britain (at least in Scotland) you can park facing either direction.  Has a tendency for me question if I’m in the correct direction for a second or two 

• Like 1

Have a good trip - always enjoy your blogs.

Although people do commonly park in the UK on the wrong side of the road, it is actually illegal. It just isn't actually enforced very much.

By the way Jim, I recall in a previous blog you commented about how it would take you much longer to clear UK immigration compared to Iain (using his British passport). This should now be a thing of the past as you are now able to use either the e-gates or the "UK and others" line. And you no longer need to complete the landing card.

https://www.heathrow.com/arrivals/immigration-and-passports

Link is for Heathrow but it applies to all airports.

So exciting, we came home from an RV trip with no wifi, now that the laundry is done I have something fun to read everyday and look forward to, we'll be in the same area in Oct 2020, but will keep track of ideas for then. 

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

For those arriving EWR the sign in small print indicates where the Hotel Shuttle Bus pick up is. 

0CAB8691-E10E-4A10-AE6A-96BB933D8200.jpeg

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

For those arriving EWR the sign in small print indicates where the Hotel Shuttle Bus pick up is. 

0CAB8691-E10E-4A10-AE6A-96BB933D8200.jpeg

You are lucky the sky train was working.  

About 1/2 the time when  I fly into EWR the Sky train is out of order, then you have to get on a bus.....

Enough said....

Anxiously awaiting ship posts.

Norma

• Like 1

h20cruzer    I do not doubt your Skytrain experience. Having been in and out of EWR for ++ years since it was built, we may have been on a lucky streak. If I tell you we have not had problems, I know the next time we use the service, I will be taking a bus too. Just had to add I know EWR has challenges, but we have had not had problems with Sky Train. Even used it from the Amtrak station and it was great.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fjcpooh17 said:

We just got off Summit this morning after spending 10 days in a Sky Suite. First time sailing to Bermuda, Boston and Bar Harbor, absolutely loved it! Enjoy your cruise!!! 

Any Sky Suite pix?

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

The only thing that that occasionally throws me is that in much of Britain (at least in Scotland) you can park facing either direction.  Has a tendency for me question if I’m in the correct direction for a second or two 

Am enjoying your live review and had to post when I saw this comment.  We (from Canada) were in Holland a few weeks ago and noticed the same thing...drivers parked left or right wheels to curb on two-way streets and it also made me think twice about whether we were on a one-way or two-way street.   In Canada, you have to park right wheels to curb (unless on a one way street) or face a costly traffic ticket. Glad I'm not the only one confused by foreign parking lol!!!  

Keep up the great work on the review!!