Safes

LukeyC

Hi!

Do all cabins have safes? (We're doing Royal Caribbean)  If so, does the combo change every time or can you pick the combo? Or maybe it's a key instead of a combo?

Thanks! 🙂

I've had both types, on different cruise lines

Some you can swipe with a card, any old card with a mag stripe,

but not(I think) your cabin key card

and then there's the system

where you choose your own PIN (Personal ID Number)

to open it up. Both systems work well.

In both cases, you'll find the safe open and accessible

when you first get to your cabin: if it's locked, something's wrong

and you should draw that to the attention of your cabin steward

who will then contact Security.

These safe pics from Carnival Victory April 2009

and shows the card-swipe type

Safe-43.jpg

Safe-44.jpg

Safe-45.jpg

Safe-47.jpg

4 digit pin. On three different cruises the battery in the safe went dead. 20-30 min for them to either charge the battery or replace it. So we have learned. If you need items to go on shore. Get them out of the save early. Some new ships have very small safes (Not Carnival) and other nice and large (Celebrity) for my wife to put her purse in and other items. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

On three different cruises.. the battery in the safe went dead.

(It took) 20-30 mins. for them to either charge the battery or replace it. 

Wow! I never even thought about that.

Thanks for the warning.

You've had real Bad Luck tho...three times??

19 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

4 digit pin. On three different cruises the battery in the safe went dead. 20-30 min for them to either charge the battery or replace it. So we have learned. If you need items to go on shore. Get them out of the save early. Some new ships have very small safes (Not Carnival) and other nice and large (Celebrity) for my wife to put her purse in and other items. 

Wow that is unusual - has never happened to us.  Was this on a single cruise line or across several?  Just wondering if it has to do with a particular line's type of safe.

The ones I have used on Royal, require that you set the pin every time you lock the safe.

Some hotel safes, once you set the pin, you can just hit Lock and it will lock with the same pin.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

The ones I have used on Royal, require that you set the pin every time you lock the safe.

Some hotel safes, once you set the pin, you can just hit Lock and it will lock with the same pin.

Not at all meant to challenge as that is technically correct in that you need to use the pin each time you open and close it, and you can change it each time you close it if desired.  But the code remains with the safe if you do not change it once set - you aren't really resetting it with each use, just reconfirming the pin. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Wow that is unusual - has never happened to us.  Was this on a single cruise line or across several?  Just wondering if it has to do with a particular line's type of safe.

It happened on different cruise lines. One was the one that uses a credit card. The other two were ones that use a 4 digit pin code. The one that used the credit card was dead when we arrived in the cabin the first day. One happened when we were going to go on a tour and needed our drivers licenses. We almost did not make it in time for the tour.

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Not at all meant to challenge as that is technically correct in that you need to use the pin each time you open and close it, and you can change it each time you close it if desired.  But the code remains with the safe if you do not change it once set - you aren't really resetting it with each use, just reconfirming the pin. 

No, the one in our stateroom required that you put in a pin to lock it.

Yes, you could use the same one.  Or not.

But there was no lock button.  And the # did not lock it without a pin.  I tried that.

Mainly because of a thread here on CC where someone claimed their safe had been opened, items removed, and then relocked with the same pin.

Several stated that it could only be relocked with the same PIN would be if the person opening it, knew the PIN.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SRF said:

No, the one in our stateroom required that you put in a pin to lock it.

Yes, you could use the same one.  Or not.

But there was no lock button.  And the # did not lock it without a pin.  I tried that.

Mainly because of a thread here on CC where someone claimed their safe had been opened, items removed, and then relocked with the same pin.

Several stated that it could only be relocked with the same PIN would be if the person opening it, knew the PIN.

Please re-read. I am agreeing that you need to enter a pin every time you open and again when you close it - and also that there is no lock button. 

I am only saying that the pin is not reset every time you do so unless you change the pin each time.  The same pin remains in the safe memory if it is not changed. 

But again - yes, you need to enter it each time it is opened and closed, and there is no lock button.  (Never have been on any RCI ship in our experience).

Edited by leaveitallbehind

2 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I haven't been on all of them, only Anthem, so I limited my comment to that.🙂

I get it - just was clarifying for others.  (We have not been on all of them either but have been on 16 different RCCL ships in all current classes - extrapolating my conclusion from that. 😉)

I've always opted to never use a hotel or ship safe; just always keep everything elsewhere.  But figured with passports and other items I would like to utilize the cabin safe.  Is there a daily fee or charge for usage? 

15 minutes ago, Mr. Candyman said:

I've always opted to never use a hotel or ship safe; just always keep everything elsewhere.  But figured with passports and other items I would like to utilize the cabin safe.  Is there a daily fee or charge for usage? 

Never seen a charge for the safe on any ship I’ve been on.