Daily Reports from the Westerdam to Alaska and Denali

Crew News

7 hours ago, Crew News said:

Crab fishing on the Aleutian Ballad if you are amazed at eagle swooping down to grab the fish tossed into the water.  If you have ever watched "Deadliest Catch", it will be special.

Haines is a very small town with about 50 buildings so I would take an excursion to Skagway unless you want to float on a small river and see one eagles nest high in a tree.  Others may have other ideas.

I've been to Haines on the Zaandam a few years ago, it is a tiny town. I did a kayaking excursion, and as we were suiting up on a platform two bears ambled past where the kayaks were docked. 

I did walk around town, before my excursion there's a place that sells cinnamon rolls that are HUGE. If one is up to it my kayaking adventure was fun and one that I would do again.

9 hours ago, Crew News said:

The Westerdam has a Mariner-only lunch and were turning away those not eligible. 

If I have a Mariner # for my first Holland America cruise in August, does that mean I am a Mariner and therefore eligible for the Mariner-only embarkation day MDR lunch? 

I'd guess no since they were turning people away.

Because...  well, who would not get a Mariner # if they were cruising with Hal !?!  

So therefore, would I have to be at least a 1* Mariner to be a real Mariner vs a Mariner-to-be-but-No-Soup-For-Me 🙂?

wa 😉

I tried to look for clues in My Account but only saw:

There was a system error. Please try again later. For your Mariner Status and Cruise History info, please call the Mariner Society at 1‐800‐547‐9139 (outside of the U.S. call 206‐281‐3535 ext. 8353)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

If I have a Mariner # for my first Holland America cruise in August, does that mean I am a Mariner and therefore eligible for the Mariner-only embarkation day MDR lunch? 

I'd guess no since they were turning people away.

Because...  well, who would not get a Mariner # if they were cruising with Hal !?!  

So therefore, would I have to be at least a 1* Mariner to be a real Mariner vs a Mariner-to-be-but-No-Soup-For-Me 🙂?

wa 😉

If you ever sailed on any line of the Carnival Corporation, that would include Carnival, Princess, Costa, and many others, then you are a 1* Mariner, and eligible for the lunch, and any other activities for Mariners. That includes the Mariner Brunch and gift tile close to the end of the cruise.

I have no idea why this lunch was reserved for Mariners, but that is not the current policy. The embarkation lunch is supposed to be open to all, if it is open at all.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RuthC said:

If you ever sailed on any line of the Carnival Corporation, that would include Carnival, Princess, Costa, and many others, then you are a 1* Mariner, and eligible for the lunch, and any other activities for Mariners. That includes the Mariner Brunch and gift tile close to the end of the cruise.

Thank you!  My only other cruise was on Carnival eons ago.

I will call HAL to see if they can figure out which cruise it was...

Thanks again @RuthC , and thanks so much to @Crew News for all the awesomely helpful detail! 

@Crew News

Questions:  Looks like it took you about two hours to clear the airport and then another hour for HAL to transport you to Pan Pacific.

- We're arriving at 1816 on the Friday evening before our Saturday cruise in mid-September.  Should we expect similar  times?  We're planning on a taxi to the hotel.  

- We're also staying at the Pan Pacific. We have the cruise package booked and planned on hanging out at the hotel until around 1300.  Should we expect the terminal to be crowded then?

17 hours ago, Jeafl said:

So happy to hear this!  We sail on the Westerdam Seward to Vancouver on July 21.  We are still trying to figure out what to do in Ketchikan and Haines.  Any recommendations?

Deleted by Joanie. Answered by OP.

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

@Crew News

Questions:  Looks like it took you about two hours to clear the airport and then another hour for HAL to transport you to Pan Pacific.

- We're arriving at 1816 on the Friday evening before our Saturday cruise in mid-September.  Should we expect similar  times?  We're planning on a taxi to the hotel.  

- We're also staying at the Pan Pacific. We have the cruise package booked and planned on hanging out at the hotel until around 1300.  Should we expect the terminal to be crowded then?

The passenger crush at the airport was compounded by so many arriving for a cruise the same afternoon.  Others who arrived later in the day reported that the airport crush was zero and they processed through the terminal in about half hour.  HAL will be there until 9:00 PM and will provide your transportation to the Pan Pacific.

When I return to Alaska next year, I plan to arrive in Vancouver much later in the afternoon and avoid the surge.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Crew News said:

The passenger crush at the airport was compounded by so many arriving for a cruise the same afternoon.  Others who arrived later in the day reported that the airport crush was zero and they processed through the terminal in about half hour.  HAL will be there until 9:00 PM and will provide your transportation to the Pan Pacific.

When I return to Alaska next year, I plan to arrive in Vancouver much later in the afternoon and avoid the surge.

Thank you so much.  Be sure and update us on the airport timelines for your departing flight.  That might be a zoo too.

We truly fortunate in that we are almost forced to fly in the day before.  The earliest arriving flights are only a few minutes past noon with very tight connections (54 minutes in ATL the day of a cruise??)  I'm not willing to gamble that.

We didn't book Pan Pacific through HAL. Rather than wait for vans to fill, etc., I think we'll take a taxi.  HAL wants $29PP.  According to CC posters, a taxi is about $35 CAD or $26 US (plus tip).  

Pan Pacific has a cruise package.  Includes the breakfast buffet.  Late check out till 1400.  Included baggage transfer to ship.  Adds about $30 CAD to the cost of a room.  

Edited by RocketMan275

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Thank you so much.  Be sure and update us on the airport timelines for your departing flight.  That might be a zoo too.

We truly fortunate in that we are almost forced to fly in the day before.  The earliest arriving flights are only a few minutes past noon with very tight connections (54 minutes in ATL the day of a cruise??)  I'm not willing to gamble that.

We didn't book Pan Pacific through HAL. Rather than wait for vans to fill, etc., I think we'll take a taxi.  HAL wants $29PP.  According to CC posters, a taxi is about $35 CAD or $26 US (plus tip).  

Pan Pacific has a cruise package.  Includes the breakfast buffet.  Late check out till 1400.  Included baggage transfer to ship.  Adds about $30 CAD to the cost of a room.  

Booking through HA, my transportation was provided by HAL. 

I did a Pacific Coastal HAL cruise last month and flew home from Vancouver.  Self-disembarking at 8:15 AM, I was one of 5 people in the Global Entry line and through US Customs and Border Patrol ten minutes later.  The regular Security line had hundreds waiting to remove their shoes, etc.  I was seated across from my Delta gate around 9:15 AM.  The latter was on a Friday.  Last May I disembarked at 7:00 AM and was at my Delta gate before 8:30 AM on the weekend.  

Since I self-disembarked, it is hard to comment on what happened to those behind me.

My departing flight will be from Anchorage.  When I departed via Anchorage on a Thursday last year, the airport felt deserted for my 9:00 AM flight.

Taxi fare last month from the cruise terminal to the airport was $32 CAD.

19 hours ago, Crew News said:

The MDR has put the waiter's tablets aside until they can work out the network bugs.

On the Nieuw Statendam, none of my dinner companions nor those with whom I regularly enjoyed Happy Hour at Billboard Onboard were pleased.  

3 hours ago, Crew News said:

Booking through HA, my transportation was provided by HAL. 

I did a Pacific Coastal HAL cruise last month and flew home from Vancouver.  Self-disembarking at 8:15 AM, I was one of 5 people in the Global Entry line and through US Customs and Border Patrol ten minutes later.  The regular Security line had hundreds waiting to remove their shoes, etc.  I was seated across from my Delta gate around 9:15 AM.  The latter was on a Friday.  Last May I disembarked at 7:00 AM and was at my Delta gate before 8:30 AM on the weekend.  

Since I self-disembarked, it is hard to comment on what happened to those behind me.

My departing flight will be from Anchorage.  When I departed via Anchorage on a Thursday last year, the airport felt deserted for my 9:00 AM flight.

Taxi fare last month from the cruise terminal to the airport was $32 CAD.

Thank  you very much for this information.

We have Global Entry.  We won't be doing the self disembarking.  There are only three flights back to Alabama leaving after 9 AM.  The one at 16:15 is outrageously expensive.  There's another one at 6:55 and the other at 10:55.  No need to rush.  Thinking about getting a day room at the airport.  

I so appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions.  

If you find time, updates on wine would be appreciate.  We won't have time to take anything aboard so we'll be stuck with the HAL wines.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Crew News said:

I did a Pacific Coastal HAL cruise last month and flew home from Vancouver.  Self-disembarking at 8:15 AM, I was one of 5 people in the Global Entry line and through US Customs and Border Patrol ten minutes later.  The regular Security line had hundreds waiting to remove their shoes, etc. 

Thinking through my situation related to what you described above: 

I am a US citizen with both Pre-Check and Global Entry. 

2 years ago I applied for Nexus and was approved contingent upon the interview in Canada.  It sounded similar to the Global Entry interview process.

However, the interview opportunities with Canadian officials in Vancouver were so limited and time delayed,  I could not align my travel 2 years ago with the interview times available.  After a certain # of months,  I was told I'd need to re-apply. (and I'd guess pay the $80 fee again)

My August cruise on the Westerdam goes Seward to Vancouver. 

2 Questions: 

1) Thinking about what you said above:  Does that mean when I disembark the Westerdam in Vancouver, there will be a Global Entry line I could use, even though I'm entering Canada, not the US?   

So, in this entering-Canada situation,  I don't need Nexus?  

2) Or, was that a special option for cruise passengers coming directly from a US port? ... 

For example, I will stay several days in Vancouver after the cruise.   

When I fly out of Vancouver, will there be another Global Entry line available for me, even though I'm not coming directly from a cruise via a US port? 

3 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

Thinking through my situation related to what you described above: 

I am a US citizen with both Pre-Check and Global Entry. 

2 years ago I applied for Nexus and was approved contingent upon the interview in Canada.  It sounded similar to the Global Entry interview process.

However, the interview opportunities with Canadian officials in Vancouver were so limited and time delayed,  I could not align my travel 2 years ago with the interview times available.  After a certain # of months,  I was told I'd need to re-apply. (and I'd guess pay the $80 fee again)

My August cruise on the Westerdam goes Seward to Vancouver. 

2 Questions: 

1) Thinking about what you said above:  Does that mean when I disembark the Westerdam in Vancouver, there will be a Global Entry line I could use, even though I'm entering Canada, not the US?   

So, in this entering-Canada situation,  I don't need Nexus?  

2) Or, was that a special option for cruise passengers coming directly from a US port? ... 

For example, I will stay several days in Vancouver after the cruise.   

When I fly out of Vancouver, will there be another Global Entry line available for me, even though I'm not coming directly from a cruise via a US port? 

When I disembarked the Eorodam last month in Vancouver, customs forms were completed while on board and collected by HAL, so we just walked straight off the ship to the taxi line.

At the airport, your Global Entry card gets you in the very short Security line and then through US CBP by just showing your passport.

A year ago I flew from Vancouver to the nearest Southwest airport with more flight choices back to New Mexico.  

A cheaper option that I have used is a taxi to the Vancouver airport and a rental car (3 hours) to the Seattle airport (Interstate all the way).  If you spend an extra night in Seattle, the lower Southwest price covers the price of the hotel and you can leave with more flight choices.  There is a Comfort Inn near the airport for around $125 with an IHOP on the other side of their parking lot.  Just turn in your rental car within 24 hours of renting it in Vancouver.  For example same cruise-day flight to NM was $368 p/p.  Early Monday morning the price was $150 p/p and $92 on Tuesday AM.  You will have to trade rental cars within 24 hours to get a cheaper rate than the one-way rental cost.

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Thank  you very much for this information.

We have Global Entry.  We won't be doing the self disembarking.  There are only three flights back to Alabama leaving after 9 AM.  The one at 16:15 is outrageously expensive.  There's another one at 6:55 and the other at 10:55.  No need to rush.  Thinking about getting a day room at the airport.  

I so appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions.  

If you find time, updates on wine would be appreciate.  We won't have time to take anything aboard so we'll be stuck with the HAL wines.

No changes to my wine lists updated last month.  There is a wide selection of Alaskan Brewery beers not on the regular menus.  A Louis X cognac is $105/shot and during Happy Hour, the second shot is only $2.

See my previous post above on flight options when leaving Vancouver.

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

On the Nieuw Statendam, none of my dinner companions nor those with whom I regularly enjoyed Happy Hour at Billboard Onboard were pleased.  

The same was true on the Eurodam last month.  So I have been told, the ship network bandwidth is divided between the ship functions and the passengers.  The MDR tablets usage comes from the ship portion and overwhelms the ship's share.  So back to paper for awhile.

Our sea day began with heavy overcast skies with some true rock and roll seas and temps in the 40’s.  It ended with broken clouds and relatively smooth seas while still cold.  The forecast for Ketchikan tomorrow is high 49 degrees and possible showers (typical Ketchikan weather).

The Meet & Greet occurred without a hitch for about 30 roll call members.  I did not get to welcome everyone but spent my time talking about what to expect the rest of the cruisetour.  My declaration that the seas should calm in about four hours came to fruition.  I walked directly for the Meet & Greet to the Kitchen Tour. 

While completing the mandatory Health Certificate, I met a fellow passenger wearing a Pershing t-shirt and we were stationed nearby in Germany many years ago.  The Executive Chef and one of the Assistant Dining Room Managers recognized me from a previous Zuiderdam cruise and special desserts provided to CC members.  My time in the kitchen was extended as we discussed memories of the “Z”.

Tonight was Gala Night and I can report two tuxedos, 50% jackets/ties, and the other half in just shirts.  The beef tenderloin was very good but the service was terrible.  I received my entrée one hour after sitting down at my table and my dessert at ne hour and 25 minutes. The dessert was wrong but I had no wish to wait another 15 minutes.  Perhaps just an anomaly?  I will not be back to my table for three days to verify it.

Observations:

•        From Embarkation Day, the Photographer funneled every passenger through their backdrops while fellow passengers had no other means (constrained by stanchions) had no way to bypass until they were next in line.

•        I have the new Shops liquor and Spa price lists.

•        There will be no watch sales on Deck 9, only Alaska stuff.

•        The smoking area on Deck 9 has new wooden furniture and a faux green hedge.

•        The Taco Bar closes at 5:00 PM which meant no nachos for evening snack.

•        There are 42 Aussies on board that have been on tour for three weeks with some very interested in how the US differs from what they see on CNN.  One couple was shocked when I told them that all Americans do not own AK47 wea;pons.

• ·      The Dining Room Manager declared that 8-top tables should finish in 1.5 hours and two-top MDR tables should finish in one hour.

• ·      Half of the table on Deck 2 Anytime Dining can accept reservations and the other half cannot.

• ·      The Denali briefings are at 8:00 AM on the first and last sea days.

• ·      My mailbox is now filled with papers for auctions, sales, demos, tastings, etc. each day.

• ·      The elevator doors open for one inch and pause for a few seconds before completely opening…strange.

• ·      The Photo Gallery does not have the do-it-yourself kiosks found on the Signature and Pinnacle-class ships.

• ·      The orange juice in the Lido Market tastes like watery Tang.

The Westerdam is supposed to meet another ship around 2:00 AM with a large crane transferring a large container to our Deck 10 according to the Captain’s announcement.  Maybe real orange juice coming aboard? 

More tomorrow.

• Like 4

@Crew News, just when you thought you've heard all possible questions  🙂   : 

if you see an opportunity, could you ask a Westerdam ship officer the following 3 q's: 

1) Related to the US Coast Guard fire safety code for cruise ships,  when did the Coast Guard last inspect the Westerdam for compliance?

2)  Separate from the official Coast Guard inspections, how often does the Westerdam ship crew self-inspect their fire safety gear and procedures? 

What and how do they self-inspect? 

Ex:  Do they ever actually turn on any of the sprinklers?  (assuming they have sprinklers)

3) Based on the Westerdam's original build date, what new fire code are they exempted from following? 

Previous searches for finding the fire code led me to this site, 

https://mariners.coastguard.blog/2019/03/14/3-14-2019-safety-alert-01-19-dont-get-burned-be-ready-with-a-proper-firefighting-outfit/

https://mariners.coastguard.blog/2018/07/10/7-10-2018-cruise-ship-national-center-of-expertise-summer-newsletter-highlights-most-common-reasons-for-psc-detentions-deficiencies/

but I haven't seen 1 continuous set of cruise ship fire safety code.

=== context

I am more fire-aware (I first typed "paranoid") than the average person.   

ex:  I travel with 1 portable smoke hood always in my carry-on backpack, always in the same section.  It would probably be smoke protection for only 5 min if that. But still BTN (better than nothing).  However it has the small form factor I needed; similar to those yellow 5x8 steno pads my Dad used to use; maybe 2 pads thick.

If I am staying in a hotel with over 5 floors, I pack a slightly bigger but not huge smoke hood (5x5x3-ish) in my suitcase, and keep it near the TV on the side between the TV and the hotel room door.

=== FYI

The only travel journalist I know who covers fire safety topics is the travel editor for CBS News, Peter Greenberg, also a previous former volunteer? fire fighter.

https://petergreenberg.com/2017/07/05/high-rise-fire-safety/

He hosts a frequent, entertaining podcast on travel that I listen to via my iPhone's podcast player, OverCast, while driving, working out, waiting for a dentist appointment, etc...

OverCast screen shot.png

Ex:  In May he's recorded podcasts from Coconut Grove & Miami, Melbourne Australia, and Haines City Florida.   He stays on location and interviews 2-3 leaders from the community in each location, including fire chiefs.  

TravelToday with Peter Greenberg.png

Edited by SempreMare

Who is the Cruise Director?  Is there a band in the Ocean Bar?   The Alaskan beer sounds promising.   I don't worry about fires at sea much - the industry has an impressive record - and they do a lot of practicing and have a lot of training.  And heavy fuel oil is not a big fire hazard with a high flash point by rule.  

On 6/2/2019 at 11:38 AM, Crew News said:

So my cruise experience begins on the 20th floor of the Pan Pacific Hotel the night before Embarkation Day.  On my visit to the underground mall across the street, I discovered two new restaurants (Arabic and Thai) and my favorite source for gyros closed for remodeling.

I arrived at the Vancouver airport where I spent nearly one hour to get to the Customs Declaration kiosk printers.  Another 20 minutes was spent in line to show the Canadian officials my passport and another ten minutes to find my luggage  that was mixed with three other incoming flights.  With luggage in tow, I joined another queue to exit the Immigration area only to find that at the end of the line I was required to surrender my previously printed Declaration Form.  Many of those that preceded my had to search their pockets and carry-on luggage to find the slip of paper.  This process was to prove that I picked up my luggage but nobody checked the luggage tags. 

A HAL representative was at the end of another hallway and verified my name on their transportation list.  Eight of us waited 20 more minutes for our van to arrive and 35 minutes later I was at the Pan Pacific Hotel (cruise terminal).  Three hours after my flight landed, my luggage and I were in a spacious suite on the 20th floor. 

I concluded that any flight arriving on Embarkation Day after 1:00 PM might be too risky for a 4:30 PM departure.

Prices for food in the hotel seemed quite high before I realized that they were in Canadian dollars (25% higher than the US dollar).

FWIW Delta airlines offered $1800 for one person to give up their seat and be put on another flight four hours later.  Somebody else beat me to the podium to accept the offer.  I made a note for my Vancouver-to-Alaska trip next year.

More tomorrow with

Is this the normal when arriving in Vancouver?   We will be arriving from Detroit, but are Canadians. do you think we will incur the same delays?   Maybe it would be better to fly via Canada from Toronto?  Any thoughts on that?

Sorry I just read further into this thread.   We have health problems so it sounds like this is not a good trip for us.   Thanks for the information.

Edited by boards

2 hours ago, boards said:

Is this the normal when arriving in Vancouver?   We will be arriving from Detroit, but are Canadians. do you think we will incur the same delays?   Maybe it would be better to fly via Canada from Toronto?  Any thoughts on that?

Sorry I just read further into this thread.   We have health problems so it sounds like this is not a good trip for us.   Thanks for the information.

There is a separate line for arriving Canadians that appeared to have no waiting at all,  at least for thoalse from my flight that I watched. After discussion at our Meet & Greet, arrival at the airport late afternoon, has hardly any wait at all.

Everyone has some health issue to a degree but I don't think this cruise would exacerbate any health issue.  The crew and facilities are very efficient in making accommodations. 

There was some discomfort for the few we were exposed to the Pacific Ocean but ginger and a nap really helped.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ew101 said:

Who is the Cruise Director?  Is there a band in the Ocean Bar?   The Alaskan beer sounds promising.   I don't worry about fires at sea much - the industry has an impressive record - and they do a lot of practicing and have a lot of training.  And heavy fuel oil is not a big fire hazard with a high flash point by rule.  

I think the CD is Chris but I will verify   I will check for a band tonight.

7 hours ago, SempreMare said:

@Crew News, just when you thought you've heard all possible questions  🙂   : 

if you see an opportunity, could you ask a Westerdam ship officer the following 3 q's: 

1) Related to the US Coast Guard fire safety code for cruise ships,  when did the Coast Guard last inspect the Westerdam for compliance?

2)  Separate from the official Coast Guard inspections, how often does the Westerdam ship crew self-inspect their fire safety gear and procedures? 

What and how do they self-inspect? 

Ex:  Do they ever actually turn on any of the sprinklers?  (assuming they have sprinklers)

3) Based on the Westerdam's original build date, what new fire code are they exempted from following? 

I will have to ask aboui the last CG inspection.  There are unannounced CG inspections during every cruise I am told but those are not full inspections.

There are fire drills for the crew in every port while most passengers are not on board.  There are sprinklers in every stateroom that cannot be tested without soaking the passengers.

I have no idea how to discover the answer to your third question.

On my Behind the Scenes Tour of the Oosterdam, I saw the massive fire sensor board on the bridge and there are smoke detectors everywhere.   I have been aboard when fires happened.  One was an ice machine and the other in the Officer's Lounge.  Both happened during our Meet & Greets with a rapid response and resolution.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crew News said:

There is a separate line for arriving Canadians that appeared to have no waiting at all,  at least for thoalse from my flight that I watched. After discussion at our Meet & Greet, arrival at the airport late afternoon, has hardly any wait at all.

Everyone has some health issue to a degree but I don't think this cruise would exacerbate any health issue.  The crew and facilities are very efficient in making accommodations. 

There was some discomfort for the few we were exposed to the Pacific Ocean but ginger and a nap really helped.

Thank you very much for comforting and helpful remarks.