Daily Reports from the Westerdam to Alaska and Denali

Crew News

Sel de Mer 4 and 5-Star discounts not honored on Westerdam.

When I inquired about my missing Loyalty Discount for Sel de Mer tonight, the Front Desk Supervisor refused to grant it citing a paper that shows the discount applies to "Specialty Restaurants" and Sel de Mer is not a Specialty Restaurant.  Being in Ketchikan, I was able to call the Mariner Society and they promised to send an email to the Westerdam that includes my Mariner # being authorized the discount.  In addition, I completed a Comment Card and also dropped a note in the Hotel Director's box expressing my displeasure with an issue that has been resolved for several years. 

I have lots of excess OBC so the money means nothing, but getting the Westerdam up to standard does matter.

For those 4 & 5-Star Mariners sailing on the Westerdam to Alaska, I strongly suggest that you ask the Mariner Society to provide a letter stating that the Loyalty Discount applies to you.

I have not yet seen the Loyalty Discount applied to my account and will call the Mariner Society again tomorrow if it does not appear by then. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Crew News said:

When I inquired about my missing Loyalty Discount for Sel de Mer tonight, the Front Desk Supervisor refused to grant it citing a paper that shows the discount applies to "Specialty Restaurants" and Sel de Mer is not a Specialty Restaurant.  Being in Ketchikan, I was able to call the Mariner Society and they promised to send an email to the Westerdam that includes my Mariner # being authorized the discount.  In addition, I completed a Comment Card and also dropped a note in the Hotel Director's box expressing my displeasure with an issue that has been resolved for several years. 

I have lots of excess OBC so the money means nothing, but getting the Westerdam up to standard does matter.

My MAJOR complaint with HAL is the inconsistency of the shipboard experience in all areas.  Why should any level of Mariner need to call the Mariner Society and have them "promise" to send an email to the ship to authorize the discount if the discount ought to have been honored originally?    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

My MAJOR complaint with HAL is the inconsistency of the shipboard experience in all areas.  Why should any level of Mariner need to call the Mariner Society and have them "promise" to send an email to the ship to authorize the discount if the discount ought to have been honored originally?    

Agree wholeheartedly with this post.  The Mariner Society earlier this year sent an email to ALL HAL ships explaining that Sel pop-up is eligible for the Mariner discount.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

This situation is a sign of both poor judgement and a lack of Guest Relations supervision.  Any situation involving HAL’s most loyal customers (4 and 5-Star Mariners) should be elevated to a level that will resolve the issue.  Implying that I was lying about receiving the discount on my last three cruises, was disrespectful.  The Front Desk could easily have offered to verify the Loyalty Discount with an email to Seattle and I would have understood. This situation reflects poorly on the Guest Relations Manager and Hotel Director, Colin Jacob.

When I call the Mariner Society tomorrow, I will ask for a copy of their promised email to the ship and tape a copy on the Hotel Directors curtain.

How many other 4 and 5-Star Mariners have been denied their earned discount and accepted the “No” from a junior staffer?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Agree wholeheartedly with this post.  The Mariner Society earlier this year sent an email to ALL HAL ships explaining that Sel pop-up is eligible for the Mariner discount.

I have seen a copy of the email but it is not with me at the moment.  I'm not surel that a low staffer would accept it.

The day began with overcast and raining skies.  It ended in partly cloudy skies and temperatures around 60 degrees.  The forecast for tomorrow in Juneau is cloudy with temps in the mid 50’s.

My Room Service breakfast was followed by an excursion to a native-American island for reindeer sausage roasted over an open fire and s’mores with a choice of chocolates. 

Enroute to the island, our small boat stopped watch harbor seals, nesting kittiwakes, and 20 minutes observing a feeding whale.  We were met on the island by an older female, two female teens, and a male adult tribe member.  One of the teens is headed to Albuquerque next year to study at the Southwest Indian Polytechnical Institute.  Five years ago I watched the father of the adult male carve his totem on a Ketchikan excursion.  That totem is now in place and the tallest in the totem park.  What a small world indeed.  This excursion required a ¼-mile walk which was from the ship to the excursion boat.  The difficult walk was over the rocks on the beach to the bonfire in the tree line.  There were 16 passengers on a 30-passenger boat.  I would recommend this Bonfire excursion.

My squabble with the Front Desk to receive my Mariner Loyalty Discount is documented in a previous post.

Dinner at Rudi’s Sel de Mer was memorable in speed of service, friendliness if the staff, recalling past cruises with the PG Manager who was my waiter on my last Zuiderdam cruise.  The Hostess was very helpful in designing a workaround for my Loyalty issue and I will post it tomorrow if it proves successful.  Unlike the Konigsdam Sel de Mer, my bouillabaisse crab claw was cracked open.  The black cod catch of the day was amazing as was the finishing souffle.  I will be in the PG tomorrow for my free dinner.

Observations:

• ·     The Australian tour group was unaware that they could have the contents of their minibar emptied to allow room for the two bottles of water they receive each day.  They are now aware.

• ·    I had a great discussion of what Americans are really like with an Australian couple on my excursion.

• ·     There is no special wine list for the Sel de Mer.

• ·     I counted only 12 books available for exchange in the Crow’s Nest.

• ·     My laundry turned in this morning was returned at 3:00 PM.  Amazing service.

• ·     The Westerdam drydock in Jan 2020 will include installation of photo kiosks in the Photo Gallery.

More tomorrow.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ew101 said:

Who is the Cruise Director?  Is there a band in the Ocean Bar?   The Alaskan beer sounds promising.   I don't worry about fires at sea much - the industry has an impressive record - and they do a lot of practicing and have a lot of training.  And heavy fuel oil is not a big fire hazard with a high flash point by rule.  

The Cruise Director is Johnathon Baumont.  There is a piano in the Ocean Bar but no bandstand to accommadate a band.  .  The Lincoln Stage was packed with those listening to classical music each night so far.

@Crew News your Ketchikan excursion sounds wonderful.

What on earth was going through that person's brain to assert that Sel De Mer is not a specialty restaurant?

I've never cruised on HAL before, not till August on the Westerdam, and I believe that:

- The Pinnacle is a restaurant with an extra charge, i.e., a "specialty" restaurant

- On the Westerdam, the Sel De Mer is a pop-up inside of that specialty restaurant called the Pinnacle. This, in my mind would make it ever MORE special i.e., of course it's a specialty restaurant with an extra charge! 

-  High status Mariners get discounts of some kind at these specialty restaurants

In addition to 
a) exhibiting a low level of basic knowledge 
b) not knowing how to treat a high status member correctly,

that agent must have been as perceptive as a piece of wood. 
i.e., possess low emotional intelligence (EQ)

Given how Crew News comes across here and in all communications, it would be obvious to most who interact with him that this guest is a factual person who knows his stuff! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Crew News said:

I will have to ask aboui the last CG inspection.  There are unannounced CG inspections during every cruise I am told but those are not full inspections.

There are fire drills for the crew in every port while most passengers are not on board.  There are sprinklers in every stateroom that cannot be tested without soaking the passengers.

I have no idea how to discover the answer to your third question.

On my Behind the Scenes Tour of the Oosterdam, I saw the massive fire sensor board on the bridge and there are smoke detectors everywhere.   I have been aboard when fires happened.  One was an ice machine and the other in the Officer's Lounge.  Both happened during our Meet & Greets with a rapid response and resolution.

Don't forget the time the Bridge called us in the early (and I do mean early) morning hours to see if we were OK because they were receiving a Fire Alert from our bathroom. They asked if one of us had been smoking in there (smoking was not allowed in the staterooms, only on the verandah.) If I remember correctly, they sent an Officer to double check. It was a false alarm which we could live with because it showed they paid attention to all fire alarms, no matter if they are false or not.

@ RocketMan275 What part of Huntsville? We've been stationed there twice:)

Joanie

14 hours ago, Crew News said:

For those 4 & 5-Star Mariners sailing on the Westerdam to Alaska, I strongly suggest that you ask the Mariner Society to provide a letter stating that the Loyalty Discount applies to you.

I have not yet seen the Loyalty Discount applied to my account and will call the Mariner Society again tomorrow if it does not appear by then. 

Thanks for the heads up. 3 star Mariners too. The discount is 25% and not 50% but every little bit helps. 

I really appreciate all the information you collect and make so easily available to everyone. It is so helpful. Enjoy your cruise!!

Edited by fatcat04

Hi, sorry this is a silly question but do they have a jug of warm milk at the  beverage station the same as Cunard and MSC.  Plus is there any lemon and ginger teabags, this will be my first cruise with HAL on the Westerdam in November. Thank you

Roger:

I took a look at the HAL website, trying to find what the Mariner Society pages say about the dining discount.  I cannot find where Sel is mentioned specifically.  I feel that the website should have been updated when the Mariner Society sent out the memo to all HAL ships about Sel being eligible for the discount. ( I note that Le Cirque, which is long discontinued is mentioned as not eligible). Is this part of the problem with the ships not knowing how the discount works?

Would you be able to mention who the Exc Chef is, as well as the Pinnacle Manager?

Hope all goes well today with the "work-around".  Definitely would appreciate knowing about this!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Thank you for your informative daily reports. I'm reading attentively and studying the menus you've posted.

Here's a fishy question--on the Westerdam, in Alaska, are they stocking the king salmon and crab legs fresh?

And another: does the MDR offer more seafood on this itinerary?

We have Fleur de Sel and Pinnacle dinners coming up, as well as Pinnacle lunch and are looking forward to the seafood. I'm also looking at our stock of wine to bring on board, and need to decide if it will it be more red or more white. I'd buy HAL's package, but we won't finish four bottles on a short cruise, not with Alaska small brewery beer on board, too.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Rosmerta said:

Thank you for your informative daily reports. I'm reading attentively and studying the menus you've posted.

Here's a fishy question--on the Westerdam, in Alaska, are they stocking the king salmon and crab legs fresh?

And another: does the MDR offer more seafood on this itinerary?

We have Fleur de Sel and Pinnacle dinners coming up, as well as Pinnacle lunch and are looking forward to the seafood. I'm also looking at our stock of wine to bring on board, and need to decide if it will it be more red or more white. I'd buy HAL's package, but we won't finish four bottles on a short cruise, not with Alaska small brewery beer on board, too.

Thanks.

Before researching ginger tea, I will answer your questions.  It is a rare occasion when there is fresh fish on North American cruises I have learned from the culinary folks.  The Sel de Mer may have hresh "catch-of-the-day" but regular meals will use frozen products to meet health standards.

There is salmon on all MDR menus in Alaska if my memory serves me well.

On 6/4/2019 at 8:20 AM, Crew News said:

I will have to ask aboui the last CG inspection.  There are unannounced CG inspections during every cruise I am told but those are not full inspections.

There are fire drills for the crew in every port while most passengers are not on board.  There are sprinklers in every stateroom that cannot be tested without soaking the passengers.

I have no idea how to discover the answer to your third question.

On my Behind the Scenes Tour of the Oosterdam, I saw the massive fire sensor board on the bridge and there are smoke detectors everywhere.   I have been aboard when fires happened.  One was an ice machine and the other in the Officer's Lounge.  Both happened during our Meet & Greets with a rapid response and resolution.

Just a heads up on this; even though the USCG can carry out unannounced ship inspections at anytime in U.S. ports - the 17th Coast Guard District has stations at Juneau and Ketchikan to carry out such inspections on Westerdam's current run - this is not done. Westerdam and other cruise ships can count on one USCG inspection during the Alaska season

Also, HAL crews do not run safety drills "in every port!" In Westie's case on her current AK run, that would mean drills on days 2, 3 and 4 which is not done. SOLAS requirements call for one fire drill a week. HAL usually alternates them with a pure fire drill, involving all four fire teams, two incident commanders (one Deck, one Engine) and various support teams, and a fire drill which evolves into an "abandon ship" drill for all crew, except those on essential duties to have ship services continue to function at a minimum. It is true that those drills are carried out on sea days, as opposed to sea days, in order to have them create the least amount of impact on guests.

Most fire drill are organised and take place in "crew only" areas, so on A-Deck (larger ships) and below, however they do take place in guest/public areas  and, frequently involve the closing of fire doors in guest corridors and the inserting of yellow/day-glo "evacuated" cards inside guest door locks. The two on scene commanders switch off being in charge of the drill. Each of the fire teams consist of five members and each has an officer (Deck and Engine) in charge. They will have attended basic and advanced fire training at shore-side facilities which they have to repeat every five years in order to stay current. You might be surprised to hear that, besides the officer in charge, a fire team consists out of such onboard professions as upholsterer, tailor, carpenter, various engine room positions, etc. There are other crew in charge of the "SCBA board" which keeps track on how long a team member is "on air" so breathing out of his SCBA bottle. There are hose teams, as well as bottle teams, who will conduct a change over of air bottles when they are running low. The team leader of each of the four fire teams is in possession of a FLIR (forward looking infra-red) device which detects heat sources, incl. body heat, inside a room filled with smoke. Fire hoses are frequently charged during these drills.

Each drill is monitored by an "uninvolved" officer; I have seen the environmental officer, staff captain and even the captain (the late James Russell-Dunford was one) in this role. He/she will observe tactics and make notes, all to be discussed during the debrief which takes place after each drill in places like the ship's training room, the bridge, Marshaling Area, O.B., etc. There are no punches pulled during these debriefs. Other monitors in these drills are USCG officers and petty-officers, members of Lloyd's Register of London, and foreign safety organisations (see pic below).

Fire fighting detector and suppression systems, incl. fire hoses, are regularly tested by ship's crew, incl. by security guards, usually on sea days.

Fire, and its drills, are taken very seriously onboard HAL ships!

Image may contain: 4 people

Amsterdam's Fire Team No.3 (engine/technical dept) staging near the CP (command post) and the OSC (on scene commander) at the Deck 7 fwd elevator lobby awaiting their assignment. They are "masked up" but not "on air" yet. Team No.4 (also engine) is in the background. The various crew standing around are all support personnel with the gent on the far left carrying the SCBA board

No photo description available.

A tablet (the on scene commander, security officer and bridge are assigned one on Amsterdam) on which to track the progress or, hopefully lack there of, of the fire by indicating hot zones and evacuated areas

Yellow/day-glo evacuation cards inserted inside the door locks of guest cabins to indicate that the cabin has been searched and cleared/evacuated

A true dummy in his pirate outfit, having been overcome by smoke during a fire drill, being attended to by HAL's awesome medical staff on Noordam's A-Deck

Image may contain: 6 people

The crew of one of Amsterdam's life raft station during a abandon ship drill. Unlike guests, crew still wear their life jackets during drills

Image may contain: outdoor

Zuiderdam's fast rescue boat and lifeboats/tenders being splashed during an abandon ship drill

Image may contain: 4 people

Australian Maritime Authority (AMA) inspectors during a fire/abandon ship drill's debrief on the bridge of Amsterdam

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jay888 said:

Hi, sorry this is a silly question but do they have a jug of warm milk at the  beverage station the same as Cunard and MSC.  Plus is there any lemon and ginger teabags, this will be my first cruise with HAL on the Westerdam in November. Thank you

I have never seen a pitcher of warm milk at the Beverage Station.  There are pitchers of cream and milk but both are cold the last time I used them.  There are fresh lemons at the Beverage Stations but no ginger tea.  I asked the Lido Market Manager and was told that fresh ginger is available upon request if you wish to make your own tea.  If you have a favorite tea, feel free to bring it with youi.

8 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Roger:

I took a look at the HAL website, trying to find what the Mariner Society pages say about the dining discount.  I cannot find where Sel is mentioned specifically.  I feel that the website should have been updated when the Mariner Society sent out the memo to all HAL ships about Sel being eligible for the discount. ( I note that Le Cirque, which is long discontinued is mentioned as not eligible). Is this part of the problem with the ships not knowing how the discount works?

Would you be able to mention who the Exc Chef is, as well as the Pinnacle Manager?

Hope all goes well today with the "work-around".  Definitely would appreciate knowing about this!

The Exc Chef is named Vitta and the PG Managers name will be verified at dinner tonight.

2 hours ago, Rosmerta said:

Even on land in Alaska all king crab or snow crab are pre cooked and flash frozen before being shipped for consumption. The crab season only lasts a couple of weeks in the late Fall and early winter so the only way to have any crab in the summer is previously frozen. Crab has to be cooked while still alive and the processing plants are located close to the crab fishing grounds. I am not a crab expert, but I have probably watched every episode of The Deadliest Catch, LOL.

However summer is the King Salmon and other wild caught salmon season, so you will find fresh salmon served at most land restaurants in Alaska. I have been told on prior cruises that all seafood served on a ship is delivered frozen to the ships provisioning, for Alaska cruises that would be either Seattle, Vancouver or Seward. I do not know if this is totally true but it makes sense because of health precautions and preservation. 

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

Sel de Mer on the Westerdam workarounds

1.  I was told that you can make a reservation through your travel agent/HAL PCC without paying and the PG will charge you the discounted price.

2.  DO NOT go to the Front Desk for Sel de Mer Loyalty Discounts on the Westerdam.  Pay online and go to the PG when you board where your payment will be returned to "refundable OBC" and you will be charged the discounted rate for your reservation date.

So far, I have received not a word from the Front Desk regarding my Comment Card and the note dropped into the Hotel Manager's personal comment box.  So much for being a "valued" HAL guest just because I have spent so much time and $$ on Holland America.

In every case, I strongly recommend a call to the Mariner Society to get a copy of the Mariner Loyalty Discount status for Sel de Mer to present if needed. 

9 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Roger:

I copied the following from the Mariner Society FAQs:

What restaurants qualify for the 3,4,and 5-Star discounts?

The Pinnacle Grill, Canaletto and Tamarind all qualify for Star Level discounts. Le Cirque and De Librije and themed evenings in the Pinnacle Grill such as Chinese Dinner, Japanese Dinner, Indonesian Dinner, Australian Dinner, South America Dinner and Radio Show Dinner also receive Star Level discounts. Master Chef Dinner, Cellar Master Dinner, and restaurant packages are excluded from the discounts.