Balcony door open at night?

Ginb56

4 hours ago, Monorail Orange said:

I'd be more worried at a nosey seagull rocking up to pinch the biscuits when the ship is docking.

I wouldn't worry about my biscuits going missing overnight so much as waking up to find where he had perched.

Regards John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, john watson said:

I wouldn't worry about my biscuits going missing overnight so much as waking up to find where he had perched.

Regards John

To be honest, the seagulls can have as many of my P&O biscuits as they like (which may not be very many once they try them).

On our last cruise on Arcadia.. our cabin was boiling hot despite air con being on lowest setting. When the engineers came to check it out they told us it was because someone near us was keeping their balcony door open. I understand why people want to do this .. but it it made our week very uncomfortable 😏😏

I have plenty of previous proving that I am no P&O sycophant, but I am also realistic enough to appreciate that at the prices they offer, the quality they supply is extremely good value for money. However I do agree with docco and Tom that their customer service is very poor, but constantly harping on about it on the forum does dilute their argument with fellow forummers. Far better to point these failings out regularly to P&O at the highest level, eventually they will take action, just as they did with auto gratuities.

Edited by terrierjohn

7 hours ago, madster66 said:

On our last cruise on Arcadia.. our cabin was boiling hot despite air con being on lowest setting. When the engineers came to check it out they told us it was because someone near us was keeping their balcony door open. I understand why people want to do this .. but it it made our week very uncomfortable 😏😏

As the air con is not individual to each cabin (similar to the sort of thing you could have in a house these days) I can understand that the vents would be connected up in some way.  Ref the following posts with the everything you are told is a lie, I would just ignore them.  Funnily enough the person so hated pando he cancelled his 3 future cruise (or so he said) so I am not sure why he is even still on here. He was also going to take pando to court over the Amsterdam port change (or so he said)

If the air con is connected would that not be a health hazard thinking of legionaries or any airborne virus,they most probably draw the air in from a common sauce but would be dubious if there was cross contamination,but if one cabin switches there’s off I could see there being a problem of air being drawn in from that cabin.

not being a ventilation expert I can only guess.

I still don't know how someone can turn their aircon off?  There is no switch.  You can only turn it up to warmer or down for cooler?  Therefore it runs all the time.  So if you open the Balcony door, it would fool the thermostat surely.

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

If the air con is connected would that not be a health hazard thinking of legionaries or any airborne virus,they most probably draw the air in from a common sauce but would be dubious if there was cross contamination,but if one cabin switches there’s off I could see there being a problem of air being drawn in from that cabin.

not being a ventilation expert I can only guess.

Legionnaires can develop wherever water becomes trapped or pools. Air con ducting for shared systems are designed to eliminate 'dog legs', 'dead ends', etc. Where water or condensate can gather. I have worked with clean rooms a lot, where environmental conditions are controlled carefully. Ducting is regularly tested for legionnaires. Also they have hepa filters in place which stop particulates, bacteria and viruses from crossing between filters (depends on grade of filter) .

I don't know what the maintenance period is on a cruise ship. They could either have  a fixed schedule or monitor for air pressure. If air pressure changes this is an indicator to schedule maintenance.

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I still don't know how someone can turn their aircon off?  There is no switch.  You can only turn it up to warmer or down for cooler?  Therefore it runs all the time.  So if you open the Balcony door, it would fool the thermostat surely.

On modern cruise ships like Britannia if you leave the balcony door open it turns off the aircon.

If you leave your balcony doors open overnight, in theory someone with one of those triangular keys to come along all the balconies using the cleaners access and enter your cabin like a cat burglar.

Just a thought John

5 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I am sure we have all criticised P&O at some point as they are far from perfect, but we are still big fans.

Remember, this thread started as a simple, reasonable question, can the op open their balcony door at night. 

It has descended into a slanging match.

People offered their opinion and experiences, but then we get 'P&O must be lying as they lie about everything', responded by 'what do you know, you hate P&O'.

It gets a bit down heartening to be honest.

Most of us just want to use this forum to get and give advice, I have learnt so much from many amazing people on here.

Lets all smile and enjoy the summer.

Andy

Well said.

On the RCCL forums our resident chief engineer Cheng explained fully what happens when someone leaves the balcony door open and it is the passenger not the cruiseline who are at fault with any consequences for nearby cabins.

Graham

• Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 11:46 PM, john watson said:

Regards John

haha true.

Perching is certainly one issue, its the inevitable outgoings that would bother me...

*shudder*

Edit: Sorry to lower the tone. 😋

Edited by Monorail Orange
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2019 at 11:07 PM, tartanexile81 said:

My OH hs a serious health condition which is affected by the air con so we aways book a balcony cabin and leave the door ajar slightly at night. We also have a mini dehumidifier in the cabin which we keep on all day. I have seen messages in the Horizon about keeping the door closed and though I feel guilty that we don't do it, my husband's health is paramount to me.

By having your door ajar slightly at night your air conditioning duct will be putting more air into your cabin than it otherwise would do, with the extra air escaping through the door you have ajar. It won't really affect the humidity or temperature of your room - so it won't be helping your OH's health condition - but it will mean other rooms will suffer with higher temperatures as they have less cool air.

So if the humidity is too high then yes, use a dehumidifier - but opening the balcony door, causing more air to be put into your cabin from the vent - means it won't be effective!

VP

Edited by Vampire Parrot

1 hour ago, Vampire Parrot said:

By having your door ajar slightly at night your air conditioning duct will be putting more air into your cabin than it otherwise would do, with the extra air escaping through the door you have ajar. It won't really affect the humidity or temperature of your room - so it won't be helping your OH's health condition - but it will mean other rooms will suffer with higher temperatures as they have less cool air.

So if the humidity is too high then yes, use a dehumidifier - but opening the balcony door, causing more air to be put into your cabin from the vent - means it won't be effective!

VP

Thank you for your post but 10 years of managing my OH's condition and cruising round the world has convinced us that fresh sea air in our cabin benefits him more than recycled air-conditioned air does. I  cannot explain the science to you but can only see the improved outcome for him of  leaving the door open. 

• Like 1

Surely the point that one or two posters seem to be missing, is that by leaving their balcony doors open for their own benefit,  they are inconveniencing all the occupants of the surrounding cabins. 

• Like 5

On 6/3/2019 at 10:17 AM, madster66 said:

We were told the same thing on a cruise a few years ago. Extremely frustrating and very selfish.

I must also say that I looked to see if there were any notices about doors open and there were none that I could see. And if there is a problem for other users, maybe they should invest in the sort of switch usually on hotel room balcony doors that turns the air con off when the door is open. Seems to me its in PO hands to make guests comfortable in this regard.

When we were on Arcadia last October in the Caribbean we had a inside cabin and the first two weeks of of the cruise the air conditioning was great ,we love it really cold but the third week it seemed to blow in warm air and we really suffered ,we reported it a few times and cabin steward  and visits by the engineers came and told us it was because of the neighboring cabins leaving their balcony doors open it effects the whole corridor , it was only the last week of the cruise it came back cold and that was because we were on our way back to cold weather people did not leave their doors open so I think it is a selfish act to do so if you want fresh air go sit on your balcony and shut the door so we all can enjoy a cool cabin . We had two different engineers come and look at ours

9 hours ago, Scorpio41 said:

We were told the same thing on a cruise a few years ago. Extremely frustrating and very selfish.

22 hours ago, wowzz said:

Surely the point that one or two posters seem to be missing, is that by leaving their balcony doors open for their own benefit,  they are inconveniencing all the occupants of the surrounding cabins. 

I understand how you feel but if you were in the position that I am  - travelling with someone who has a breathing condition which is life limiting - you might do the same. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BillieJeanKaraokeKing said:

It's also a bit unfair to call others selfish.  If I hadn't read this on here for example, I wouldn't have even considered that leaving a balcony door could possibly unduly affect anyone else (certainly not to the extent suggested).

Ditto. I only found out about this on a thread on here so many people probably don’t know.

we had a restricted view cabin on E deck of Arcadia got to admit the air conditioning was not very good as the entire deck had no balconies could not blame people leaving doors open.

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

we had a restricted view cabin on E deck of Arcadia got to admit the air conditioning was not very good as the entire deck had no balconies could not blame people leaving doors open.

We are in one of those cabins in August.  Can I ask what was wrong with the air con.  We have had problems on P&O previously when the cabin air was incredibly dry and, as an asthmatic, I suffered a lot.