Balcony door open at night?

Ginb56

55 minutes ago, tring said:

We are in one of those cabins in August.  Can I ask what was wrong with the air con.  We have had problems on P&O previously when the cabin air was incredibly dry and, as an asthmatic, I suffered a lot.

The problem for us it never really got cold enough at night,my wife suffers from asthma and she never had a problem just a bit warm,me sleep apnea I usually wake up with a dry mouth so used to keeping water close by.

• Like 1

Not just PO, a/c always dries the air. Have y ou not used your a/c in the car to remove the steam?

Gives my throat a problem, which is why I pay expensively for balcony rooms and ventilate the room well by having the door open. Only way I can cope with 10 days of a/c about.

I have read all these comments carefully and agree with Whistling being caused by open balcony doors at night. This can indeed be a nuisance to neighbouring cabins. I don`t believe the temperature in other cabins is affected but firmly believe costs are increased - just like your car AC being inefficient with windows open. My main reason for writing is because I was particularly interested in a couple of references to CABIN THROAT.

I am a very experienced cruiser and suffer very much with sore throats all night long. I have always been convinced that it is caused by the AC. If I thought that leaving the balcony door open would cure this then I`m very sorry if you think me selfish but I would do it. Can anyone please tell me if they have any experience of this or offer advice on how to combat CABIN THROAT. 

27 minutes ago, kevboy said:

I have read all these comments carefully and agree with Whistling being caused by open balcony doors at night. This can indeed be a nuisance to neighbouring cabins. I don`t believe the temperature in other cabins is affected but firmly believe costs are increased - just like your car AC being inefficient with windows open. My main reason for writing is because I was particularly interested in a couple of references to CABIN THROAT.

I am a very experienced cruiser and suffer very much with sore throats all night long. I have always been convinced that it is caused by the AC. If I thought that leaving the balcony door open would cure this then I`m very sorry if you think me selfish but I would do it. Can anyone please tell me if they have any experience of this or offer advice on how to combat CABIN THROAT. 

I’m with you on this. I don’t really believe the stuff about other cabins being affected. I think it has a lot more to do with keeping costs down.

We tend not to leave the doors open for long, though long enough to give things a good airing with fresh air, but there really isn’t any other way to deal with the health issues caused by air conditioning.

I found this rather interesting thread on the HAL board, the below is an explanation from Chengkp75 who some forum members will have seen answering technical queries around Cruise Critic. 

The cabin thermostat controls the air cooler and fan that cools the 80% of your cabin volume that is recirculated in an hour. 20% of the cabin volume is exhausted via a combination of the bathroom exhaust fan and the airflow under the door into the passageway. This 20% volume is made up for by an equal air flow from a fresh air source (outside air) that is cooled by large air handlers that supply a bank of cabins (generally all cabins within one fire zone on each deck).

On the ships I've been on, opening the balcony door only shuts off the recirculation cooler, but the fresh air supply is maintained. Then, because the HVAC system is designed to keep a slightly higher pressure in your cabin than in the passageway (to keep smoke from entering your cabin), when a balcony door is opened, this becomes a low pressure zone, and all the fresh air supply will tend to be directed to the cabin with the balcony door open. Therefore, cabins farther away from the open balcony door will get less fresh air, and tend to become warmer, while those close by will get more air and become colder. This is because the cabin with the open door will suck air under adjoining doors, or from the passageway, and nearby cabins will leak more air than normal into the passageway to compensate.

I have not seen the system Despegue mentions, it was not common on ships built just 6-8 years ago, so I cannot say how widespread its use is. While it makes sense to do this, it does add significantly to the cost of the HVAC system, since every balcony cabin now requires a motor operated damper.

HVAC control is all about airflow balance. Something done to one area affects the balance in other areas.

5 hours ago, kevboy said:

I'm alright jack springs to mind. Yes very selfish !

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Reverse logic the needs of the few outweighs the needs of the many.

Still selfish  if the needs of the few keeps the majority awake at night with their door open due to the whistling noise made.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pennbank said:

Still selfish  if the needs of the few keeps the majority awake at night with their door open due to the whistling noise made.

I was in no way condoning the actions of the few just saying what they think.

7 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Yes. And they probably think the whole thing about one cabin affecting several more is just a piece of fiction aimed at keeping costs down.

There you go again HP every problem at P&O is due to them cutting costs.

Just caught this thread by accident.

It appears people are cruising white medical conditions which are exacerbated by being in a stateroom on a ship. 

While there are others, who cruise knowingly that being inside a stateroom on a ship may cause a medical condition.

why

9 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Just caught this thread by accident.

It appears people are cruising white medical conditions which are exacerbated by being in a stateroom on a ship. 

While there are others, who cruise knowingly that being inside a stateroom on a ship may cause a medical condition.

why

Why?

Maybe they assume that opening the door to the cabin to allow some fresh air in is a perfectly normal and natural thing to do, and that it couldn't possibly have been designed in such a way that it might interfere with anyone else?

20 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Why?

Maybe they assume that opening the door to the cabin to allow some fresh air in is a perfectly normal and natural thing to do, and that it couldn't possibly have been designed in such a way that it might interfere with anyone else?

Or even if they knew it caused a problem for your fellow cruisers they would do it anyway.

Just out of interest if you don’t have a balcony door to open do you live with it and get on and enjoy your holiday.

20 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Or even if they knew it caused a problem for your fellow cruisers they would do it anyway.

Just out of interest if you don’t have a balcony door to open do you live with it and get on and enjoy your holiday.

No idea - but I'm guessing anyone with an asthma or similar problem would go for a balcony. And probably also avoid sooty parts of the ship - though evidence suggests there are pretty high levels of pollution wherever you go on a cruise ship.

20 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

No idea - but I'm guessing anyone with an asthma or similar problem would go for a balcony. And probably also avoid sooty parts of the ship - though evidence suggests there are pretty high levels of pollution wherever you go on a cruise ship.

Actually my wife suffers from asthma and we had a restricted view cabin with no ill effects,and before you say the obvious my wife had to have two operations to help her breathing and she uses two types of inhaler.

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Why?

Did you read my post above how opening your balcony door affects other cabins?

6 hours ago, Pentlands said:

Ir is always interesting that it is someone elses actions that are selfish and not that the complainers are selfish for wanting things their way.

Actually you got that the wrong way around,one persons actions effect the majority which is selfish.

If it is your belief that leaving the door open is proven as a medical remedy show us the research behind your beliefs.

Probably one of the main reasons that they request keeping balcony doors shut is so as not to compromise in any way the fire protection strategy for the ship. Not just with regard to fire containment within cabins but also in respect of a very complex smoke control plan which persons other than ships architects and fire engineers would probably be unaware of. Look up Star Princess fire if you want to get an insight into this. P&O made quite a few significant and very expensive alterations to several of their ships following the enquiry into that fire, including extending the sprinkler system to cover external balconies. 

Edited by AchileLauro

I looked carefully and there was no such request, nothing on doors or anywhere else to say keep them closed.

Selfishness is complaining that someone else cannot do what they want to do because you are affected or evn may be affected.

And for those who do not like being in boxes and stuck with the heat/cold one is given, stump up, cruise less and get a cabin with a balcony.

Here's a solution to the conundrum regarding persons keeping the balcony door open because of an alleged fresh air requirement, while others would like it closed because allegedly it causes problems and annoyance. 

Have a bed made up on the balcony and shut the door.  

A win/win for all parties and the matter closed.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

19 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Here's a solution to the conundrum regarding persons keeping the balcony door open because of an alleged fresh air requirement, while others would like it closed because allegedly it causes problems and annoyance. 

Have a bed made up on the balcony and shut the door.  

I'd love to see how that could be achieved, and the reaction of the room steward!  😀