Cruise Critic Community
Lynnewob

San Basilio cruise terminal accident Sun 2 June

Posted (edited)

There has been an accident at San Basilio cruise terminal today with MSC Opera and a river boat.   The news is saying 5 are injured (no fatalities thankfully) due to the MSC ship's inability to stop and hitting it. 

We are joining the Pursuit at San Basilio on 10 June.   Do you think the embarkation terminal will be changed?

Edited by Lynnewob

12 minutes ago, Lynnewob said:

There has been an accident at San Basilio cruise terminal today with MSC Opera and a river boat.   The news is saying 5 are injured (no fatalities thankfully) due to the MSC ship's inability to stop and hitting it. 

We are joining the Pursuit at San Basilio on 10 June.   Do you think the embarkation terminal will be changed?

Probably too early to tell. I was supposed to be on the current Pursuit cruise but had to cancel due to an unexpected health emergency however my friends are onboard and are due to end this cruise at San Basilio. I am sure they will post here if the cruise terminal has to be moved. 

I don't know the answer to your question as I am not sure where Azamara normally docks in Venice. However MSC Opera actually crashed before reaching the main cruise terminal. The ship has now been moved to the main part of cruise terminal. If you look at a ship tracking website such as MarineTraffic you can see where it crashed into the dock and river boat that was docked there.

16 minutes ago, Lynnewob said:

I don’t think it crashed into the actual terminus.  It looks like the Zattere lower down. 

2 minutes ago, Werangels said:

I don’t think it crashed into the actual terminus.  It looks like the Zattere lower down. 

It does look a little further down when looking at more videos. 

Yes, I don't think San Basilio itself should be affected either. 

It doesn't seem like there were serious injuries thank goodness, but MSC Opera is a relatively small ship at about 60.000 tons ....just imagine if it had been a 140.000 ton ship. 😱

This may give the Venice authorities even more thoughts about a total cruise ship ban in the Lagoon. 

Yikes!  This is not good and backs up the fear my many of the damage these large ships do to Venice.  I’m guessing they never imagined one out of control like this though.  

From MarineTraffic and if accurate it does look like she struck before the main docking area that Azamara use, but right outside the San Basilio terminal building.  Marked by the red line is where I’ve normally docked when Azamara have used San Basilio pier.

Phil

58BB9FAA-DEC1-415F-A94F-4123EF3113FF.jpeg

Pilot would have been onboard as well 

It slammed into UNIWORLD's "River Countess" Riverboat....I am on that riverboat in October and I am really hoping the sailing will be able to go on as scheduled.

Posted (edited)

The presence itself of cruise ships in Venice is already regarded to be out of control, with its significant ecological, economic and social impacts - it’s a huge political “hot potato”.

This incident will likely to add fuel to the debate.

Good video Bobal and good map Phil - thanks for posting those.

Edited by snowglobe

Posted (edited)

Here's another one, taken from the ship, which shows clearly where the accident happened

Edited by Bobal

20 minutes ago, Bobal said:

Here's another one, taken from the ship, which shows clearly where the accident happened

OH MY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am I right in seeing that some one was on the gangplank as it struck and an officer is reaching out an arm to catch them? Terrifying

11 minutes ago, MNgardens said:

Am I right in seeing that some one was on the gangplank as it struck and an officer is reaching out an arm to catch them? Terrifying

Yes, I think you are right. I see that now. One or two of the injuries I would say. 

Phil 

How frightening. I’ll ask tomorrow if we expect any dock changes. 

We've watched a lot of the coverage on television.  This is indeed disturbing, and now added to all of the other issues regarding the huge amount of cruise ship traffic on the canals of Venice.  They definitely have a problem.

One option that's been considered by Venice, I'm told, is to limit ships to 30,000 tons.

7 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

One option that's been considered by Venice, I'm told, is to limit ships to 30,000 tons.

So Azamara makes the cut.

3 hours ago, flyingshoes said:

So says Captain Gianmario.

7 hours ago, flyingshoes said:

Not so sure, they are slightly over 30,000, 30,270 I believe.

1 minute ago, Bloodaxe said:

Not so sure, they are slightly over 30,000, 30,270 I believe.

Close enough for government work...😎

30,277 before the addition of extra staterooms on deck 4.

Obviously I was mistaken, but I had thought that ships the size of Azamara were the biggest allowed to dock at San Basilio and was more than a little surprised to see a ship the size and weight of MSC Opera in Guidecca Canal.