Trying to book my first cruise

NightReport

I spent a couple of weeks researching. Decided on the Eurodam to Alaska September 2020. Looked at photos of cabins and deck plans with my husband. The next morning went to book and the price increased $500! HAL must be very optimistic to raise prices this far out. The 2019 sailing are priced for much less.

Any advice you can share will be appreciated. I understand airline and hotels but cruise prices don't make sense to me. 

The cruise lines always raise prices from season to season. Having said that, they will also run specials that may include perks like free wifi, pre-paid gratuities, lower deposit, second person reduced price, to name a few. Keep watching for those and then book when you see one that gives you perks you would like.

Clear the cache in your web browser and flush the cookies. They're tracking your activity on their website and they know you are looking at that cruise, so they increased the priced in hopes you'll still be willing to pay-up.

This is a well known trick that travel websites use.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sean_B said:

Clear the cache in your web browser and flush the cookies. They're tracking your activity on their website and they know you are looking at that cruise, so they increased the priced in hopes you'll still be willing to pay-up.

I know this works when booking hotels but the price of my intended cruise is the same on my laptop, tablet and work PC. I even contacted an agent to get a quote. Same price eveywhere. If I could cruise this year I would since the prices are so much better. I'm hoping that prices will come back down.

23 minutes ago, NightReport said:

I know this works when booking hotels but the price of my intended cruise is the same on my laptop, tablet and work PC. I even contacted an agent to get a quote. Same price eveywhere. If I could cruise this year I would since the prices are so much better. I'm hoping that prices will come back down.

The prices WILL come back down.  I have found prices going down to Tuesday or Wednesdays in some cases but I'm not sure when HAL changes their prices - you will eventually figure out the pattern.  Look at multiple cruise travel agent websites and keep checking everyday.  That's what I do, even after buying a cruise.  I have been able to upgrade from a balcony cabin to a suite on multiple lines due to sudden price drops I caught.  Good luck and keep looking.

21 hours ago, Sean_B said:

Good advice. I always explore cruise opportunities in secret mode that way the cookies can't track. When ready, I book regular web page

If the price goes down before final payment, you can get that new price(fact check me to make sure that hasnt changed).  I usually book cruises around 6 months out, but cruise lines know that it is a big purchase and paying in increments is more palatable for people.  They hope you book 2 years out and just pay it off and never price check. Once that last payment is in, you may get a credit if it goes down in price but that is usually an exception rather than the rule.  I am not sure if we can recommend sites on here, so I will just say that some sights have Memorial day sales, Labor day sales, 4th of July sales.  They usually dont have a better price, but may include perks that you dont get straight from the cruise lines website.  Shop around and wait it out, You are far enough out that it isnt going to sell out on you.  You will be so familiar with the pricing that you will know when to pull the trigger.  

8 hours ago, originolsin said:

Shop around and wait it out, You are far enough out that it isnt going to sell out on you.  You will be so familiar with the pricing that you will know when to pull the trigger.  

This is what I'm going to do. I must of stumbled on a sale and didn't realize it. I've thought of cruising in the past but have always gotten frustrated and booked a different trip. The advice on here has been helpful.