Past Guests Seemingly Ignored by Oceania

jimdee3636

My wife and I have been on three Oceania cruises, two on the Marina, one on the Riviera. All the cruises were taken between 2016 and 2018, and all were between 12 and 16 nights. We enjoyed them very much and would like to take another one. We even bought 100 shares of NCL stock for added OBC on our next one. But Oceania sure isn't making it easy. Despite what its website says about the past-guest loyalty program, we have never received any of the benefits such as early notification of new itineraries, the O-Life magazine, or anything else they claim to offer. It's been at least nine months since we've received any catalogs or brochures from Oceania, in contrast to what must be weekly mailings from sister-line Regent (which we have never sailed on). Our contact information hasn't changed. Is this normal?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimdee3636 said:

My wife and I have been on three Oceania cruises, two on the Marina, one on the Riviera. All the cruises were taken between 2016 and 2018, and all were between 12 and 16 nights. We enjoyed them very much and would like to take another one. We even bought 100 shares of NCL stock for added OBC on our next one. But Oceania sure isn't making it easy. Despite what its website says about the past-guest loyalty program, we have never received any of the benefits such as early notification of new itineraries, the O-Life magazine, or anything else they claim to offer. It's been at least nine months since we've received any catalogs or brochures from Oceania, in contrast to what must be weekly mailings from sister-line Regent (which we have never sailed on). Our contact information hasn't changed. Is this normal?

Did you contact your agent?     

5 minutes ago, jimdee3636 said:

In 2018 (can't remember exactly when), there was the first of several major upgrades to the O website. It is very possible that you marketing preferences were somehow changed (perhaps you selected "no e-stuff" and forgot?).

So, if you want a zillion brochures "update marketing preferences" (under Guest Services) on the website.

We last cruised in 2017 and were not getting many brochures, etc.  There was a cruise I found online for 2021 so I called and asked when the new itineraries were coming out.  The agent told me and then took my email and notified me a few days before the new cruises were available.  If you call, someone will help you.

I find it somewhat amusing that many complain here about being deluged with brochures (we tend to be in this category although we've never complained about them, we just throw them out) but there are also those who really want to get brochures can can't seem to get them.  It doesn't appear that there is a happy medium.  We also get brochures from Regent and other lines we've never patronized ... but I'm sure their marketing knows when someone has cruised, and they become fair game.  Rather like when you do a search for a product online and suddenly you are getting all these offers from other vendors ...

Our TA (who I know is not alone) will send us an email brochure of offerings when they come out ... We find that sufficient!

We also just do searches at the website for the time and destination we're interested in.  Then I will discuss the options with our excellent TA.  Usually we go with what I have found but wiser words are always welcome!

1 hour ago, jimdee3636 said:

Seems to becoming normal. Oceania does not care about their past guests as found in their loyalty program  . They downgraded it and took away benefits that we had in the past.  What does that tell you about how much they care. 

• Like 1

I opted out of the brochures   so I  do not get Olife magazine either

but if that is a choice I have to make to not get a zillion brochures I can live without the O Life magazine 

I have more than 3 cruises on O  😉

Ask your TA  to add your to the mailing list  if it is important to you

This is so bizarre as I was just thinking this weekend, upon receiving the mail, about the problem of receiving so many brochures and books of various sizes weekly from Oceania (the main offender).  Now I admit, I like receiving the occasional brochure but it seems that there’s a lot of repeat in their brochures.  I mean, the list of sailings is NOT infinite.  I get the occasional HAL and NCL and Uniworld smaller communications and even Regent and Viking (never sailed either).  I wonder if it’s an “all or nothing” situation?  I’m obviously falling into the ALL category.

Thanks for the various thoughts. I'll probably just call O tomorrow and try to get them to "reinstate" me. I guess my problem is that I like doing business with companies that value my business, which has not been my experience with O for the past year. On the other hand, we took a thirty night cruise on HAL in February and March, and next month we're taking a 21-night cruise on the Queen Mary 2. Both HAL and Cunard have kept their names and their offerings in front of us regularly; in fact, we learned of the two cruises I mentioned from print catalogs that were mailed to us. With O, it's sort of been a case of out of sight/ out of mind. It's sad because I do like the ships, the cuisine, the whole ambiance. The marketing? Not so much. 

54 minutes ago, jimdee3636 said:

Thanks for the various thoughts. I'll probably just call O tomorrow and try to get them to "reinstate" me. I guess my problem is that I like doing business with companies that value my business, which has not been my experience with O for the past year. On the other hand, we took a thirty night cruise on HAL in February and March, and next month we're taking a 21-night cruise on the Queen Mary 2. Both HAL and Cunard have kept their names and their offerings in front of us regularly; in fact, we learned of the two cruises I mentioned from print catalogs that were mailed to us. With O, it's sort of been a case of out of sight/ out of mind. It's sad because I do like the ships, the cuisine, the whole ambiance. The marketing? Not so much. 

I understand what you are feeling but unless you really like HAL & Cunard aren’t you cutting off your nose to spite your face?

Personally, I would rather sail a cruise line I love (for example, Oceania) even if I didn’t get any brochures from them than sail HAL or Cunard who may send me tons of brochures.

To me “valuing my business” means a lot more than receiving promo materials from any company. I get lots of promo materials in my mail (aka junk mail) from all sorts of companies that want my business - that doesn’t mean they value my business - especially if I have never used them before.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 5

The OP should call their TA and I’M confident the TA can quickly arrange any level of barrage of slow mail and emails the OP desires. 

On a different note, one often questions the motivations of posters that come here with such issues when they haven’t approached their TA and or Oceania with those issues already. 

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

On a different note, one often questions the motivations of posters that come here with such issues when they haven’t approached their TA and or Oceania with those issues already. 

same  as those that have a problem onboard  but say nothing to let the staff know so they can fix it

Then when they are home post all over the web how bad things were

🙄

We get their brochures constantly, but still have trouble with the rewards program.  I've written twice now as the website shows non of our previous Oceania cruises.  Never gotten a response nor has our "account" ever been corrected.  Frustrating.

3 hours ago, comcox said:

We get their brochures constantly, but still have trouble with the rewards program.  I've written twice now as the website shows non of our previous Oceania cruises.  Never gotten a response nor has our "account" ever been corrected.  Frustrating.

if you use a TA  have them look into it for you

Or try phoning Oceania

I know in this modern computer age  it is hard to pick up the phone  🙄

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

Consider yourself lucky. Once they start sending brochures it's like Niagara Falls....they just keep coming and coming and coming. I immediately throw them in the recycle bin.

You're much better off going on to the website and finding what you want.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

Count your blessings.  I get way too many brochures from Oceania. If you save and send them back for recycling, you will get a discount on your next cruise.

Good luck and enjoy your next cruise with Oceania.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

We did an 18 day Marina Cruise earlier this year, our third with O.  The first two were excellent, the recent one was disappointing, to say the least.  I filled out the survey and mentioned that if they wanted to keep my business someone would have to call me to discuss what went wrong and whether we will cruise with O again or not.  After two months of silence I sent an email through the web site re-stating the above and asking if they want my business or not.  The next day I got a call from a very nice lady who was very apologetic, listened to my concerns and repeatedly stated that they value my business and she would look into what they could do and call me back.  That was over two weeks ago and so far nothing.

The conclusion is pretty obvious.

1 hour ago, Sopwith said:

We did an 18 day Marina Cruise earlier this year, our third with O.  The first two were excellent, the recent one was disappointing, to say the least.  I filled out the survey and mentioned that if they wanted to keep my business someone would have to call me to discuss what went wrong and whether we will cruise with O again or not.  After two months of silence I sent an email through the web site re-stating the above and asking if they want my business or not.  The next day I got a call from a very nice lady who was very apologetic, listened to my concerns and repeatedly stated that they value my business and she would look into what they could do and call me back.  That was over two weeks ago and so far nothing.

The conclusion is pretty obvious.

Seems that Oceania did not really care hearing about your complaints.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

2 hours ago, Sopwith said:

….the recent one was disappointing, to say the least.  I filled out the survey and mentioned that if they wanted to keep my business someone would have to call me to discuss what went wrong and whether we will cruise with O again or not. 

Can you share the experience?

• Like 1

I have had the same problem with the loyalty programme but get numerous mailshots and e mails.  I rang Oceania uk and a lovely lady could see that we had two previous cruises and one coming up, she said we had two different numbers which was why nothing was showing up and sorted it.  So might be worth ringing them, I had had no joy by e mailing them. 

• 2 weeks later...

A follow-up:

Taking the helpful advice of some of you, ten days ago I sent an e-mail to Oceania (with both my O-Club number and my wife's) and requested that they "reinstate" us, and then confirm to us that we're now listed as active in the system. The next day, I left a voice message asking for the same thing. To date, I have received no response.

It's a basic marketing principle that it's easier and cheaper to retain existing customers than to try to reach out to new ones. It's also a basic principle that people have choices in how they spend their money, and that most people want to give their money to companies that appreciate their business (or at least those that pretend to appreciate their business). I hate to sound overly-dramatic, but Oceania makes me feel like a non-person. As paulchili said, I may be cutting off my nose to spite my face, but I don't relish the thought of booking another cruise with Oceania. 

OK, enough of my rant!

That is not good

Did you use the email to Oceania Club or the general email address?

OceaniaClub@oceaniacruises.com.

Not that it should matter  they should  at least contact you

2 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

A follow-up:

Taking the helpful advice of some of you, ten days ago I sent an e-mail to Oceania (with both my O-Club number and my wife's) and requested that they "reinstate" us, and then confirm to us that we're now listed as active in the system. The next day, I left a voice message asking for the same thing. To date, I have received no response.

It's a basic marketing principle that it's easier and cheaper to retain existing customers than to try to reach out to new ones. It's also a basic principle that people have choices in how they spend their money, and that most people want to give their money to companies that appreciate their business (or at least those that pretend to appreciate their business). I hate to sound overly-dramatic, but Oceania makes me feel like a non-person. As paulchili said, I may be cutting off my nose to spite my face, but I don't relish the thought of booking another cruise with Oceania. 

OK, enough of my rant!

Something is weird here.

Have you tried to request a brochure mailed to you from their web page?  

Do you have a TA?  Several posters suggested that you contact your TA and let the agent straighten it out. 

We get lots of mini-brochures from Oceania, but never their catalog unless we specifically request it.

Our TA sends us the advance notice of new itineraries and a link to view them.  Only my wife get the O-Life magazine.

Have you set up an online account and entered your O-Club numbers?  I don't remember what we did for Oceania, but with Regent I had to enter our club numbers on the account.  It sounds like you did this.

Did tou look at the support page that states:

"How do I update my profile to include past cruise history?

In an effort to provide our guests with additional security, we now require a date of birth in order to validate your Oceania Club loyalty information. Unfortunately, this means that all guests that do not have their date of birth saved to their online profile will be unable to see their past sailings. The name on the profile tab on the website has to match exactly as it appears on the reservation in our booking system. Please refer to your invoice to see how the name is listed. Once this is done your past sailing history should populate on your account profile. 

Updating this information is easy to do. Simply follow the steps below: 

1. Log in to https://www.oceaniacruises.com/myaccount/
2. Go to "Edit Profile" and fill out the guest's First and Last name and Date of Birth.
3. Click "Save Profile Information" button.
Click "Oceania Club" tab. Your loyalty number will appear on the upper right corner, along with your past sailings.

Please contact our Oceania Club department if you need assistance at OceaniaClub@oceaniacruises.com"

You may have tried all these thing, but it's worth double checking because what you describe is not normal

Edited by 1985rz1

3 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

A follow-up:

OK, enough of my rant!

Try to do a dummy booking online but do not complete it - you may get a follow-up call about completing your reservation and getting on the mailing list.

jimdee3636 is not alone. 

We have sailed with Oceania 14 cruises in a penthouse or higher and suddenly two years ago we "fell off" their mailing list.  My husband and I missed reading the catalogs as it is more relaxing to browse through them together.

My TA tried 2-3 times to get us reinstated but no luck, the rep on board the ship tried while we booked another cruise promised to fix the problem, but that didn't work either.  I called directly a couple times with my story and still no luck!  Finally I made an online request in my cat's name for a catalog as a new customer.  Guess what?  Catalogs started appearing in the mailbox again!

I called customer service and explained my story and told them I was sorry my cat was more important as a future customer than I was as an established one.   Finally the catalogs are arriving in my name again.  Someone in their Marketing Dept doesn't understand the basics of customer retention. 

• Like 1