Taking water bottle ashore at ports

Greg901

Just now, CruiserBruce said:

No where that I have ever seen, in many parts of the world. Specifics would help the OP,  generalities don't. 

We had to pour the water out of our personal water bottles upon returning to the ship in San Diego.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Shmoo here said:

We had to pour the water out of our personal water bottles upon returning to the ship in San Diego.

Ok. Very helpful. Again,  no reason for a previous poster to be vague or secretive. That doesn't help the OP or others who read this thread. In our experience,  we have had no issues on 4 different continents. 

44 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

No where that I have ever seen, in many parts of the world. Specifics would help the OP,  generalities don't. 

Happened on Carnival last year...they were making sure you brought no alcohol back onboard

Edited by Mr. Candyman

7 hours ago, Mr. Candyman said:

Happened on Carnival last year...they were making sure you brought no alcohol back onboard

Ok, a cruise line issue, not a port issue. And understandable, now knowing what cruise line is involved. 

I have seen that happen (required to empty your bottle) at several ports.  And also having to toss open bottles of water (disposable ones).

Probably to avoid alcohol smuggling.

Edited by SRF
  • Like 1

If you are doing the Med and Capri is on your list, be aware that single-use plastic bottles, containers, bags, are prohibited from being brought onto the island now.  Too much garbage from tourists that they have to barge out.  One place where you will want your own Hydroflask (refilling a Dasani bottle won't work).    You make a smaller footprint when you bring your own, anyway.  Who cares if you have to empty it before coming back on the ship?  Just like taking it on a plane...

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Greg901 said:

Can I bring my water bottle from home off the ship at ports?

Taking it off is not a problem. You may have to empty it to bring it back on board, but if all it has in it is water who cares? The emptying would be a cruise line rule not the port rule. For example NCL will not let you bring any beverages on board at any stop, so everyone has to empty their water bottles.

Edited by zqvol
  • Like 2

Thanks  for the quick  response everyone.  We are on carnival  and the ports are grand Cayman,  mahogany bay,  in  Belize we going to Altun ha and  wanted to bring  bottle water or our water bottles this help a lot. So we should be good.

5 hours ago, Kate P.C said:

We were there month and  a half ago and had no trouble at all. Only Cozumel they checked for water and any type of food. We even had water bottles bringing back on the ship.

do you mean you could bring back unopened bottles of water or any bottle at all that had water?   Sealed bottles are a different issue.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

No, it was just posted that the water must be poured out.  So we did it.  We're not into questioning "authority".

LOL.  Whereas I am 🙂

On 6/3/2019 at 8:17 PM, Greg901 said:

Thanks  for the quick  response everyone.  We are on carnival  and the ports are grand Cayman,  mahogany bay,  in  Belize we going to Altun ha and  wanted to bring  bottle water or our water bottles this help a lot. So we should be good.

Carnival usually requires personal water bottles be poured out.  Yes, to avoid alcohol smuggling.  You can reboard with Carnival purchased water.

On 6/15/2019 at 10:21 PM, Elaine5715 said:

Carnival usually requires personal water bottles be poured out.  Yes, to avoid alcohol smuggling.  You can reboard with Carnival purchased water.

Wow - my low opinion of Carnival just dropped....not sure if I'm more offended by the thought that Carnival would think I'm smuggling alcohol in my water bottle, or the realization that it must be common behavior by my fellow passengers.  In any event, glad I swore off that line after my only Carnival cruise in the late 70's!  Life's too short to put up with that sort of stuff....and the passengers who were the cause of them implementing such a thing!

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

It was announced on our HAL cruise last year to Australia that no food or unsealed bottles of water could be taken ashore in New Caledonia. I assumed they were trying to prevent invasive species. (Might have just been trying to sell more bottled water.) I saw the food rule broken.

50 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

Wow - my low opinion of Carnival just dropped....not sure if I'm more offended by the thought that Carnival would think I'm smuggling alcohol in my water bottle, or the realization that it must be common behavior by my fellow passengers.  In any event, glad I swore off that line after my only Carnival cruise in the late 70's!  Life's too short to put up with that sort of stuff....and the passengers who were the cause of them implementing such a thing!

Sue/WDW1972

All guests on all cruise lines smuggle booze on.  I used Carnival ONLY because I know this is the procedure  to allow Carnival purchased water back on board.  Watched DCL guests pouring out bottles also.