Crystal vs Regent

hospsafe

Good Morning,

At this point in my life (50 yrs old single) its time for me to upgrade my cruising experience.  Since I don't cruise that often when I do cruise its in suites on Celebrity and Princess. What are the main differences between Crystal and Regent?  I am looking for a "down to earth Texas home feel" if that's possible. Luxurious but not pretentious. If it helps, when taking vacations, Four Seasons Resorts and JW are my preferred hotel brands.  I have never had a bad stay in either and they have always made me welcomed.

I can't compare Regent to Crystal as I've never sailed Regent. I have 36 cruises on Crystal, going back to 2007. The main reason that I've never cruised Regent is that most of their cruises charge 200% for a single. On almost all of my Crystal cruises I am now paying 130%, when I started sailing Crystal it was actually 125%. I have never stayed at a Four Seasons Resort or a JW Marriott, so I can't compare to those, but I suspect Crystal is as good in all aspects, if not better.

Not sure you're going to get a "down to earth Texas home feel" on any luxury line, and I say that as someone who has lived in Texas all my life, although in the big city. You will find that the majority (like over 90%) of the other passengers on Crystal are friendly, well traveled people from all over the US and many other countries. The food, entertainment, etc. is top notch. 

I'll be happy to answer any specific questions you have about Crystal.

Patty

My post may make things more difficult as we have 33 cruises on Regent and have not tried Crystal ........ yet.  We will be on Crystal Symphony in September.

Perhaps it may help to explain why we have not sailed on Crystal yet.  First, the suites on Crystal are a bit small for us (they are the smallest of any luxury cruise line).  In the past, they had set seating which doesn’t work for us.  Fortunately, this has changed within the last year.  

We have friends that regularly sail on both cruise lines and they say that Regent officers and crew interact more than on Crystal which is something that we love.

On the other hand, Crystal has a reputation for fabulous entertainment (better than Regent) and has great classes and lectures.   Both cruise line are said to have great food.

I don’t think that cruise lines can be compared to hotels.  After all, you are on the ship 24/7 (except when you are ashore) and eat all meals there which is not typically done in a hotel.  

Regent may be luxurious but it is not stuffy.  Passengers are friendly and down to earth. The dress code is “Elegant Casual” which means slacks and a buttoned shirt at night is fine (no jean or shorts at night but everyone wears them during the day).  The only “Formal Optional” nights are on itineraries over 15 nights and only about 1/3 of the passengers dress up.  You can still dress Elegant Casual on these nights.  Almost forgot that you can wear jeans/shorts on the pool deck at night (weather permitting) and have their barbecue.  There is also a full bar there.  However, if you plan on going to a lounge or show inside of the ship, the dress code applies again.

You could have a great experience on either cruise line.  My one recommendation is to find a TA (travel agent) that is experienced booking both Crystal and Regent (and if they have sailed both cruise lines, that is a big plus).   In addition to being able to answer questions for you and a make recommendations as to the best suites, you can get a rebate on your cruise and/or receive on board credits.

Hope that this information helps and that you have a great cruise —- whichever cruise line you choose!

10 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

We have friends that regularly sail on both cruise lines and they say that Regent officers and crew interact more than on Crystal which is something that we love.

I've seen you mention this many times. That is 180 degrees from my experience on Crystal. I'll have to remember that as the officers and various crew members hug me when I first embark on the Crystal ships. I'm not sure how much more "interaction" I want with them past a hug!! 😱😳😎

Patty

• Like 2

All I can say is that two of my friends that are regulars on Crystal and have also sailed Regent have made that comment.  And, since they know that I'll be on Crystal in September, they have mentioned it again.

I understand that you are greeted with hug (as am I on Regent) but what about people new to Crystal?  On Regent, one Captain will stop by and chat with people that they don't know.  Some brief conversations with the officers have led to dining invitations.  Until I experience Crystal, all I can do is repeat what others have said.  

1 hour ago, wripro said:

I have never understood why some people levitate when a crew member recognizes them

For me...when I am recognized by a crew member or a staff member at a hotel/restaurant/bar I frequent it makes the experience all that more personal and I appreciate that.

Edited by hospsafe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wripro said:

I have never understood why some people levitate when a crew member recognizes them.

It is simply nice to be recognized.  When I go on Oceania or Silversea we do not know anyone.  A nice smile when you are walking down the hall on Regent (from an Officer - crew on Silversea are very friendly - not so much on Oceania) is friendly and welcoming (not enough to levitate though)🐈  

23 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

It is simply nice to be recognized.  When I go on Oceania or Silversea we do not know anyone.  A nice smile when you are walking down the hall on Regent (from an Officer - crew on Silversea are very friendly - not so much on Oceania) is friendly and welcoming (not enough to levitate though)🐈  

Good hotels and train their staff on the 10/5 rule.  They train their staff to smile when approaching a guest with 10 feet and saying "good morning" or something to that affect within 5 feet of the guest.  You are dead on TravelCat2..its just nice to be recognized..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Absolutely agree.  And it never ceases to amaze me when a crew member stops me in the hall to say "hello, Mrs Kwaj girl...how nice to see you again - last time was on the Explorer.....and by the way, how are the penguins?"  Now HOW they remember that level of detail I will never know......

Edited by Kwaj girl

I have never sailed with Regent for the same reason as Texas Tillie - the supplement for solo passengers on Crystal can't be beat.  OK, it can be beat on some select voyages, but Crystal offers it on virtually every voyage, and for me that makes Crystal a terrific value.  I will say that I read from a lot of people who still think Crystal is more "stuffy" or elitist because they were among the last to lose the formal wear evenings, but the truth is that the people I've met on Crystal have never been stuffy or elitist (regardless of what they're wearing). 

On 6/4/2019 at 1:43 PM, Travelcat2 said:

but what about people new to Crystal?  

I found that the officers and crew did not go out of their way to chat with me, but I never felt that anyone was avoiding me either - I would always get a smile and a friendly hello from staff or officers I encountered in my travels on the ship.  (Frankly, if an officer stopped by to chat because I was an unfamiliar face, I might have been kind of uncomfortable, because that's my personality.)  I also always got the feeling the staff's smile was genuine, not forced by job requirements.

Even though I know that staff are given photos of guests to help them recognize and remember people's names, it's still nice to be recognized -- and I find that particularly true as a single woman, whom too many people over the years have looked past to see where my father/boyfriend/husband was. 

• Like 1

As background, I have sailed Crystal and other luxury lines as well as many other lines including Celebrity and Princess.

You will find a major difference between luxury lines and Celebrity and Princess.

Here's my take on this.

In terms of what people think this really will vary by person.  I have several friends who have sailed Regent and Crystal.  Ask them what they like best about Regent and what they like best about Crystal and all of the opinions vary.  Why?  Because they are opinions.

Then there are facts such as what the ships look like, their size, the number of guests, choices in stateroom, what is included in the cruise fare, etc. etc., etc.

In the end you are never going to know which line works better for you until you try each of them yourself.

As such I would do the following.

Read up on each ship you are considering.  I say ship because all ships are not the same.  Look at the facts about each line and ship. You can get most facts from their web site.  Again facts.

I have found that a great source for getting additional facts comes from the Annual Ocean Cruise Line Book written by Douglas Ward and published by Berlitz.  It's a small cost relative to the cost of the cruises.  I have used it for years and actually this is how I selected our first Celebrity cruise in the early 1990's when a travel agent was pushing me to Royal Caribbean.

https://www.amazon.com/Berlitz-Cruising-Cruise-Ships-Guide/dp/1785730428/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Douglas+Ward&qid=1560153905&s=gateway&sr=8-1

If you want to get opinion read the boards for Regent and Crystal or read the review.  Go with what I call the 80/20 rule.  If 80% of the postings/reviews says something is positive or something is negative accept it as fact until you experience it yourself.

Finally if you have friends who have sailed on one or both lines ask them what they think.  If they are good friends they should know about your likes and dislikes.

I can't tell you how often I ask people when we sail about experiences on other lines and how the thoughts are all over the place.  One says food better on one line.  Another says the food is better on the other line.  

I just wouldn't base my decision on this one thread.

Keith

Keith, you are absolutely right.  I would never base my decision on one thread whether it be here or on a review on Trip Advisor.  I was just looking at this as one of many resources to gain some knowledge.  I am actually looking at SB and Crystal as well. I am going to be careful not to get "information overload". Also agree that talking to friends who sailed on a luxury cruise will be very important in the decision. Ultimately I do know two things...

1. Until I throw caution to the wind and try one, I wont know which line best suites me. Yes it might come down to throwing a dart.

2.  The lanyard is being thrown away. ')

• Like 1

Hospsafe , I never sailed on Regent  - I find it far too expensive especially ...for a single

However I did visit twice  with lunch what I found not that  special at all ( it was not a regular lunch but a meal usually served as dinner for visitors ) 

based on those 2 upgraded lunches , the service on Crystal is far superior. 

I do not know if F and B operations are important for you - as you do mention SB - I recently noticed in my hometown and confirmed on board  the main dining room is still  closed on SB when the ship is in port.

Food is subjective so that should be taken into consideration.  We will be on Crystal in 2 1/2 months and will decide for ourselves if the food (and service) is better than on Regent.  

P.S. Very strange that the main dining room is closed on Seabourn when the ship is in port.  The only time we have seen that on is a premium cruise line.  

The MDR on Seabourn is supposedly closed in the Med at lunch time on port intensive cruises only as far as I know. I know it was open in December/January when I sailed Ovation and Sojourn around Australia and Asia.

I will be on a Med cruise in July so I will find out then. I usually eat lunch ashore though because on Port intensive cruises isn't part of the joy of travel eating in new places.

Vistaman we know you don't like Seabourn however please be more accurate in your reporting.

Well after a few days of diving into so much information involving all three of them (Crystal, Regent and Seabourn) it looks like I have going to have to throw a dart.  Based on what I have read there isn't one thing that sticks out to me as major advantage among the three. Unless I decide to do an Asian itinerary and then I think Regent has the advantage with the 3 night pre/post stay.  Ultimately I am sure, at some point, I will try all three.

14 hours ago, frantic36 said:

The MDR on Seabourn is supposedly closed in the Med at lunch time on port intensive cruises only as far as I know. I know it was open in December/January when I sailed Ovation and Sojourn around Australia and Asia.

I will be on a Med cruise in July so I will find out then. I usually eat lunch ashore though because on Port intensive cruises isn't part of the joy of travel eating in new places.

Vistaman we know you don't like Seabourn however please be more accurate in your reporting.

I do not think Antwerpen is in the Med … and I inquired about it …

5 minutes ago, vistaman said:

I do not think Antwerpen is in the Med … and I inquired about it …

I agree Antwerp is not in the Med. I am basing my previous reply on first hand experience from just a few months ago Sailing on both Ovation and Sojourn.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2019 at 4:42 PM, hospsafe said:

Well after a few days of diving into so much information involving all three of them (Crystal, Regent and Seabourn) it looks like I have going to have to throw a dart.  Based on what I have read there isn't one thing that sticks out to me as major advantage among the three. Unless I decide to do an Asian itinerary and then I think Regent has the advantage with the 3 night pre/post stay.  Ultimately I am sure, at some point, I will try all three.

Doing research is a great thing.  Surprised that you did not check out Silversea.  Although we sail mostly on Regent, we did enjoy our Silversea sailings (3).  The only negative for us was the more formal dress code.

When we compare Regent to the other three luxury lines, the fare may seem high but it does include international Business Class air which can be thousands of dollars.  And, as you mentioned, some itineraries have a 3 night pre or post cruise stay.  For people staying in a concierge or above suite, if there is no pre-cruise stay, you receive a hotel stay (Regent picks you up from the airport - takes you to the hotel and the next day takes you to the ship).  

It is hard to go wrong with any of the luxury cruise lines.  There are differences which is good ....... if everyone was the same it would be boring.

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Doing research is a great thing.  Surprised that you did not check out Silversea.  Although we sail mostly on Regent, we did enjoy our Silversea sailings (3).  The only negative for us was the more formal dress code.

When we compare Regent to the other three luxury lines, the fare may seem high but it does include international Business Class air which can be thousands of dollars.  And, as you mentioned, some itineraries have a 3 night pre or post cruise stay.  For people staying in a concierge or above suite, if there is no pre-cruise stay, you receive a hotel stay (Regent picks you up from the airport - takes you to the hotel and the next day takes you to the ship).  

It is hard to go wrong with any of the luxury cruise lines.  There are differences which is good ....... if everyone was the same it would be boring.

Travelcat2...I actually did check out Silversea but it does seem they are a little bit too formal for me and it appears the average age is higher than the others.  That's why I didn't mention them in my original post.  I am a road warrior but on Southwest so the Business Class air does appeal to me.  I like the "one stop shopping aspect" that Regent is promoting. When I get back from my first Celebrity Suite cruise in two weeks I need to make a decision.  Looking forward to your thoughts during you sail on Crystal.

Edited by hospsafe

1 hour ago, hospsafe said:

Travelcat2...I actually did check out Silversea but it does seem they are a little bit too formal for me and it appears the average age is higher than the others.  That's why I didn't mention them in my original post.  I am a road warrior but on Southwest so the Business Class air does appeal to me.  I like the "one stop shopping aspect" that Regent is promoting. When I get back from my first Celebrity Suite cruise in two weeks I need to make a decision.  Looking forward to your thoughts during you sail on Crystal.

Hope that you enjoy the Celebrity Suite.  Every September we are trying a different cruise line and last year cruised on Celebrity (in a Royal suite).  Being a luxury cruiser, it took a bit of getting used to but loved the private dining room and lounge.  It was a fun experience.

On 6/5/2019 at 2:49 PM, hospsafe said:

For me...when I am recognized by a crew member or a staff member at a hotel/restaurant/bar I frequent it makes the experience all that more personal and I appreciate that.

Oddly, we thought the crew on Holland was just as good as Regent. In fact, on night nine I said to the M'D "Wow, they usually greet us by name every night on HAL, yet you still don't seem to even know who we are."

We loved Regent, but probably won't return. It just wasn't for us. When friends ask why, we usually say: "Well, it was sort of like wealthy people who aren't wealthy enough to own a private yacht, but want to be left alone."

The officers, on the other hand, were probably the most friendly and engaged we have ever experienced.

On 6/3/2019 at 10:39 AM, hospsafe said:

Good Morning,

At this point in my life (50 yrs old single) its time for me to upgrade my cruising experience.  Since I don't cruise that often when I do cruise its in suites on Celebrity and Princess. What are the main differences between Crystal and Regent?  I am looking for a "down to earth Texas home feel" if that's possible. Luxurious but not pretentious. If it helps, when taking vacations, Four Seasons Resorts and JW are my preferred hotel brands.  I have never had a bad stay in either and they have always made me welcomed.

We seem pretty similar. I am also 50 and although not single, cruise solo quite a bit. I went to college in Texas.

Two things that might help you decide: 1) The cabin size (our only issue with Crystal is the cabin size). 2) Go to the boards for each line. Read lots of posts and try to get a feel for the passengers of each.

Yes, I know this is extremely biased and a small sampling, but by doing that, I found that I got a great feel for Crystal and only a so-so feel for Regent. After disembarking Voyager last December, that feeling was validated.

Having said that, though, we absolutely loved Regent, too! So really you can't go wrong! No negative nelly here :)