Cheaper wifi is okay!

arsenalboy

Just returned from the Baltic Cruise on the Silhouette. Was reluctant to purchase the premium wifi due to cost as only wanted to keep in touch with kids back home.

I reconsidered when they brought out the cheaper, but reduced, package.

If it helps anybody, I was able to send back 30 to 45 secs videos with sound to family on FB/Messenger. Whilst it took a few minutes to send all was okay on arrival, photos went immediately.

Speed of general surfing was obviously not the fasted but was not frustrating either, the trick is to find the time when general onboard usage is lower.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, arsenalboy said:

Just returned from the Baltic Cruise on the Silhouette. Was reluctant to purchase the premium wifi due to cost as only wanted to keep in touch with kids back home.

If it helps anybody, I was able to send back 30 to 45 secs videos with sound to family on FB/Messenger. Whilst it took a few minutes to send all was okay on arrival, photos went immediately.

Speed of general surfing was obviously not the fasted but was not frustrating either, the trick is to find the time when general onboard usage is lower.

That's good to know, thanks.

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2019 at 4:02 PM, arsenalboy said:

Glad to know that Surf Internet met your needs; I too am reluctant to pay so much for the unlimited wifi.  You mention that speed was OK, but I was wondering if you had any experience / success with wifi calling...

TIA

2 hours ago, OT-Miami said:

Glad to know that Surf Internet met your needs; I too am reluctant to pay so much for the unlimited wifi.  You mention that speed was OK, but I was wondering if you had any experience / success with wifi calling...

TIA

I have the same question were you able to make phone calls ?

I too am awaiting response about wifi calling .  All we need to do is check our business email and go on our business website to check for messages.  We would also want to make wifi calling.  We figured we would buy the regular internet package but if the Surf package suffice,s of course we would rather spend less.

18 minutes ago, Fixit2010 said:

Why don't you take out the unlimited package so you can do your wifi calling and charge it as a business expense back to your business?

That's what we do.

One thing to bear in mind though is that the speed experienced onboard is dependent on your actual location. If it's slow in your stateroom move your device to a few public areas and see if there is a difference. On a B2B we found it slow on the first leg and even had a ships officer check the speed for us who confirmed this. On the second leg we moved to an aft cabin where the speed improved considerably. 

14 minutes ago, Fixit2010 said:

Depends on how far you are from an access point and if your phone switches from one point to the next without getting confused.  Still think onboard wifi has a way to go, but its improving.

It's actually signal strength rather than physical distance, though distance does also affect signal strength too. In my case it was the architecture of the ship resulting in one cabin being slow despite being close to the nearest access point. 

It is getting better but still seems very slow compared to wifi at home. 

Edited by Mynki