Amsterdam

richwmn

2 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Just got caught up on everything.

No totes??  Another cut back??

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I don't know about the Amsterdam, but we definitely had totes the first week of June on the Westerdam...

It could be a supply chain issue and Amsterdam just did not get re-supplied before the first Alaska cruise of the season, or they could be phasing them out and individual ships using up any stores they have until they run out ....

• Like 1

If the tote bags were not delivered the evening before the first port, I doubt if they are coming this late in the cruise.  Well, I guess we'll all just have to wait and see if this is indeed a cut-back, or if it was an isolated issue, as someone mentioned, of Amsterdam simply not having stock. I love having my big collection of totes in the trunk of my car to use for shopping.  About half are the old white canvas, and half the new navy blue ones.  I don't hate the new ones as much as everyone else seems to. They work great for groceries and remind me of cruising....

Thanks for the review of the Beatles act.  That sounds like something I would really enjoy.  I hope they'll be on Amsterdam in August for us!

So sad the end of your cruise is coming... and thanks again for this thread.

2 hours ago, sppunk said:

There were no totes on Volendam in late May but I asked our steward the next to last night about them and that night two were on the bed after turndown.

I got the same service, but no indication as to the reason we didn't have one earlier.

6 hours ago, tampagirl2 said:

Thanks for this review. We are thinking of booking this ship next year for New England/Canada. Is there an arcade ( video games for kids)?

Also is there an indoor pool?

Thanks

There is a kids program for all ages up to 17 (different groups)- no arcade.  Not sure if there are video games up in the kids' space, but they would have to sign into the program to use them.  Yes, the lido pool is completely indoors when weather doesn't allow for opening the roof.  (And when weather does permit, it's still "indoors", but open to the sky.)

On 6/5/2019 at 10:18 PM, richwmn said:

Since we don't have the upgraded entertainment system I thought I might mention the movies now showing on the TV.

Last night one of the 3 choices was Blended, with Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore.

Tonight:

Ch 35: Ant Man and the Wasp

Ch 36: A Medea Family Funeral

Ch 37: The Miracle (Last night's feature in the Wajang Theater)

Is there an option for an Upgraded Entertainment System on the Amsterdam?

If so, please give details about what it provides and for what price.

Also, wondering if this is something new on all HAL ships.

No, it's not an option.  Vista class ships and above have the upgraded entertainment system where, somewhat similar to your home cable setup, you can pick from a wide range of movies, music, and other entertainment that is "on demand".  No longer are you relegated to just the few movies as mentioned above or having to pick through a list of DVDs available to check out at guest services.  Also you can see your onboard account, daily menus, and what's going on around the ship.  From what I've read, the smaller ships (like Amsterdam) which still have the older TV monitors and DVD players will not be upgraded to flat screens and the entertainment system, at least any time soon as I guess it's quite the undertaking and expense to rewire the ships to accommodate it.

Good Morning,
Today we are at our last stop, Victoria, BC, Canada
We will be in Victoria until 10:30 this evening
Entertainment tonight:
Ocean Bar:
The Ocean Trio plays at 7:45, and 8:45
Piano Bar:
Wally B plays from 7:45 till close
Explorers's Lounge:
Adagio will perform at 7:30, and 8:30
Main Stage:
No show due to long day in Victoria
Movie:
White Fang
Today's movies on the TV
Ch35: Rampage
Ch36: Instant Family   
Ch37: Bohemian Rhapsody
Happy Hour:
4:00 - 5:00 in the Ocean Bar and Crow's Nest,
9:45 - 10:45 in the Ocean Bar, 10:00 - 11:00 in the Crow's Nest
over the course of the day - Scattagories, Pickleball, Ping Pong, Party
Bridge, Mahjong and more

TowelAnimal20190615.jpg

W&W20190616A.jpg

W&W20190616B.jpg

5 hours ago, Moriah said:

There is a kids program for all ages up to 17 (different groups)- no arcade.  Not sure if there are video games up in the kids' space, but they would have to sign into the program to use them.  Yes, the lido pool is completely indoors when weather doesn't allow for opening the roof.  (And when weather does permit, it's still "indoors", but open to the sky.)

Thanks

38 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Roger Jett (Crew News) was recently on the Westerdam and has a copy of the Children's menu -- it is the same on all ships.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/

/1

Thank you! I can’t seem to find the kid’s menu on his site? I’ll keep looking. Thanks for the link.

3 hours ago, zelker said:

No, it's not an option.  Vista class ships and above have the upgraded entertainment system where, somewhat similar to your home cable setup, you can pick from a wide range of movies, music, and other entertainment that is "on demand". 

Not all Vistas have the upgraded system yet, the Noordam will not have this until its scheduled dry dock this October after the Alaska cruise season. The Noordam still has the small 24" TV on the desk, while Vistas like the Westerdam that have been upgraded have the large 42" wall mounted TV and information system.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, tampagirl2 said:

Thanks for this review. We are thinking of booking this ship next year for New England/Canada. Is there an arcade ( video games for kids)?

Also is there an indoor pool?

Thanks

I have spoken to several families that found once they were on board there was no kids program.  They will need a minimum number of children to have the program. I have never seen video games but haven't looked in the teen room in a few years. I know that there are some rules about the indoor pool including, no swim diapers. Also I believe you can not bring floaty things into the pool, such as lounges or tubes. However a cruise to Alaska provides so many ports to explore it makes up for the children area's on board.  You may want to post this on a separate thread so you can get a wider answer from more families. 

1 hour ago, echoshipmate said:

Thank you richwmn for all the information you have posted. I know I appreciate all your efforts. My upcoming trip will benefit from your time and efforts. Thank you!

I too want to thank you for a great report. It takes time and dedication to answer and include all you have done. It will make many future cruisers happy and full of anticipation. I am excited to cruise later this summer on the same ship and ports. Thank you all who have contributed to make this a valuable report. And thank you Rich for taking us along. 

I just asked the concierge in the Neptune about the totes.  She was VERY apologetic and said they did not get replenished after the World Cruise.  She said that they had not been discontinued by HAL...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1